mark617

Stacked stone in the shower...bad idea?

mark617
10 years ago
I have purchased crema marfil marble as a stacked stone (see photo) for my master bathroom shower walls, 2 walls total, about 90 square feet. I am concerned about some of the comments I have been reading about the difficulty with cleaning the stone in the shower...should I keep it simple?

Comments (32)

• countbla
    10 years ago
    I can't imagine how you could clean that kind of stone on a regular basis, keep mold out of all the nooks and crannies, if used in a shower (and grouting will be very difficult). Looks neat, however - could you use it around/above the lav/vanity, where cleaning is not a much of an issue?
    mark617 thanked countbla
  • lasa
    10 years ago
    Looks stunning. If you dont mind devoting significant time to clean up and maintenance go for it.
    mark617 thanked lasa
  • PRO
    BY Design Home Staging and Decorating
    10 years ago
    I agree - looks like the perfect place for mold and soap scum to hang out, but could be gorgeous somewhere else.
    mark617 thanked BY Design Home Staging and Decorating
  • condomary
    10 years ago
    I agree with countbla. . It looks very nice though. Something I like to look at but not take care of :-)
    mark617 thanked condomary
  • wallopollo
    10 years ago
    Seal it with a good stone sealer. One that will help repel water. (Concrete sealer)
    mark617 thanked wallopollo
  • kimdee24
    10 years ago
    It looks beautiful but I wouldn't want it IN my shower.
    mark617 thanked kimdee24
  • judy1740
    10 years ago
    Looks beautiful for anything but a shower. I put a smooth marble in mine and hate it with a passion. Where the water sits around the drain has discolored and it always looks streaky. The texture being rough would make it a nightmare to clean.
    mark617 thanked judy1740
  • PRO
    Kent Halex Architecture
    10 years ago
    Tend to agree with many of the comments. I too was romantic about this and put an 18x18 Jerusalem limestone in my shower. Sounds like yours is perhaps 4'x9' -similar to mine so the walls and sills always get wet. Unless you seal the stone and grout it will become an issue. any rough edges that mold can establish itself on it will. I also used a split limestone on my front steps -the smooth surface is easy to clean but the split face edge (which you would have in your shower) has to be power washed every year. Having said all that my worst problem with the shower has been mold getting into the stone and under the silicone at the edge of the glass. Bottom line is showers that get used every day are tough to keep clean, even the simplest designs, the right materials and sealers will stave off the shower blues longer.
    mark617 thanked Kent Halex Architecture
  • condomary
    10 years ago
    Where did you go Mark. Are you going to use your marble for the shower? Sounds like you got it specifically for that.
    mark617 thanked condomary
  • PRO
    Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
    10 years ago
    Reputable sellers usually give "category use" for product they are selling. It's pretty surprising to see that material for that use. Even if you make it work for you I think it would effect resale value as the prospective buyer perception would be "high maintenance" item.
    mark617 thanked Siegler Design Services + INTERIORS
  • mark617
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @condomary, sorry, was out of town for several days...yes, I did purchase the stone for inside the shower and for the vanity wall...I think I am stuck with the material as it was special order. I think/hope I can reuse it elsewhere, possible above tub on the wall
  • yoboseiyo
    10 years ago
    well, stacked stone doesn't get grouted, as it's a dry stack, but to clean it, you'll need a nylon brush, and you'll have to make sure to seal it at least once a year, every 6mo if this is a heavy use area. being the master bath, it'll be heavy use.

for stacked stone, get a good, spray on sealer, and realise that stacked stone will take a lot of sealer. it'll just soak it right up. multiple coats of sealer are never a bad thing.
    mark617 thanked yoboseiyo
  • PRO
    Edmond Kitchen & Bath LLC
    10 years ago
    The gaps between the stones would be my concern. Sealers will not close the miniscule gaps between rocks. Water will wick in there and get behind your stone. A waterproofing membrane that goes floor to ceiling - such as Kerdi - will keep water out of your sheetrock or walls, but I would be concerned that it would never dry behind, causing a lifetime of mold to grow there.
    mark617 thanked Edmond Kitchen & Bath LLC
  • PRO
    Tile Circle
    10 years ago
    We wouldn't recommend this for a bathroom shower or any other wet areas. It is perfect for around the fire place but just as everyone else has mentioned, mold would be a problem because you can't gout it and clean it well enough.
    mark617 thanked Tile Circle
  • PRO
    Dunrite Contracting
    10 years ago
    I had a customer who asked me the same question and the answer was move the stacked stone floor to ceiling on vanity wall and did shower in a really cool glass tile with marble mud job shower floor
    mark617 thanked Dunrite Contracting
  • PRO
    Contracostacarpenter
    10 years ago
    I have done this before, and No there is not problem .
    1. Very good ventilation with windows are at must.
    2. Wall seal with waterproof coating ( like the one they used on roof and cover decks ) is at must.
    3. Seal the stone with the some sealer they used on boat. Clear epoxy. Very difficult to apply. So you may ask some one that work on boats,to help you with the application.
    4. With all of this, NOT PROBLEM.
    mark617 thanked Contracostacarpenter
  • mark617
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Seal the wall prior to adding the stone?
  • PRO
    Tile Circle
    10 years ago
    Sealing the wall prior is a good idea so that you don't get mold on the wall but mold will build up between the stones because you can't properly grout it. It's not worth the risk in the long run.
    mark617 thanked Tile Circle
  • PRO
    Contracostacarpenter
    10 years ago
    Yes, you need to seal the wall with the water proofing material, and mold resistant hardy backer. The epoxy will take care the gap between them. Make sure that this stone are very tide together. Gap like a paper foil is not a problem for the epoxy. Gap of 1/8" will be a problem and look unprofessional.
    mark617 thanked Contracostacarpenter
  • PRO
    FINNE Architects
    10 years ago
    We are using textured basalt for a fireplace wall, but I would not use a strongly textured stone in a shower.
    mark617 thanked FINNE Architects
  • cgraham1234
    8 years ago

Mark..did you end up using the stacked stone in your shower?

• pegblac12
    8 years ago
    Don't do it!
  • mark617
    Original Author
    8 years ago

I did NOT do it :) I went with honed, Diana Royal Marble on the walls, 12 x 24, see pic.

• PRO
    Talie Jane Interiors
    8 years ago

I agree; I love the look of the stacked stone in the shower. But, in terms of practicality, it's not the best choice. It can be frustrating when our design ideas and visions don't mesh with functionality. However, there is usually a compromise. Perhaps you have a shower that is not often used?

• mark617
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Talie Jane, I only have 2 showers, well 3 if you count outside :) I have travertine in the other and i hope this is my last bathroom to deal with for a very long time. I learned a lot from this project, no doubt

• PRO
    Talie Jane Interiors
    7 years ago

You may be better off using this stacked stone technique elsewhere in your home so you can still enjoy this look without the hassle. A more practical tile installation will be easier to maintain since you'll be utilizing this shower on a regular basis.

• Jane Teague
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Has anyone had experience with the new textural stone-looking porcelain? Is there an easy way to dry it after showering? Is there a non-toxic sealer for indoor use (cement sealer that I know of is very toxic). And how about a scrub brush for seasonal deeper cleaning? Does everyone still recommend a smooth surface in a shower area?

• Shirley
    6 years ago

I wished I would have read this before I put the stacked stone in my shower. Now that its too late and I have it. I would appreciate any comments on how to clean it .

• PRO
    Dunrite Contracting
    6 years ago
    This is Vincent Davis , the President of Dunrite Contracting of Hopewell Jct . I received a request to respond to someone about stacked stone in a shower ? Good or Bad idea? My email is vinnydunritecontracting@gmail.com . Feel free to email me personally if you read this message. I don't know why I am not able to respond to you directly. And I did not want you to think I was avoiding the question or being rude by not answering you .
    mark617 thanked Dunrite Contracting
  • brandybmw
    6 years ago

Shirley, which orientation is your stone? How long have you had it? What have you noticed?

• Sandy Vioski
    10 months ago

i was going to use stacked stone in my shower on opposite wall of shower head but i was worried after researching and contractor said it would be ok there since it is on opposite side of shower head, 15 feet x 3 feet. woukd it work in my shower? or above vanity?