jeannie_nguyen

What's on your windows?

Jeannie Nguyen
10 years ago
How are the windows in your home dressed?

Take a photo and post it in the comments!

Classic Stripe Drapes, Taupe, Set of 2 · More Info

Comments (82)

• Carolyn Stobie
    10 years ago
    My dining room has Roman Blinds on one set of windows and Plantation Shutters on the other ( which hide a driveway to an adjoining property )
  • PRO
    Elizabeth Bolton - ReMax Destiny
    10 years ago
    I have an older house so that dictates my choices. On all the street-side windows I have ball fringe tie-backs from Country Curtains. I've always loved the look and notice and remember fondly any house that has them that I drive past.

On the living room windows, in the back of the house, I have white cotton festoon & jabots. These were also from Country Curtains but sadly I think they're discontinued. I love this look for an antique house and these were so simple to hang.
  • Related Discussions

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    I am amazed at all the different kind's of covering's everyone has ,some look really good ,others look dated and some look like a funeral parlor
  • shawanoe
    10 years ago
    Williamsburg collection drapes to go with the heirloom 3-corner-cupboard and country style home.
  • libratravel
    10 years ago
    Smith and noble valances with honeycombs for light filtration.
  • PRO
    Connie Elaine's Draperies
    10 years ago
    Brandi,
    That is what is so great about window coverings. Anyone can get anything that they like (or nothing but snow and icicles:)

Everyone,
    I love the diversity of styles in this discussion. Since I make window coverings for a living, I appreciate that many people still like some type of fabric treatments. I have made many that were not necessarily my taste, but the customers loved them because they did get what they wanted. 25 years ago there were 25 to 30 drapery workrooms in my community of 120,000. Today there are only about 3 of us that still make window coverings, and my installer says I am the only one who still can do the standard pinch pleated drapes, along with many other styles.

I also respect those who wish to not have any covering if there is no need or desire. Believe it, or not, I have talked people out of covering particular windows after asking questions like sahaller45 suggested.

One thing that I am convinced of is the fact that workrooms who are not savvy in window covering design, or mechanics, or are neglectful of quality work help to adversely affect the industry as a whole. I am also glad to see that the pendulum is again slowly swinging back to fabric treatments.
  • printesa
    10 years ago
    For now, I have nothing,,ok, paper if that counts:) Only the kids room has sheers and curtains because I needed them to be able to take naps (they are past that now). The experience I had for that room alone was not a pleasant one so I postponed looking for someone else to do the rest of the house. I know I want sheers in the family room and some modern Roman shades for the rest of the house (roller shades for office). I just need to find someone who will do what I want and not try to convince me to get drapery with all the beads in the world and rods that have pineapples as finials.
  • hebatalla1987
    10 years ago
    Here is mine. In my bedroom. We in Egypt have to put heavy curtains
  • lbaughman
    10 years ago
    I just repainted my master bedroom and added these full-length curtains. Wish I had done it sooner!
  • Kriss
    10 years ago
    The rod had to be placed extra high for our dark brown curtains bc the window to the left of our patio in the family room runs evenly straight across. Looks nice altogether, but somewhat off in isolation.
  • meggielh
    10 years ago
    @lbaughman: love your drapes. I'm looking for the same. Where did you get them, and do they block light sufficiently to reduce glare for tv watching? Thanks so much.
  • lbaughman
    10 years ago
    Thank you! I love them too. I had the drapes made by a local workroom. I bought the fabric from a local retailer, but you can find it from www.pindler.com. The pattern is P1255 Fieldgate. As for reducing the glare, my drapes are purely decorative and don't close all the way. But even without a fabric liner, the cotton is thick enough to prevent a glare. Good luck!
  • Edyta19
    10 years ago
    Here is my dining room.
  • nlj 45231
    10 years ago
    This was in my last house. My current house is still a work in progress.
  • Kriss
    10 years ago
    @meggielh thanks! They are from IKEA and great for darkening the room. We have them in our bedrooms too.
  • Cheryl Radigan
    10 years ago
    We opted for NO window coverings due to the spectacular view. Painted the walls a dark eggplant so that the eye goes right out the windows. The bonus at Christmas time is that the reflections are spectacular also!
  • PRO
    Kimberley Seldon Design Group
    10 years ago
    Here are my drapes in my 32nd floor condo. I don't know what I would do without them, they add warmth, texture, layers and ties the overall beauty of this space together.
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    10 years ago
    32 floor ,I guess I didn't know buildings went that high
  • yandawara
    10 years ago
    Because my condo is soooo small (less than 500 sq. ft) and my furniture a bit eclectic, I decided to keep it simple and natural and try to bring in some light without sacrifiing intimity. A straw rolling blind with white cotton pannels in the living room (photo 1); and wood venetian blinds (for opacity) and the same white cotton panels in the bedroom (photo 2). The pannels are from IKEA (RIVTA), so are the wood blind (LINDMON), which I customized to fit inside the patio door frame, by taping all the slats together with masking tape before cutting them on a table saw (and sanding the end of each slat!!).
  • yandawara
    10 years ago
    I think my photos did not load properly... here they are, and sorry if I uploaded them twice!!
  • yandawara
    10 years ago
    Oops, I think Privacy would have been is a better choice of word than Intimity... sorry, english is not my first language. I'm french canadian. Intimité is the french word for Privacy so I got mixed up! ; )
  • PRO
    SoYoung Mack Design, Assoc. AIA
    10 years ago
    I have Conrad natural reed roman shades throughout my great room and kitchen, They are somewhat translucent so you can still see the valley views through them in the living room while they are closed, and in the kitchen you can see the lovely silhouette of trees against the shades.
  • redtail47
    10 years ago
    Just redid several rooms and here are few shots from my dining room, one before window treatment. Wanted intimate setting and chose ivory wool (quite pricy but hangs soooo beautifully) with thin gold grosgrain on leading edge, slight break on floor, hung on brass iron rod over matching faux Roman shade. It has become a dining room I can't resist using! Reactions?
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    10 years ago
    These silk London shades hang in my living room. Made them years ago and they are still my favorite window treatment.
  • wmsdeb1
    10 years ago
    Absolutely lovely!!!!
  • oddduck25
    10 years ago
    The first window treatment I made in my powder room (please forgive the terrible lighting)
  • oddduck25
    10 years ago
    And we rejuvenated our kitchen and made some window treatments for it. I love the bright colors! They pop against the neutral walls and cabinets.
  • PRO
    MannKidwell
    10 years ago
    Wow! People are bringing out the big guns - some beautiful widow treatments!
  • katie32123
    10 years ago
    In our previous house we added bamboo roll up shades to various full length glass doors for privacy. Imagine my shock when I discovered they are completely see-through at night when the lights are on! Needless to say, they were quickly replaced.
  • PRO
    KTLinteriors
    10 years ago
    Canvas painters drop cloths. Love the color and they can be any length you desire in an instant. Cost effective too!
  • pearlsandjeans
    10 years ago
    Klazor47 Love your room! The drapes are perfect.
  • PRO
    KTLinteriors
    10 years ago
    Thank you. It has been a labor of love. We just finished this addition in December.
  • PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    10 years ago
    brown velvet against blue bird blue, perfect, soothing combo.
  • Nancy
    10 years ago
    Lori, the brown and blue is predominantly the colours in my living room. I notice though you have a real punch of colour in your chairs though. I thought of doing the same but with either yellow or candy apple green. Not sure I am brave enough yet though! I'm probably still stuck in the matchey-matchey phase. Would love to see photos of the rest of your room.
  • drakeland
    10 years ago
    These are in our living room area. Awful lighting, I apologize. Curtains are white and dark navy. Underneath are builder standard 1" mini blinds (just moved in 2 months ago).
  • drakeland
    10 years ago
    Curtains are dark navy and white (sorry for the awful lighting). Behind are builder standard 1" mini blinds-just moved into a new build 2 months ago.
  • lilchik
    10 years ago
    drakeland, love that pattern on your curtains! Would you mind sharing the source for this fabric or curtains? thanks
  • drakeland
    10 years ago
    @lichik, of course! Believe it or not, I found these at Home Depot (Canada).
  • drakeland
    10 years ago
    @lilchik, of course! Believe it or not, I found these at Home Depot (Canada).
  • lilchik
    10 years ago
    Really? Do you know the brand name? Any tags on them?
  • drakeland
    10 years ago
    @lilchik "Trellis" grommet curtains made by Thermalogic
  • Lydia Trible L
    10 years ago
    wow this is so nice i`ll make an odder for some of your products they look so cool
  • Lynn Eve K
    10 years ago
    I have a monochromatic chocolate look going on in my condo living room, and took advantage of the high ceilings to hang my ready-made velvet drapes from Restoration Hardware.
  • onnie128
    10 years ago
    Our windows are naked....
  • Ces Anciano
    10 years ago
    black § white for me
  • PRO
    Folding Chair Design
    10 years ago
    My daughter's room has roman shades in Waverly fabric that play off the gray stripes we painted.
  • ced653
    10 years ago
    This is our kitchen pelmet, I love it!!
  • Karyn Jolink
    10 years ago
    On my bays at home nothing and simple white panels at the cottage which came with and I haven't yet decided what I want do any suggestions ?
  • rock59165
    10 years ago
    Cindy Crawford curtains in our family room
  • nramsey1
    10 years ago
    My bedroom. Added blue block to white panels.