webuser_580016307

Kitchen Countertop Help

Miki Hopkins
last year

What color countertop? Granite or quartz? Butcher block was my first choice, but not an option. Applliances are going to be stainless. Cabinet pulls & faucet will be black.

Comments (24)

• Susan
    last year

Top picks would be the first quartz option or the the left most granite…they both pick up some of the warm tones/brown(in a good way) in the floor and range hood.

Miki Hopkins thanked Susan
  • Related Discussions

Vetrified floor tiles for kitchen counter top

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I love the look of marbles as kitchen counter tops but am hesitant because of the problems with staining. There are lots of vitrifed glazed floor tiles which give beautiful marble look. Is it advisable to use them as kitchen counter tops? Since they come in 4x2 ft size, the number of joints will be less. Will they be chemically safe around food? Thanks in advance
    ...See More

Need help with Kitchen Countertop- Cabinets-Hardwood floor Combo

Q

Comments (13)
    Your choices don't flow well to me. The flooring in your photo is pretty (very dark...are you okay with it showing every footprint, smudge, and dust bunny? If so, that's fine). From all of your options there I would do white cabinets with the Himalaya White granite. But you said ignore the granite. :) I would go for the gray cabinets with white quartz everywhere in that case, but personally I'd worry about gray cabinets being very dated in a few years. Is there another quartz option that you could pair with the white cabinets that is light in color and maybe has some movement, like LG Bianco Drift?
    ...See More

I want to use fiandre counter top in kitchen and TV unit,i

Q

Comments (3)
    How can we decorate this wall with a TV unit,suggest us
    ...See More

kitchen counter top

Q

Comments (3)
    Hey, IKEA has some great choices in solid surface kitchen countertops. Since you are trying to choose the best material for your kitchen countertops, you can head over to the IKEA website to get help with your decision. There, you can browse the different kitchen countertop options available and compare them. Besides their ready-made countertops, you can also get customised ones, so that they can suit your requirements better.
    ...See More
  • rebunky
    last year
    last modified: last year

I agree with Jan. That first quartz with the tiny bit of caramel color would be my choice of those listed. It ties in the color of the wood hood nicely!

• dan1888
    last year

Be aware of the light temperature of your leds. Your lighting can be different than what they have at the store for those quartz products. They should have samples like the granites. My monitor shows a slightly greyer tone for the back cabinets than I see for the island. I'd pick the Ventina to go with the cabinets. I like that grey tone more than caramel. There could be quartzite to work in this design. I'd compare those instead of the granite. A slab backsplash could work with an induction range.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

My guess here? The builder is providing the options. Pick within, or change it later, post closing. Just a guess, as all the granite options here? Seem pretty basic builder, and the quartz, rather limited.

• herbflavor
    last year

lusso or ventina.....also the third or middle piece of the row of five would work , if you really want to bring in some black...its a pretty good looking one and the scale of your room can handle the bit of movement with that. I would not do black faucet or hardware however. I think a polished or nickel selection or stainless for that matter would work better. My fear is the black against all the white just draws the eyes to those spots and the nice thing about your configuration is the height and scale and obviously the island ....thinking ahead .once you get to the stools note how bringing in the black along with wood if you find the right one is a nod to your hood ..... a nice finished effect....... I'd think about that. [ 8 stools???]

Contemporary Kitchen · More Info

O Road · More Info

Black and White Modern Contemporary · More Info

Good Luck,,,some good viable counters to pick from.

• RedRyder
    last year

I like the first choice but would change all the hardware - including the faucet - to brushed bronze.

You really need to carry a door or drawer front to a sample of the larger slab if you want one of the granites. Choosing from those tiny squares is stressful.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

Accounting for the fact that you're probably working with a builder, and no snobby comments about the basic, limited choices which we don't know because these are the only you're showing us, I would go with Lusso.

I feel the Lusso pulls in the brown hood, white walls, gray cabinets all in one. I feel the black will be too obvious and not blend well.

Unfortunately the last picture with all four options are not well labeled or situated such that we could give you better input.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    last year

It's not "snobby" to realize that very often in many many spec builds......your options may be limited, most ESPECIALLY in quartz, as the builder can do granite far more profitably. These are quite often the speckled variety, of which we see several on the island. In an equally common "sample size" four inch format.

• Miki Hopkins
    Original Author
    last year

Thank you everyone for your input. no offense taken -it is a basic house. Im just try to make the best i can out of it. trying to get in before Christmas ❤️

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    last year

IMO real stone trumps fake plastic everytime but you need to give us a bit more info as to wht only these choices . I think cabinet oulls are a last choice to make . I see lots of choices in the pic so please explain . Remeber to hurry is to regret you can live for Christmas with a plywood counter and a much better choice than to be in a hurry .

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    last year

It is snobby if you have to say it over and over. Plastic versus real is not an issue, Patricia, but it's your issue. Limited selections provided by a builder are not an issue, but Jan, but you make it an issue every damn time.

My boss is an old lady and now I see that you all clutch together with your judgment and airs of faux class.

• PRO
    Servigon Construction Group
    last year

With an island this large I thing a water fall edge would be a great choice, and a countertop that has some life such as the veining in the pic attached.

• RTHawk
    last year

Pick Lusso. Don't get turned off by people saying it is "plastic" (technically, they are partially correct because about 10% of quartz is resin). I have had both granite and quartz countertops and the one thing I can do with granite that I can't with quartz is set hot objects on quartz. While you are not supposed to put things straight from the oven on granite, I have done this multiple times with no damage to my granite. This I would not attempt with quartz as that will surely damage quartz. I have those collapsible trivets that get stowed away when not in use.

Cleaning-wise, quartz is so smooth (no pits or fissures) and is much easier to clean - just wipe with a wet/damp microfiber cloth. Toughness-wise, I've had my quartz counters for more than 3 years and I have only a tiny little chip by my sink when I banged it accidentally with a cast iron pan. And of course, appearance-wise, Lusso looks much better than any of your granite options.

• herbflavor
    last year

get to where the granite slabs are. that is how you judge. if they are giving you a good price I would want to look at the slabs. Granite counters on islands: nothing to not like.

Dream Home · More Info

Weddington, NC- Open concept floor plan- Kitchen, dining, hearth and family room · More Info

• RoyHobbs
    last year

I agree with the others that out of those counter choices the Lusso is best. There have also been people on this forum who have arranged a credit with the builder for their counters, then had the kitchen installed without counters, and then later got the counters they like themselves. You can live with plywood counters for a few months, it's not that big of a deal. But some builders do not allow this kind of credit. I am only mentioning it so that you are aware of that possibility.

I am not a fan of black faucets or black cabinet pulls, but that is my personal taste. I like faucets and pulls in a metal finish.

@Jen K (7b, 8a) - I agree with most of what you posted, with the exception that you said the attitudes have to do with old lady. I had actually always pictured in my head those two frequent commenters on this Houzz page as the girls in the movie "Mean Girls".

• RedRyder
    last year

@RoyHobbs Mean people come in every shape, size and age group....

• kandrewspa
    last year

To sum up, some people have a preference for either granite or quartz. If you have never had either one, you may not have a preference. You will be able to find people to advocate for either one of them. You'll have to decide for yourself.

Make sure you're looking at the samples in the same light you will have in your kitchen. If you're working with a builder you may not be able to choose a slab, but if you are, take advantage of it and choose it. Speckled material is more uniform than products with movement, but being able to see a big expanse of the material can affect your opinion. Good luck, and whatever you choose chances are you will be able to live with it.

Miki Hopkins thanked kandrewspa
  • herbflavor
    last year

if the counter runs shown are all of it you may want to consider durability. Once multiple people come in...there may be a "could you skooch over" effect on a regular basis as you do not have zones. if people drag bowls and utensils across to accommodate, the wear and tear on the surface is a big factor. You want your surface to withstand anything because of your configuration. That would influence me the most I think.

Miki Hopkins thanked herbflavor
  • Kay p
    last year

Lasso looks the best. I have had granite but I find quartz a much nicer look.

Miki Hopkins thanked Kay p
  • cpartist
    last year

My personal preference is always a natural stone, but it's not my house (or my money). I agree the Lusso is the best choice and will look stunning when that kitchen is finished.

Miki Hopkins thanked cpartist
  • tena miller
    last year

do you know what color the cabinets are? i really like the tone of them!

• Miki Hopkins
    Original Author
    last year

Alabaster

• cassandra_mc
    last year

What a beautiful kitchen! I’d go with the most neutral choice pattern-wise. I personally don’t care for the speckles. They seem dated to me, like early 2000s. Love the first option you posted.