draccah

HELP: Corian vs Staron

Dominique Raccah
10 years ago
We're putting in a new kitchen (and master bath and powder room) in our fantastic midcentury modern home. We're not quite finding the right colors on Corian (the closest is Everest which was discontinued) so our designer suggested Staron. We've had GREAT experience with Corian in two previous kitchen remodels. I don't know anything about Staron (this is the first I've heard of them). Have you any experience? How do these compare?

Thanks,
Dominique

Comments (17)

• PRO
    Dream Home Designs
    10 years ago
    Look for a natural stone corian was in style years ago and will make your new kitchen look dated.
  • PRO
    Mean Design
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    They are both acrylic. Corian's patent ran out after 10 years (?)... after that, competitors came running. http://www.countertopguides.com/guides/comparing-the-top-solid-surface-countertop-manufacturers.html
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Mean D, thanks for that info. I never heard of Staron. Do you think that if a home decorator store carried Corian, that there can’t be a similar competitor?
  • PRO
    Mean Design
    10 years ago
    I think I understand your question, and I would answer no. However, Corian does have more experience at doing what they do, and they may have a better warranty.
  • PRO
    DDS Design Services, LLC by Jeff Kida
    10 years ago
    Staron is a competitor to Corian. There are others as well such as Hi-Macs from LG. As long as they are solid acrylics they should perform the same.
  • kellykm123
    10 years ago
    I have Corian and it stains, I hate it!
  • maggiemaxwell
    10 years ago
    Have had white Corian for 30 years with no problems, no scratches, no stains, but I'd watch out for the newcomers. My daughter has a Corian-wannabe countertop and it stains and scratches easily.
  • Michael O'Loughlin
    8 years ago

I have had really good luck with Corian, but definitely stay away from HI-MACS from LG Hausys. It scratches and cracks easily and the 15 year warranty LG Hausys gives is not worth the paper its written on. http://thefarmgardenblog.com/2015/10/09/hi-macs-solid-surface-counter-review/

• PRO
    Touchstone Concrete
    8 years ago

Staron is made by Samsung - Corian by DuPont both are excellent and both meet the exact same ASTM specifications. Solid surface acrylic is likely the very best countertop material. We install Quartz, granite, Corian and Staron - recently installed Staron in our personal house and we could not be happier. We removed brown granite tops that where chipped, stained and scratched.

• f_bambucik
    8 years ago

I just agreed for switching my very first choice to have quartz in my kitchen, for Staron because of the seems that are not too discreet with quartz. the plan is nearly 4meters long. I was first ferocely against Corian and similars because of stains and it does not bear heat. Finally I was convinced that it can be easily refurbished. Hope I will not regret. Will know in the next months.

• Judy Mishkin
    8 years ago

just dont do a corian sink, my was stained, and cracked around the drain.

• missenigma
    5 years ago

@J. Wells Interior Design, Inc Thanks for posting this information. Does your comment regarding Staron turning in UV over time apply to just their sinks or both their sinks and counters?

• PRO
    hurlston-tseng designs
    4 years ago

Thank you ! Great post @J. Wells Interior Design, Inc. Have just been out comparing counter tops Staron and Corian for a project today

• chinablue8
    4 years ago

Staron fading?

i chose Staron from the tempest line in whippoorwill and had it installed in my Las Vegas kitchen where direct strong and hot sunlight coming thru the many windows came in contact with the countertops every day for 5 years with absolutely no-color fade. Staron is excellent product! After 5 years it looks as new as it was first installed, no-chips, no-cracks, no-scratches, no-stains! I love the product so much i remolded the bathroom with it. The walk-in shower walls and shower pan were customized using the identical materials, best of all absolutely no-seams! and 100% waterproof! Its difficult finding and customizing matching shower pans which usually only come in 3-basic colors. I also had Staron installed 1/2 way up on all of the bathroom walls too! Now the entire bathroom is the easiest to keep sparkling clean!

• lapetitemel19
    4 years ago

wow @chinablue8 that sounds awesome! "easiest to keep sparkling clean". Sounds expensive though? can you share a budget range

@J. Wells Interior Design, Inc thanks so much for sharing, that is so helpful! What about in hard water, does that pose a challenge?

• chinablue8
    4 years ago

The bathroom install was 5yrs ago at a total price of $15,000

Please keep in mind that was for a transition and tear out from ceramic tile surround with bathtub, to complete walk in shower. The concrete floor was drilled, drain pipes replaced by code from 3" bathtub to 4" shower floor drain, i requested all enclosure walls to first be replaced with 1/2 inch cement backer boards before the Staron was installed, the cost of toilet & sink was $1,300 plus all new moen shower and sink fixtures installed. I have a whole house on demand eco-water refiner that filters and softens the water, haven't had any issues with water spots, although everyone uses a shower squeegee daily. For cleaning i use multi-surface mr clean meadows & rain. The kitchen countertop cost $4,000 the price included a cooktop and sink cutout and install of both with a seamless 4" backsplash. bath and kitchen projects were preformed by the same company. Because of a recent relocation i find myself wanting to upgrade a new construction home's countertops. I've been researching and find that every countertop material has problems & issues. I thought of installing Cambria Quartz or Caesar Stone until i read all the bad reviews and horror stories by owners, then looked at granite and said YIPES NO! Then Marble, Fantasy Brown, Soapstone, Concrete, Quartzite, Stainless Steel, everything has so many problems and issues i'm thinking its best to stay with Staron, the only issue is never set a hot anything directly on it or it will melt/scorch but that appears to be all countertop material issues anyway, at least the solid surface will not fade or discolor, it can be repaired, rebuffed and its seamless. I haven't found or read any owner problems with Staron or Corian countertops ???