webuser_402493420

Galvanised conduit - help with lighting

Jennifer
3 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance for your advice and suggestions!

I live in a flat in a converted shoe-factory and am looking to update it for the first time since I moved in 16 years ago.

I am stuck on what do to with the lighting - which is industrial and quite dated and go for something softer and more modern.

My problem is that everything is surface mounted, with cabling and boxes in galvanised conduits. The ceilings and structural columns are concrete, but even along the stud walls the previous owner continued the theme so every switch and socket is surface mounted with pattress boxes and cabling trunked in galvanised conduit.

I am really reluctant to face the mess and expense of chasing the cabling and backboxes into the wall - and where I have concrete there is no option but to keep things surface mounted.

So my question is what are my options if I want to stay surface mounted, but not have galvanised conduit? There are so many beautiful sconces, chandeliers and pendant lights nowadays - but it's hard to imagine them looking very nice mounted on a conduit pipe.

Aside from painting the conduits black - does anyone have any ideas or suggestions? I would love to get a Serge Mouille 3 arm wall sconce for example - but how can I do this?

I've attached an example of the current lighting/socket/switch setup. Any approaches or suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you!

Comments (5)