aann01

1st Time Custom Builders

A L0108
3 years ago

We are first time custom home builders and trying to decide how we proceed. We have talked with 8-10 builders and narrowed it down to 1-2 that we really like (based on our meeting, feedback from previous clients, their work etc.). Both builders have recommended we sit down with them and design the home with a draftsman. We have a front runner in who we think we want to build our home (without having design plans created) but we aren’t sure if it is a smart decision to just move forward with them and do a design with them/their preferred draftsman. Or if we should work separately from a builder with a draftsman or architect to design the floor plan and THEN go to the builder(s) to bid out? Help - and we welcome comments as well as the poll!

Work with Architect / Draftsman separately and then go to builder
Work with a builder to design plans with draftsman

Comments (17)

• doc5md
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

There should be a separate vote.... work with architect and builder at the same time. Not a design build.. but get your team together. add designer as you go, kitchen designer, landscape designer, etc.

• anj_p
    3 years ago

Assuming you have your lot?

Here's what I can tell you - the cost to design with the builder may be built into the total cost, so if you go outside with an architect you'll probably pay more for it (you won't get a "credit" with your builder). Obviously, verify with the builder, but that's our builder's model. We chose to use the builder's designer and paid their initial design fee (MUCH less than an architect would cost), and so far we've been pleased. I think if we were unhappy with the builder's design, we would have started over with an architect, and lost nothing in the process except time. But for us, we weren't sure if we could afford to custom build in the first place and didn't want to spend a bunch of money just to find out it wasn't feasible. If the builders you're talking to have the home design priced separately and it's comparable to an architect's fee, then definitely consult an architect.

If you decide to use an outside architect, you should still retain the builder so you can get input on anything in the design that will unreasonably increase costs, so you can rein things in as needed.

I also think this totally depends on the complexity of your design, the challenges of your lot, and your ultimate vision.

• Related Discussions

"need to design space under the staircase"

Q

Comments (52)
    A houzz contributor, not too long ago, had made a wine rack out of 4'x4' wooden pallets, that are used in the US to move a load of goods with a fork-lift truck. Perhaps they have them in your country. He cut them in half so they were only two feet deep and stacked them up to high counter height. The wood would be a nice contrast with your concrete, might add a little warmth to the space. cascio.offsite@gmail.com
    ...See More

i need help for my formal living and unformal living and dinning

Q

Comments (300)
    I think a comfortable distance between the island and the counter is around 42". It seems that you have only 30" between your cook top and the counter. I might be a little too tight. The wall between the entrance and the kitchen could be 4' long instead of 6', you would then be able to move the island a foot which would give you more room between the cook top and the island. Could you switch the location of the toilet and vanity in your dad's bathroom so your enter facing a vanity instead of a toilet which is a lot nicer.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room

Q

Comments (138)
    Leather sofas can really dominate the room and can give an overall cold feeling. I would add some earthy elements, like a wood coffee table with glass or metal. Go to Restoration Hardware's website and look at their sofa room scenes. And I'm sorry I think the art is too harsh for the room. That's all your eye goes to in the room. too overpowering. I would look for something softer or maybe a cool mirror and I would add color to the room with pillows and some colorful lamps. I also think woven blinds would look great. They add warmth and give a finished look. The color of your window treatments should contrast your wall color a bit, not match it or else it starts to look generic and blah.. You have warm walls, warm floors and the woven blinds, like Hunter Douglas brand would pull it all together for you.
    ...See More

Best place to spend Lighting S's.

Q

Comments (4)
    I was looking at some mind-boggling $ lighting when we built. The designer said to buy what I loved and just put builder grade stuff everywhere else. That is food for thought. But what I found once I had a glass of wine or two and started looking online was that there is really wonderful lighting available that doesn't cost a body part. Also found a lighting store in a nearby city that has a huge sale every August. Got some great stuff there.
    ...See More
  • A L0108
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@anj_p - yes, sorry! Should have clarified - we DO have our lot already (separate of the builder). I appreciate your insight - your thought process is similar to ours. We really like a specific builder and think they would do a wonderful job. But wanted to make sure we’re not making a huge mistake by “trusting” them to also help us design the home. Thank you!

• A L0108
    Original Author
    3 years ago

@doc5md - great recommendation! I completely agree and would plan to work with those people as we moved through the process. But curious on thoughts specifically regarding coming up with the design. Should we work with the builder who also has a recommended vendor they use to develop/design the plans or should we use a completely separate architect/draftsman to come up with our floor plans and THEN go to a builder...

• doc5md
    3 years ago

Sounds like you know which builder you want.. That's half of the battle. Now find that amazing creative architect. Arrange a meeting of all three of you. Let the designing begin!

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    3 years ago

Architects design buildings. They are educated, experienced, tested, and licensed to do what they do. I feel like that is stating the obvious, but it seems like some people that post here on Houzz do not know that.

My advice to the OP is to find a local architect that you feel you can work with and that they are capable of designing a home you want with you. Meet with them and let them know what you need and want for your home, and what statement you want the home to make. Answer their questions and ask them questions, get to know them as they get to know you. Give them a copy of your site's survey and discuss with them your budget. Walk the site with them and discuss possibilities. If you know which builder will be building your home, invite them to be part of the design process by inviting them to the design meetings and communicate with the architect during the entire process.

Your home's design is more that floor plans; it is space, function, form, engineering, and art.

• strategery
    3 years ago

1. Pick your lot, 2. hire your own architect, 3. find a builder.

Sounds like you have done the last one first.

• PRO
    Virgil Carter Fine Art
    3 years ago

The best advice is to find an architect and find a builder, thereafter working together with you, as a team, to explore, create concepts and develop a design for your land, your usage, your aesthetics and your budget.

You will never get the same quality of house with a "designer" or drafter. This is even more important if this is your "forever house".

Good luck!

• lexma90
    3 years ago

We have now gone through the custom-build process twice, each time we found architects that we liked, then found the builder. In one case, the architect recommended three builders he had worked with before, and who he felt knew how to build his kind of houses (modern, lots of steel beams). In the other case, the architect and the builder had not worked together before, and I think it led to some dis-connects at times.

On the plus side, if you like a particular builder, that's probably at least in part because you like the style, design and layout of the houses they build, not only the builder's professionalism, dependability, ability to stick to a budget and building skills (or rather, those of the subs they hire). The style, design and layout would be more due to their draftsman (draftsperson). So if you like those aspects of the houses that this builder has constructed, then you may not want/need to find a separate architect, and it may be a great decision for you to use the designs of that draftsperson.

On the negative side, a builder (just like many people and companies) gets used to doing things a certain way, and may rely on certain efficiencies because they do things a certain way. So that despite the builder saying they are a custom builder, if you work with that builder and draftsperson, and you want something they're not used to doing, it will be more difficult for them, you'll get some pushback (gentle or otherwise), and it will affect your costs. I'm not saying they would be making those decisions in a bad way, it's just the way things work. For example, if the builder usually purchases their doors from Joe's Door Company, and you have your heart set on a style that Joe doesn't sell, then either the builder will have to find a different door company or persuade you that you would prefer one of Joe's doors. That is more likely to happen, I would think, if the draftsperson works for the builder.

I will let other people explain the difference between a draftsperson and an architect.

• just_janni
    3 years ago

there are a LOT of houses that get designed and built the way that you describe. Is that the "best' way - probably not.

In my experience, if you are picky, or have specific needs or tastes, or are looking for that bit of "specialness" that when you drive around you notice that "one of these things is not like the other" in a GOOD WAY - then you should hire an architect.

An Architect will be trained in the details that, IMO, usually make the difference to make a home truly special and having that intangible thing that goes along with good design. Is it the detail in the eaves and roof? the balance in the massing? the finishes and attention to detail on specs? is it learning about what you really WANT and delivering something that works FOR YOU? - or is it all of the above.

I often drive around town and look at the houses, and while there are really expensive homes, you can tell when it's been "a designer" vs when you see a house - and maybe one that isn't even as expensive, but it has a calming presence and EVERYTHING just works.

It's also possible that using a designer who will likely tweak a plan that s/he has already worked with and make some changes - even major ones - will be just fine and you will completely adore it.

None of us needed an iPhone until we had one.... Apple is masterful at design and creating a sense of quality - I believe an Architect's role is to do the same.

It's an interesting conversation to have. I liken it to what you chose to drive - there are a lot of types of cars out there and not everyone wants a Bugatti, or a Honda, or a Ferrari or a Toyota. There are people that can afford anything and choose to buy a 3 year old Toyota nd drive it for 15 years. Nothing wrong with that- it's just that cars are not a priority for them. They are still safe and get from A-B (and saved ton of money doing it!) but there are others who enjoy different things and send their money accordingly. Neither is right or wrong. ;-)

• PRO
    Beth Patrick @ Closet Factory (Cleveland)
    3 years ago

Research your front runners. Make sure they are in Good-Standing in the communities they serve and ASK local friends! Word of mouth reputation is the best way to select anyone you want to work with!

• David Cary
    3 years ago

3 custom builds here.

A designer can be fine or he/she can be horrible. Suppose the same is true of architects.

Have you seen the said designer's work? Like not just the elevations but walked around inside? Do you consider yourself knowledgeable on well designed houses? Have you toured dozens of architect designed houses about the size/style that you want?

Is your lot simple and small?

What is your budget?

Do you feel that most houses are poorly designed?

Do you like sunlight cascading through your house without glare?

Do you care about energy efficiency?

Are you custom building because you have the money and can - or is it because you have specific desires that can't be met in the resale market? Or is it just that you have a lot?

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    3 years ago

ARG is spot on. As with any profession, 50% of architects graduated in the bottom half of their class. Residential design is not rocket science, but you need someone with a design competency putting the lines on paper or directing electrons where to go on a display. Find someone who is the right "fit" for your project and your budget.

• PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    3 years ago

I couldn't agree with you more Mark Bischak, Architect, they licensed but not all experienced and like in any profession, not all created equal... met quite a few incompetent architects in my time, and threw a few off the job that customers hired and they couldn't thank me enough, because they just had no clue in the field.

• roccouple
    3 years ago

Have you talked to the builders about getting an outside architect? They may have just suggested a common practice not an exclusive one.

i think you were fine to start with a builder. I think having a good builder is very important, probably the most important thing imo

But the more time passes since our build the more I appreciate our architect. there are a lot of little things that make a difference in how livable a place is.

I often see on this forums architects being dismissed because they are too expensive. But I think that good design is the absolute lowest cost way to increase the quality of a build. I’d leave off any number of higher end finishes, appliances, etc in favor of good design. you feel the difference right away with good design. for example with our house the exterior and interior are all one thing. Our house feels natural to the lot and we have almost an indoor outdoor thing going on. We have cultured marble vanity tops. And whirlpool appliances. But every person who sees our house has been blown away and we get offers to buy. And it just feels good to live in it.

our architect-builder interface has its issues there were some stressful times Although was ok in the end i think finding an architect who has worked with your builder would be helpful. Really if your builder has been in business for any length of time they should know some I might worry if not

• WestCoast Hopeful
    3 years ago

Team approach! We found our builder first, before we even found our lot. We then found the lot, went with a designer and not an architect although we met with two architects too, the team met and helped design and plan our home. Builder and designer each brought different things to the table. Builder saved us money on design ideas that would have blown the budget. Designer streamlined the design to be more open and flexible than builder could picture. Team worked for us.