cindy_ziegler66

kitchen dilemma.

Cindy Ziegler
last year
last modified: last year

Putting in new granite, countertops, called gray, Steele and changing out the backsplash. Getting under mount lighting installed to brighten things up. My question is should I paint the Island a different color? My floor has blacks, grays and earth tones to match cabinets. I cannot paint the cabinets at this time. Will be changing hardware also! HELP

Comments (32)

• jck910
    last year

Are you doing an overhang so those stools at the island are usable? I'd need to see the countertops as I would not do gray with those cabinets. Make sure you don't do the new backsplash double like the backsplash there now

• Kelly Jones
    last year

Changing the island color will depend on what is chosen for the countertop and backsplash... have you picked those out yet? I would do something with color, probably a sagey green or the right color of aqua.

• Related Discussions

Dilemma in freezing the plan..

Q

Comments (2)
    This is second option where bathroom has been removed from the front room from left hand side..
    ...See More

DILEMMA IN SELECTING OF KITCHEN HOOD/CHIMNEY!

Q

Comments (1)
    My go to hood is Vent-a-Hood for all of my high end kitchens. They are quiet, highly efficient, and different technology than any that you suggested above as far as the filtering.
    ...See More

hi all, dilemma as to how to create a private dining.

Q

Comments (7)
    Hello suganya, You can cover the complete kitchen with the glass facade.. with semi opaque glass films.. over the island counter you can give a slider window of 2ft height so that you can be connected to the people in the dinning area whenever you want to.. this will allow you manage both the guest and the mess in the kitchen..
    ...See More

design dilemma.. ideas please

Q

Comments (8)
    Hello Deezpage, Before implementation take care of certain points, 1) In the master bathroom do you need two different basins + two different bathing area ( shower trey + bath tub)? Instead you can make it look bigger in size by providing the fixtures and fittings which you need. 2) Master bedroom wardrobe section --you can demolish the wall and provide wardrobe as a partition which will give more openness to the room and will be more effective from the interior point. 3) I agree with cornerstone about changing the kitchen door position and shifting it on the dining room side which will be convenient for the person working in the kitchen and will give a finished look in the foyer area. 4) For the laundry area you can use the upper side for the storage and lower area for the washing machine. 5)Kitchen requires more detailing then other rooms. My suggestion will be to consult a professional instead of planning on your own. For any king of help, you can feel free to contact us.
    ...See More
  • Chris H
    last year

I know this is not what you asked but I’m curious if you can tell me the distance between your island and the counters, range, and wall? And how big your island is? We are planning our kitchen and this is a layout my husband wants (I do not 😂 but I digress).

• housegal200
    last year

Incomplete information. Please show the countertops/backsplash chosen. The best choice for both with current floor and wood cabinets is in a light warm earthtone direction, not gray in a dark kitchen. The color of the island is secondary. Also needed is wall color, whether kitchen opens up to larger space. Please show entire space and materials chosen.

Note kitchen floor, which has a lot of gray and black, but countertops and backsplash are light with warm brown pattern to echo cabinets and golden parts of the floor.

Forest Retreat Kitchen · More Info

• felizlady
    last year

Undermount lighting only accentuates what’s below the upper cabinets. Not worth the expense. General lighting is much more important. Your kitchen feels dark. I would not add gray counters which will only add to the dark feel. I would definitely paint the island a lighter color, and use a light-color counter. If people sit on the island stools, an overhang is necessary for comfort.

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

Yes, there is going to be an overhang on island for seating. This is a picture of new granite. I will pick out a very light subway tile, but won’t pick it until granite is in. It has light blue running thru it

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

This is for Chris. Hope this helps you

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

Oh and by the way I switched granite from Steele gray to this one, much lighter

• Chris H
    last year

@Cindy Ziegler thanks i dont think this shows those dimensions. No worries. It was just the first kirchen Ive seen similar in size. I feel like we will bump into each other with this set up but he still likes it. We created a mock up with cabinets and are living with it for a while before making a decision. Do you feel like this flows well for your home?

• housegal200
    last year

The lighter sample is great. The usual advice for backsplash is lightest shade of countertop background, so get some samples that go with the light granite.

Undercabinet lighting doesn't have to be expensive.

If you're a newbie to Houzz, to get the best answers, you need to provide photos from the get-go of all four walls so people can see adjoining spaces. No use recommending wall paint just for kitchen if it opens to dining or living room area. A Design Dilemma should involve the entire space, not just one element like your island color. But now that there's been a lot of back and forth, choose lightest countertop and backsplash. Get them installed along with other suggestions made if they fit in your budget. Then show Houzz the results to see if you still need to paint the island.

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

For housegal200: Why do you say no recommendations for the paint? I am planning on painting lighter. It does open up to the living room and the whole open area is beige which I want to eventually change. Just wondering…

• housegal200
    last year

Well, since you didn't show the entire adjoining space, what if people said, paint your kitchen green? We had no way of knowing the kitchen was open to other areas that have to be taken into account since you didn't show the entire space. In any case, change out your countertops and backsplash, then come back and ask for further advice. The current busy backsplash makes everything darker and more cluttered feeling. In a tight kitchen, keep things simple and light. What's important is your cute pet has a cute space!

Oh, instead of asking about the island, lose the garbage can. Install a pullout Rev-a-Shelf under the sink and hide the garbage can before wondering about whether the island should be painted. Do you really want to to have a garbage can and garbage bag on display?

• Otter Play
    last year

About under cab lighting…. It is task lighting and puts light in the working area. More general lighting is to light the pretty cabinets, but tends to cast shadows from people working at a counter. I seldom turn on anything but task lighting, but my countertops are very light making my kitchen sufficiently bright. One thing to consider: if you have a highly polished countertop, ask about a diffuser so that you don’t see each and every LED bulb. There are lots of different types or under cab lighting, so you can choose your best price point. Good luck with your project!

• coray
    last year

I agree with waiting to paint the island, hiding the trash in a cabinet (I like mine right next to the sink), and undercab lighting is a great thing! We have LED tape lights with cover/diffusers, both under our cabs and in our glass-door uppers under the ceiling, both on dimmers…..it’s what we keep on at night while watching TV etc.

• housegal200
    last year

Where is your island overhang going to be? I assume at the long end where you have a stool now, right? You have such a narrow passageway between the island and sink side cabinets and the wall. Here's an old Houzz discussion on that subject:

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/2702852/what-is-the-right-aisle-size-between-cabinets-and-island

Better Homes and Garden measurements for island walkway with and without seating. What do you have now?

Seating

When a countertop or island doubles as a seating area, a 28- to 30-inch-wide space per diner is most comfortable. Also plan for 18-inch-deep knee space for 30-inch-high counters, 15 inches for 36-inch counters, and 12 inches for 42-inch counters. Allow a 36-inch clearance behind chairs or stools, measured from counter/table edge to the wall or obstruction. If there is a walkway behind the diner, allow 44-60 inches in the kitchen layout for comfortable passage.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    last year

You need overhead lighting to brighten up that kitchen -- your don't have nearly enough. The first thing you should do is install can lights in there. I love my undercabinet lights, if placed correctly they will light up the countertop - your task area - so while you have the electrician out to remedy the lack of overheads, might as well have him install the undercabinet lights.

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Remove the cabinets over the microwave to get rid of the ”black hole” effect. Replace with open shelving. Paint the island sage green.

• kj s
    last year

Is there tile under the island? I'd be tempted to pick up and reuse those cabinets as part of a C shaped run of cabinets/continous countertop. Turn them 90 degrees and figure out how to attach them by where the garbage can is right now.

• RedRyder
    last year

You’re floor is very dark. The kitchen area needs more light, so I agree with the suggestion to get recessed lights in the entire area. Undermount lighting will play a supporting role. Nine recessed lights would change the room dramatically (in a good way).

I like the new lighter countertop option. Definitely wait to pick the backsplash, but more lighting will dictate the b/s tile, the new paint color and IF you should paint the island. Right now my answer is no, but I would wait for the new countertop installation.

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

Ok update! Granite is in! Backsplash gone (what a mess). Decided on walls Sherwin Wms Silverpoint (light gray) for the walls and a bone white backsplash. New lights going up and under mount lighting will be done! My dilemma is do I go with bone white painted island, or contrast with a darker gray? The kitchen cabinets will not be painted. Ty

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

New lights 3 above island

• PRO
    WW Design Studio
    last year

I would paint your kitchen cabinets a lighter colour and go dark on your island for maximum impact. Update your hardware and paint the gap above the upper cabinets in the same lighter colour.

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

Painting the kitchen cabinets is not an option, just the island. Got new hardware also!

• Chris H
    last year

What is the granite?

• kodiac23
    last year

Changes are great!

• RedRyder
    last year

To get help with the backsplash choices, you need to place the tiles vertically against the backsplash wall (cover it with white paper to help your eyes see the true color of the tiles) and take a photo with as much light as possible. If you installed the under cabinet lights, put them on.

Your torn up backsplash wall will make colors look weird. It needs to be masked.

I’m thinking that pure white might look too glaring with your new countertops. Get some ivory/light taupe/pale beige-y samples too.

Love the new hardware choice. Pretty shape.

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

The granite was called cashmere something, but can’t remember the name

• Amanda Smith
    last year

I love the backsplash tiles you chose. I think that’s what you need to brighten up this kitchen.

• jaja06
    last year

I love your new countertops! And I love your wood cabinets (island included)! I think I love your white backsplash too :) Might have to go toward off-white so it doesn’t look out of place, but you’ll have to see how it all works together after the lighting is all installed. Great job so far!

• Amanda Smith
    last year

Cindy, is your granite gray Kashmir? if so, you may want to use the white backsplash tiles. Beige or taupe may look tired and dated with them.

• Cindy Ziegler
    Original Author
    last year

I don’t think it was gray Kashmir. Is there one called cream Kashmir? Not sure