sha7679

Before & After Kitchen - From drab 90's to classic traditional

sha7679
10 years ago
I'm very excited about our new kitchen. We moved into the house four years ago and finally updated the kitchen. Although it was tough to live through renovations with two small children in the house, it was totally worth it.

Comments (52)

• User
    10 years ago
    looks amazing!
    sha7679 thanked User
  • wisneb
    10 years ago
    That looks terrific! Not to mention having that functional island and ss appliances! Great job!
    sha7679 thanked wisneb
  • beverlynn
    10 years ago
    Beautiful!
    sha7679 thanked beverlynn
  • Becky Farr
    10 years ago
    Love it
    sha7679 thanked Becky Farr
  • Chem K
    10 years ago
    Nicely done! Now enjoy cooking in it!
    sha7679 thanked Chem K
  • Kathy Martz_Walsh
    10 years ago
    beautiful, just change the light fixtures :)
    sha7679 thanked Kathy Martz_Walsh
  • condomary
    10 years ago
    Very nice
    sha7679 thanked condomary
  • Paulina V.
    10 years ago
    I love the changes you've made. And without altering the footprint drastically. Well done!
    sha7679 thanked Paulina V.
  • PRO
    Carmel Decor
    10 years ago
    Wow! what a transformation, you did a lovely job congratulations, enjoy.
    sha7679 thanked Carmel Decor
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    Nicely done!
    sha7679 thanked Sustainable Dwellings
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    Looks lovely. I would add pieces of trim below the cabinets to finish it off.
    sha7679 thanked Angel 18432
  • arbo
    10 years ago
    I like the changes a lot! I would get two really great light fixtures to replace the existing - maybe a funky pendant over the island. For those on facebook who say the cabinets are 80's, they don't realize that Shaker style cabinetry has been around for centuries - ignore them.
    sha7679 thanked arbo
  • dclostboy
    10 years ago
    Great island addition...but no more ballroom dancing in the kitchen :)
    sha7679 thanked dclostboy
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    10 years ago
    A pendant light would be lovely above the sink and a track light over the island area might provide better light for the area.... something to consider. The ones shown are from http://www.lampsplus.com/
    sha7679 thanked Stamps Design Services
  • PRO
    DMH DESIGN
    10 years ago
    Sha--I bet you are enjoying the full overlay doors, and not fighting the posts to put away your dishes! Some can lights and a couple of pendants, as SDS suggests will really put the icing on this beautiful cake of yours. It is not easy to work with the constraints you had. Very nice!
    sha7679 thanked DMH DESIGN
  • aliarides
    10 years ago
    Nice island. How many inches of clearance between the two walls (range and sink) is there? Thank you
    sha7679 thanked aliarides
  • PRO
    sha7679 thanked Sandra Alger, CID, Fresh Ideas by Sandy
  • dmarywill
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Congratulations . . . beautiful and the colors I want to use, also. . . is living with a black counter top a problem? It is the look I want.
    sha7679 thanked dmarywill
  • sha7679
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    @aliarides - From island to sink is 34 inches, island to stove is 44 inches.

@dmarywill - The counters have been fine. I was worried too - but I just wipe them down with a wet cloth when needed.

@house2514 - The island top measures 47.5 inches long by 27 inches wide. I was afraid it would be too tight but it hasn't been an issue at all. Before it was all just dead space. I needed the extra counter room to work and now I use it all the time.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. The people on facebook have been rough. We wanted an upgrade but had to work with the layout and a somewhat limited budget. The space opens up more for our kitchen table - which is not shown - so it isn't as tight as the picture makes it look.
  • orlielea
    10 years ago
    OMG! What a transformation. I love what you've done. It's so modern and fresh.
  • danka_doo
    10 years ago
    Beautiful transformation. Does look like a new home!
  • indianpatti
    10 years ago
    Great transformation! Adding a bit of color with roman shade would look nice too:
  • PRO
    Design Connection, Inc.
    10 years ago
    I think you did a great job. I like that you added an island for extra use and storage.
  • decoratinglady5
    10 years ago
    The room is modern and clean..great job!!
  • Carolyn Thomas
    10 years ago
    We have similar cabinets and a similar kitchen. I want to change them in an inexpensive way. Did you reface, replace or what did you do to the cabinets?
  • sandibb
    10 years ago
    What are the dimensions of the kitchen?
  • janiern
    10 years ago
    Dramatic changes... very nice! I really love it.
  • booksareus
    10 years ago
    Looks fantastic!!
  • Darzy
    10 years ago
    Ditto! Looks great!
  • PRO
    Supreme Floor Company
    10 years ago
    Love the little bit of red..
  • pooky20
    10 years ago
    I love those cabinets? Might I ask what brand are they? Thanks!
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    10 years ago
    Congrats, really nicer !
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 years ago
    Very nice. I would have put in recessed lights. But a good job.
  • carollynn56
    10 years ago
    Having renovations done at my house as we speak, I appreciate what a beautiful job you have done. Think that the suggestions about lighting and window treatments would enhance what you have already done. Thank you for sharing.
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    10 years ago
    Totally worth it is right!
  • PRO
    Charette Design
    10 years ago
    Love the "cup" pulls on the drawers......wonderful transformation! The combination of the white cabinet finish with stainless steel appliances and black counter tops worked great!
  • saratogaswizzlestick
    10 years ago
    This looks great. I would like to know the brand of cabinet as well. It is modern but classic as well.
  • PRO
    Sustainable Dwellings
    10 years ago
    I really like it! So clean and crisp.
  • User
    10 years ago
    You have a winner. Beautiful results.
  • cloudpants
    10 years ago
    Lovely clean, fresh &. Stylish Reno. Well done!
  • sha7679
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    We got the cabinets at Lowe's. The brand is Shenandoah.
  • PRO
    Michael Lee, Inc
    10 years ago
    Great job on this transformation
  • cani
    10 years ago
    I'm glad I saw this because I have been looking at the same cabinet style and wondered how they would look. I have a small kitchen and these cabinets are always shown in gigantic kitchens so it was hard to judge how they would look in a smaller size kitchen. You have more space than me because I don't think I can squeeze an island in with my layout. I love the way yours turned out. What facebook page are you referring to that had negative comments? Someone in the comments here alluded to the facebook comments about the cabinet style and defended you. The style you have is very popular and I like that it can be modern or classic just by the handles that are put on. May I ask just what the cabinets ran as I am in the process of just starting out on this project. It looks great!
  • kitchensky
    10 years ago
    Great updates. I love that you kept your tile. We had the same kitchen in yellow and recently upgraded to!
  • PRO
    KBR Design & Build
    10 years ago
    So gorgeous, everything from the countertops to the hardware
  • PRO
    Travis Robert Renovations
    9 years ago
    Great update!
  • PRO
    True Craft Builders Inc
    7 years ago

Great job!

• PRO
    The RTA Store
    7 years ago

Great transformation!

• acm
    7 years ago

guys, is there some reason to resurrect this 3-year-old post for belated kudos?

• PRO
    Mega Builders
    7 years ago

Very nice!