kittysox

We bit the bullet & painted the slate.

Jessie Dee
3 years ago

After years of contemplating stripping, staining & sealing our slate, we bit the bullet and chalk painted today.

The entire time I was second guessing whether I was destroying our floors. We love the stone, just not the colour pallet.

Two liters of Rust-Oleum chalk paint and then Diamond coat ‘Natural’ slate sealer.

Just waiting 24hrs for the sealer to dry, it will be a matte finish.

Let’s see how it looks when it dries? 🤞🏻

Edit: We chose to chalk paint then seal, as half our slate was already a natural (matte) finish & the matte sealer is lovely underfoot.

Second edit: since this is a total experiment, I’ll share issues as they come up: eg on the gloss sealed sections the sealer was taking double the time to dry. The residual puddles were oily, not sticky. So hubby went through again with the wool deck pad spreading the remaining sealer over the floors. A cheats second coat, but also hoping this isn’t indicative of any issues with the sealer adhering to the tiles (that we really should stripped). We only had a really small window when we had all the kids off-site, hence why we didn’t get the tiles stripped, we didn’t want the fumes etc. the tiles hadn’t been sealed in over 10 years, so it will be interesting to see if the chalk & sealer take well. As a family of 6 with 2 dogs; we will certainly put it to the test.

Will keep you all posted!

Comments (32)

Sponsored