uzmaabid

landscaping or curb appeal ???

uzi abid
10 years ago
i need some suggestions what i should do to spice up exterior ??

Comments (29)

• uzi abid
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you so much for helping , yes a garage is on left side. ok we have to remove all shutters and get black trimming , then a black door and blue grey siding .what about roof color ??
  • Related Discussions

Meditation room design in private garden

Q

Comments (66)
    Thank you roj leather and Simon for your recommendations. I like the hanging chair and the almanda creeper on the wall. This will certainly liven up the patio.
    ...See More

Need help for the living room, Indian/Asian/Tribal artistic

Q

Comments (501)
    Hi Ni, I just thought of something....did you say you planned to do the stencil motifs on the window wall? If so, I am thinking they will be mostly hidden by the curtains. I wonder if it might be better to stencil the long wall that is on the right side of the room when looking toward the window. I could see this being a pretty backdrop to the prayer box (I think that’s what you called it?) and your wood cuttings. Then maybe the opposite wall (the one with the kitchen doorway) could hold a large piece of art?
    ...See More

Curb appeal

Q

Comments (3)
    Paint the shutters. I would not like to see those doors pInted grey. Something light, to draw your eye to the. Why do you think the next owners will not the house down? I think it is very nice looking.
    ...See More

Interior design for Pune

Q

Comments (12)
    I provide services in Pune. My design revolves primarily around using existing Climatological elements for creating desired moods as per the spaces. I prefer using functional and structural elements for creating a great visual appeal, rather than using dedicated cosmetic elements. If you looking for professional services, you will need to provide me: the coordinates of the house Position of North of the house with respect to site (plot drawing will do) Budget you are aiming at
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    Your roof looks good as is.
  • 2taniya
    10 years ago
    Yes too many colors going on - all the shutters should be the same color and the yellow half door is too bold with the green siding. I would think the door should match the siding color - whatever you may end up making that. And the sidelights at the door should match the door color. The front porch is very small - maybe you could put big flower pots or potted bushes on the ground on either side of the porch to make it look a bit bigger. And the bushes covering the windows don't help. They all need trimmed so all the windows are visible. Does the roof need replaced? The color seems fine though it is hard to tell what color it is from this picture. It looks like a great house that just needs some paint and trimming.
  • PRO
    Barbara Wahler Interior Design Inc.
    10 years ago
    I would agree that the blue is a nice compliment to the brick and with the ideas for the walkway and landscaping. I would remove the shutters on the lower level but I would leave them upstairs. Without them your upper level will just be a big blue block. I would paint them a a warm cream to pull out one of the lighter tones in the brick and add a horizontal wood trim ( typically called a belly band) painted the same cream to add detail and finish off the transition from siding to brick. I would also a pair of wall lanterns on either side of the door. If you really want to go all out, you could widen the steps add a a small roof structure with columns.
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    The easiest thing to do would be to lift up and move all of those concrete squares. Perhaps you can reuse them in the back yard as a patio or something. It looks a bit like a helicopter landing pad right now.

You need a proper sidewalk path put in, something that leads to the street in a gentle curve would be nice.

Remove the large shrubs and start fresh, these are too overgrown to work with at this point and they hide too much of the house.

The siding color is fine, but the shutters would look better if they were all the same color. Leave the trim white as it is, and paint the upstairs shutters black to match the lower ones would be the easiest way to go. Are those shutters beside the door or are they sidelights? Hard to tell from photo.

Remove storm door, it is VERY dated and replace with a full glass storm door, or leave off altogether. Paint front door a bold color.
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    In my opinion the upper shutters are the worse - they look like they ate the tiny window :-) By adding a wider black trim around them it will give them more width and balance . You could definitely use some wider steps at the front door and placing some tall containers filled with colorful plants would look good. Handymam has a good point - I couldn't see where the curb or public driveway was but you could add larger square stepping stones from the curved path to that area for public visitors .
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    Well, it does look like the upper shutters are a bit too tall for the windows to begin with.
  • uzi abid
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    actually it is corner house , public road is right front of house but entering is on left side garage. there is a story of two different color shutters :) , i just painted lower shutters 2 days ago but was not pleased with look :(
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I actually think they look fine. What is it you do not like about them?
  • uzi abid
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    No i was talking about whole look .... i thought after painting shutter black we can get a lots of difference but that was minor , would definitely paint other also.
  • Dar Eckert
    10 years ago
    A porch running the full length of the front of the house would be a wonderful addition to your home. Many different details to choose from. Here's a couple of examples.
    Old Hill House · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/2002-showcase-traditional-exterior-new-york-phvw-vp~413901
  • handymam
    10 years ago
    I think if you paint the upper shutters and change the yard (taking out overgrown bushes and landing pad, you will see a BIG difference.

Even a new entry way/stairs would make a difference, a wider one that would allow for the front door to be oppened without knocking someone off the top step would be nice. It would be wide enough to put a couple of pots of flowers too.

Uzi, search the houzz ideabooks under colonial style homes and you will get some inspiration for your home! :)
  • User
    10 years ago
    Please remove the concrete squares, they look like grave markers.
  • uzi abid
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thanks a lot , i really appreciate your help , one more question please , do you guys have any idea what it will cost if i follow the landscaping which SWEET CAROLINE GARDEN DESIGN suggested. any rough and avg idea in west chester PA ???
  • uzi abid
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    if i would hire a pro ???
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    Portico to add some fun to the house. Away with the tiles and make it an english/french cottage garden.
    Italian Style in Newport Coast, California · More Info

Pennbrook · More Info

Potager Garden · More Info

Less Lawn More Garden · More Info
  • PRO
    Carolyn Choi
    10 years ago
    No, uzi abid, but I would suggest that you first visit your local garden center ( independently owned ones, not Home depot or Lowe's ) and see if they can help you with the design - often they have landscapers who will install your landscape if you buy plants from them. You can also call 2 or more landscapers out to get a free estimate.
  • PRO
    Pebble Stone Coatings
    10 years ago
    Pebble Stone Coatings provides a great option to enhance the exterior of your home. By resurfacing your driveway, entrance, or any outdoor surface with our natural pebble stone product, you will not only gain curb appeal but a great piece of mind as a customer. With a wide variety of designs and colors, any outdoor surface can be transformed.
    Visit us at www.pebblestonecoatings.com for more ideas and information!
  • joyannello
    10 years ago
    I am late to this curb appeal party but here are my thoughts...Your home is a nice & very traditional style so I guess I would try to
    work with that. Now to me the most cost effective change anyone can ever make always involves painting. So I would consider painting the whole house a soft white (yes the bricks too) then paint all the shutters and front door a high gloss black. Lose the storm door completely and if you feel you need one go with a full glass front as someone already mentioned. Remove all overgrown bushes and simply add a bed of mulch about 5 to 6 feet out along the front of house&garage. Then plant some small bushes perhaps boxwood along this new bed. Hire out to have a new brick or new concrete walkway poured from your front door to driveway entrance. All the concrete squares can be removed by walkway contractor. You can add some seasonal annuals between the planted boxwood bushes for color...perhaps mums in the fall and tulips for the spring. Good Luck!
    uzi abid thanked joyannello
  • uzi abid
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    thank you very much joyannello ..... great tips ,
  • rinked
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Before painting brick, do some research on the maintenance and if you're willing to take the vow. I like the brick and would paint the siding a color that goes well with it, such as a light greige or gunmetal grey or even a warm yellow.
  • Sandra
    10 years ago
    White House, Black Shutters, Red Door.....Lighting and Large trees for a start..... Good Luck ,its going to be beautiful when it's all done!
  • uzi abid
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    just updating , new siding done , how this color is it looking with bricks ?? is door color ok ??
  • Dar Eckert
    9 years ago
    Looks very nice. However, I would remove the shutters because it looks odd to me to have shutters on some windows and not all of them.
  • rinked
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Could you remove the shutters and post a new pictures please? (I hope they're hinged, so removing them is easy)

But my guess is the shutters on the main floor add some oomph to the brick. Maybe paint the sidelights of the front door the same color as the siding/shutters, but keep the door frame white. I like the red, but the centre needs to blend in with the rest.
    The shutters on the second floor are nice and quirky, without them the space inbetween windows would be off..
  • gingybear
    9 years ago
    good job ditching overgrown shrubs.Now add some new junipers or evergreens of some type,for color and to ground the house .
  • uzi abid
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    without shutters house was looking blank thats why added them. we will put other shutter on too, yes we will replace sidelights and also have ordered Spiral Topiary trees for both sides.
  • handymam
    9 years ago
    Much better!