hurley_west

Lovely room, can't figure out furniture placement

Ginger Chew
3 years ago

This room has a huge, beautiful lead glass window, fireplace flanked by french doors and leads to a lovely dining room. I cannot figure out a furniture layout. The chairs, couches and rug are all not necessarily staying, they are there because we need somewhere to sit until we figure out what we need. On a daily basis we need seating/lounging for 3 adults and want to be able to easily flex to seating 6. Ideally, i'd like to sit by the window in the afternoons. Obviously the huge leather chair doesn't work there. The ottoman is there because we want to put our legs up while watching TV and we are used to a sectional which doesn't work in this space. We walk through the french doors all the time as a path of travel. I lay down on the ugly small sofa at night to watch TV. Please help! Thank you! Yes, my dogs photobombed the pics :-)

Comments (43)

• calidesign
    3 years ago

Your tv/console is in the right spot. I would expand the seating area by removing the leather chair and just using a glass console table in front of the window. That leaves you a larger area toward the window for two full sized sofas, in an "L" as yours are currently, while still maintaining room to walk behind them. I would look for a lower backed chair where you have your gray one.

Ginger Chew thanked calidesign
  • Related Discussions

Need Help for my living room lightning please suggest me

Q

Comments (66)
    OK... but the wire wont be lower as it is fixed now. The wire in the pics below is the wall facing each other. They were leveled on equal height but the beam on one wall makes it seem a little above. But i think you guys are absolutely right that up and down lights wont look good there. I think you are right about down lights lessismoore. Would it look good if i go with two different lights on opposite walls??? it would look odd right.
    ...See More

How should I bring some life and spunk in this room?

Q

Comments (32)
    First of all, I don't think that furniture is comfortable enough to sit and watch TV, so the TV should be remove from that room, the purple wall paper and the purple furniture is too much, you should consider another color for that wall and the furniture against the wall it doesn't look good. What is that room at the end is kind of dark and I cannot appreciate exactly what is the purpose of that room. I'm a firm believer in skylights, we have skylights in the laundry room, kitchen, living room and office, they make a big difference. (if you cannot have skylights (or tube lights) can lights are a great option. There are a lot of great ideas from everyone. I can't wait to see the after photos.
    ...See More

Want ideas to redesign my room

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi Suneet, I feel there are a couple of things you could do. -You can start with pulling the furniture closer to the carpet. -Buy a couple of cushions for the maroon sofa. Bottle green or olive green would go well. -If you don't have a centre/coffee table, I recommend you buy one. -Side tables with table lamps will make space appear quite cosy and warm. The above-mentioned things would help you define the seating area. If your budget allows, go ahead and paint the walls to a mildly darker tone. Hope this helps. Feel free to get in touch with us.
    ...See More

Layout ideas for awkward living/dining room?

Q

Comments (1)
    This is possible. Black pen shows the placement of dining table, red line shows the partition at the entrance to avoid the direct vision of dining area from the entrance, red cross shows the kitchen entry which will be shifted from the present entry.
    ...See More
  • Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ Marteen the mantle is very high and with the TV above it, it would be uncomfortably high. the middle if the Tv would be almost 6 feet off the ground

• Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@ Calidesign I too think lower backed chair like a barrel swivel would be nice. The room to walk part I was super concerned about. 2 full sized couches would solve my seating issue, it looks like there is enough room?

• calidesign
    3 years ago

It looks like you have room from the photos, but you can move your current furniture around to try it out and measure your walkways. Move your linen loveseat back toward the window and stick the chair right next to it to see what you think.

• PRO
    Mae Day Organizing and Interior Design
    3 years ago

Hello Ginger,

Can you give Calidesign measurements of the room that include the openings and windows? That often helps a lot. Have a great day.

MAE

• Suzanne Peacock
    3 years ago

You have a gorgeous fireplace and leaded windows in a room with four doorways, a large window and a high traffic flow. The TV placement option is limited and should stay where you have it, I believe.
    A suggestion to continue with the symmetry of your room’s architecture is to place two sofas facing each other, flanking the fireplace on your great carpet. Rotate the ottoman to be parallel with the sofas. Place a small tray with a plant in the ottoman.

Yes, the smaller couch will have its back to the TV but I think the balance this arrangement brings to the room will be pleasing.

Move your two arm chairs (ideally replacing with ones that swivel to allow for tv watching) in to the bay window area. Move the existing small table (appears to be rattan or rope with plants on it ) centred between the two chairs.

Play with the placement and evaluate what works for you and your family. Have fun and please post your “after” pictures.
    Cheers.

Ginger Chew thanked Suzanne Peacock
  • Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Removing the high-back gray chair will make the room more balanced. I would keep the sofas where they are...I don’t see any other arrangement working.

Ginger Chew thanked Amanda Smith
  • Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I totally agree with you Suzanne, that layout is the most pleasing 100% and makes the most sense. It isn't as great with how we actually use the room. First world problems!

• partim
    3 years ago

Functionally, what is wrong with the arrangement of chairs/sofas that you have now? It seems to me that it works for your requirements, perhaps just replacing the large chair by the window with a smaller one, and the high back wing chair with something more compact. Sofa + love seat could be replaced with a sectional with the same number of seats.

Where are you sitting when you use the ottoman? I assumed you'd be on the love seat.

Do you use all 4 doors to the room?

A quick sketch with measurements would be very useful to visualize traffic paths.

• PRO
    lisedv
    3 years ago

Ginger Chew thanked lisedv
  • PRO
    lisedv
    3 years ago

MANTEL DECOR NOTE WAS MISSING...

Ginger Chew thanked lisedv
  • Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

yes the mantle is being addressed :-) I have a mirror that I'm painting and have acrylic risers coming for my plants. I love those rattan chairs. The ottoman is used while on grey couch. updating new photo

• Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• msjoan
    3 years ago

What is the room behind the fireplace? Is it possible to close and partially block one of the French doors? Maybe put a chair just slightly in front of one?

Ginger Chew thanked msjoan
  • Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

ok removed ottoman and grey chair, better? Need a coffee table type thing.

Here is the couch I'd like to buy to replace the apt size linen couch. This will be in olive green velvet (shown in emerald) . The rug is being swapped out, it's a place holder/noise reducer.

• Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

for a coffee table I'm thinking something like this, to not add any more weight to the room

• lisalane
    3 years ago

Maybe try the blue sofa facing the fireplace? Then rather than another sofa, perhaps buy two identical comfy chairs to face the TV (where the blue couch is now) and a third swivel chair opposite that can be swiveled towards TV. Love your room, art and the coffee table you are considering.

Ginger Chew thanked lisalane
  • Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

yes to all of that Lisa Lane. I agree! Again, real life though my husband does not want to sit in a chair, he wants a couch so 2 couches it is. We bought a sectional and returned it because it completely closed off the room and looked very odd. Also, at least here in Los Angeles, it's very hard to go shopping because of covid.

• Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

how the house was styled for sale by previous owners

• Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

• felizlady
    3 years ago

DON’T move the tv to above the fireplace... place it over a lower console cabinet so it is at eye level to a seated or reclining adult. Components can go inside the cabinet. Use a rug larger than the one shown. I like to have walking space around the perimeter. Live with what you have for a couple of months before buying anything new.

• partim
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

The previous owner's layout showcases the window but doesn't work with a TV. If you want to showcase the window more, at some point you could replace the love seat with 2 chairs.

Ginger Chew thanked partim
  • Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Much better with the gray chair gone....

Ginger Chew thanked Amanda Smith
  • Amanda Smith
    3 years ago

Two matching sofas or sofa/loveseat combo would be best. Small round table here:

• decoenthusiaste
    3 years ago

That emerald couch is pretty but doesn't look comfy for lounging in front of TV. I would get a second Chesterfield and then some large lumbar pillows to enhance lying on them to relax and watch TV. Really the arms on one sofa are too tall and on the other are too low. Here's a nice variation with TV on a drop down mechanism above the FP. A pair of chairs at the window end of the grouping, especially if they can swivel to catch the view, and you are done.

Holland Project · More Info

Ginger Chew thanked decoenthusiaste
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    3 years ago

IMO if the sectional were apt sized and not too tall you could probably get it to work in your space. One like this below that doesn't have two arms could probably work.

IMO the TV should be mounted lower in the room to not compete with your fireplace wall and the cabinet wood should be more subdued in tone and texture.

• Jennifer Hogan
    3 years ago

I have a similar situation in my living room. Although the room is large it requires the furniture to be floating in the middle of the room - I have two 5' openings on either side of a 10' fireplace. Across from the fireplace is a 10' double sliding glass door and one of the walls is open to my dining room (9' opening).

I got lots of advice on how to make the perfect conversation pit, how to make the fireplace the focus of the room and many other suggestions.

My solution, since no one was going to sit and watch the fireplace and I didn't want the TV over the fireplace was to get a sectional with built in recliners. Where the black sofa is in your space I a have three seats facing the tv and then the corner piece. Where your lighter sofa is I have an additional 2 seats. Both ends and one of the interior seats are reclining. I can have 6 people sitting on the sofa if no one minds the corner seat (usually occupied by my dog.

The other option I considered was a 3 or 4 seat reclining sofa where your black sofa is and two matching barrel chairs where the light sofa is with ottomans. Ottomans can be used for additional seating in a pinch.

Ginger Chew thanked Jennifer Hogan
  • calidesign
    3 years ago

I'm not sure the green sofa will work. The arms are very low, and may look odd next to your Chesterfield. I'd look for another Chesterfield, or another style with higher rounded arms. That would also be better for watching tv from the side. Try Ethan Allen.

Ginger Chew thanked calidesign
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

I always re-use if possible, so my comment is that the slipcovered light piece is ok [from what I can see]. The beige/linen color is nice. Hickory-type wood is rustic? and the room has a bit casual. Rust-brown tile -- is it also flooring nearby? I see other options than green.

Ginger Chew thanked everdebz
  • everdebz
    3 years ago

Could repeat blues and ceramic or rustic blue-greens in accessories:

Moroccan Ceramic Garden Stool, Rustic Teal · More Info

Saffron Fabs Hand Hammered 2-Piece Metal Stool, Green Verdigris · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Or metals

• everdebz
    3 years ago

I see wallpaper with soft rounds --

Unique Loom Beige Estrella Sierra 9' 0 x 12' 0 Area Rug · More Info

Rug Unique Loom Estrella Orange Rectangular 9' 0 x 12' 0 · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

and your art too!

Rug Unique Loom Estrella Orange Rectangular 9' 0 X 12' 0 · More Info

Rug Unique Loom Estrella Orange Rectangular 9' 0 x 12' 0 · More Info

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Green in this / sold in 4 colors.

I'll delete whatever you don't 'like'

Safavieh Cedar Brook Collection CDR322 Rug, Blue/Multi, 8'x10' · More Info

Safavieh Cedar Brook Collection CDR322 Rug, Orange/Multi, 4'x6' · More Info

• Lisa T
    3 years ago

If you are wanting to sit by that leaded glass window, it seems to me that area is crying out for a chaise. The window is gorgeous, it should be celebrated with something equally fabulous.
    I love your Chesterfield sofa. If you're wanting a second sofa and not two recliners (good looking recliners, not those cheap, overstuffed, mass produced recliners), then I think a second Chesterfield is in order.
    I have the same question, it looks like you have a room behind this room with sofas and chairs. Does this room need to be the tv room or could it just be a gathering room, thus expanding furniture placement options.
    Beautiful home. You've got a good eye.

Ginger Chew thanked Lisa T
  • Ginger Chew
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Thank you Lisa T. We have 2 fireplaces, so behind this fireplace is another fireplace. The room through the french doors is my husband's office. It has vaulted wood ceilings and is a pretty awesome work from home space. Lisa T I totally get it. This was originally going to be a "gathering room" but we decided to make it our main hang out room as it is the biggest, best natural lighting in the house. We've lived with this for 4 months and I still came up with no great solutions which is why I've recruited you lovely creative people to prod me along.

• Peter Barnard
    3 years ago

The styling of the house when it was for sale was spot on. Right now, you’re suffering from too much large furniture. I would get a built in like the one they used and put the TV in it. Adding two swivel chairs will let you all watch TV and reset the room when the TV is off. The second couch is a mistake and should be done away with entirely.

Ginger Chew thanked Peter Barnard
  • Lisa T
    3 years ago

Ginger Chew, well now I can understand why your tv is not in the other room. It does sound like a wonderful office.

You've got a great start on a wonderful room. I can well understand why this room was picked as your tv room.

Ginger Chew thanked Lisa T
  • freedomplace1
    3 years ago

You could do two matching sofas, parallel.

And put tv over fireplace on one of these mounts.

https://www.mantelmount.com/products/mm540-enhanced-mount?msclkid=c1f11d96f3b81b285a187da2bfba8d67&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=EMPIST-%20Shopping%20campaign%20(03%2F17%2F2020)&utm_term=4585375808835096&utm_content=340%2F540

Mount lowers tv down over fireplace, to eye level, for comfortable viewing. Various configurations available, and also carried by Amazon.

You could hang art over tv, when not in use.

Then you could use one or two swivel chairs, facing fireplace + tv - chair(s) can also swivel to look out the windows.

And/ior (depending on space and preference) a chaise in front of windows.

• everdebz
    3 years ago

Green can be very muted, and the glaze and such can make it so neutral, yes, no?