nlj45231

New House Design Floorplan Question

nlj 45231
10 months ago

I've not posted here before; only reading the advice. We are finalizing plans for our home to "age in place in" and I wanted to ask advice on our nearly final plan. House is single story, farmhouse style, no bonus room and an unfinished basement. It's just my husband and I, no children. I'm really happy with the plan overall; there is just one thing that I'm not thrilled with. Our primary entry and exit from the house will be through our garage. In our plan, we have to walk through a "shortish" hallway to get to the garage; I'm sure it will be fine (and my DH doesn't understand why I'm thinking about it), but I worry that we may regret not having a shorter path to the garage through the kitchen. Our basement stairs are to the right as we enter the house. We plan for an open stairway with railing to make the hallway feel more spacious; door is at the bottom. Our mudroom has a nice bench with dropzone and a huge closet to keep shoes, coats, vacuums, etc. in the entry area. We tried a doorway into the kitchen so we could turn right as we enter the house from the garage, but it stunted the kitchen cabinets and I felt it was a safety concern to be walking in front of an open stairway.

We really love the planned size of the kitchen, butler's pantry and pantry. In our current house we enter into our house through the laundry room and I don't dislike seeing my laundry area; only need for it to have storage, a large close and a sink. Am I overthinking this? Do any of the talented people here have suggestions?

Floorplan

Main Kitchen Wall

Second Kitchen Wall

Butler's Pantry

Laundry 1

Laundry 2

Comments (18)

Sponsored