harshada_t

Main Entry Blocked? - silly but crucial

Harsha N
3 years ago

Planning to keep a sectional sofa in the entrance corner. It wasn’t planned but someone left the city and I quickly bought the sofa off of them since our renovations are underway. Now the issue is that the L part of the sofa is jutting out 3-4inches near the door hinges, where the door swings open. Would that be an issue in opening the door? Have I made a huge mistake? 😭

Comments (15)

• PRO
    Rupal shah
    3 years ago

Hello Harsha,

It is obvious that its going to hinder your door opening. What I can suggest seeing your plan is that you can shift your opening a bit on the right side. But as I do not know the present situation,I can only suggest.

• PRO
    Miloni Mehta
    3 years ago

Hi Harsha.
    One common error we make when placing furniture is thinking we need to push it all up against a wall, you can turn it around any way you prefer. With the L corner of the sectional any of the 4 corners. This also gives you thoroughfares and wall space.

If you need a designer for consulting on the project, in terms of designs, feasibility, usability, space planning and more, please do connect with me for the same!

I hope the mirror thing got figured out :)
    Best
    Miloni

• PRO
    Cornerstone Design Studio India
    3 years ago

Harsha, you may have to go for remodeling the sofa to save some grace now :) Get it shortened by few inches. Share a pic that might help.

Thanks,
    Nitin
    Cornerstone Designs, Bangalore

• Ni Ti
    3 years ago

Hi Harsha, I’m not a pro but I faced similar problem with a bed in a small bedroom once. For small differences in length, usually just flipping furniture works wonders! Here’s my suggested layout for you.

• Harsha N
    Original Author
    3 years ago

This is the couch.. it can ONLY go in the left corner since our TV points are on the right wall from the entrance! I wasn’t aware that you can shorten couches. Is it a costly affair? I was planning on reupholstering it too.

• pooja kaushal
    3 years ago

hi Harsha , see if this arrangement works for you

• Harsha N
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Pooja!!! I think you may have solved my problem. I’ll have to go to the site and just recheck the measurements to ensure that the bigger part of the couch doesn’t block the walkway! Thanks a bunch. Really appreciate the simple but genius solution to this. Will post an update asap 😊

• Harsha N
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Hi Miloni.. im going on site to cheggit out today. This side table idea sounds pretty cool. It’ll hide the click on mechanism, yea? Let me see what that tight as hell space is capable of. Will measure things in a bit

• Jigyasa Sharma
    3 years ago

Harsha waiting for your update . plz let us know if it worked

• Harsha N
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It sadly doesn’t fit and the walkaway gets blocked since the larger part of the L is 114”

• Harsha N
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Going to try Miloni’s separation idea with a lounger/get it shortened depending on costs and skilled labour. It’s a really really well made carcass, so the thought of messing with it is scary. Will only know for sure how it fits, once our stuff is shifted from storage 😬

• pooja kaushal
    3 years ago

@Harsha check this out too

• pooja kaushal
    3 years ago

or share pics of your house to give better idea of space

• PRO
    WDF space design, Interior Design Business
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

can u please send actual present site images

.. if possible sizzle the wall behind sofa upto sofa height as , so that u can push little behind rather than disturbing door frames