venexiano

White oak plank direction: should I mix directions?

venexiano
last year
last modified: last year

I am about to install my engineered white oak. I'm debating which direction to choose. I attach below the image of the autocad drawing, and 2 renderings with the 2 directions in the open space (forget about the island color, it is actually teal). Subfloor runs at 45 degrees so I can pick any direction. I feel like having the woodfloor in the longer direction would make it look better. installer said:
A) there is no problem with the transition between wooden subfloor and concrete slab (see my Houzz discussion on the topic here https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6064766/best-flooring-for-house-with-both-wood-subfloor-and-concrete-subfloor )
B) but he would prefer to run parallel to the 3 doors that goes to the pool, so that if water (rain or pool) damage the planks it will be only a single raw to be replaced.
C) also he said there will be a lot of waste to run the planks perpendicular to the walls in the hallway ( that goes to the 3 bedrooms, see upper right on the drawing), and will look bad
Therefore I have three options:
1) Run planks along the longer direction in the open space and everywhere else.
2) in the longer direction in the open space and in the other direction in hallway and 3 bedrooms.
3) the longer direction in the open space and and everywhere else, and in the other direction only in the hallway
4) run planks in the shorter direction in the open space and everywhere else.
What do you guys think it's best?

Comments (34)

Sponsored