klsymons

Living room fireplace advice needed

Katie Potter
4 years ago
last modified: 4 years ago

I would love some advice regarding our living room fireplace. Our house is late 1940s and I believe the fireplace is original. This room used to be the dining room, but we are turning it into a formal living room (we have a modern open plan kitchen/ dining/ family room at the back of the house). My husband has removed the mantelpiece, overmantel mirror and cupboards that had been built in on either side of the fireplace. He is planning to remove the plaster from this wall, which faces west, insulate the wall and then put up new plasterboard. He wants to remove the fireplace while he is doing this. I want to keep it.

The fireplace isn’t able to be used as the fire bricks were removed when the last owners installed a gas heater in the space. My husband doesn’t like the bricks and doesn’t think it’s worth keeping it seeing it can’t be used.

The main reason why I want to keep it is that it is a focal point of the room and I think the two small windows in the wall either side of it will look odd without having the fireplace, mantel and overmantel mirror in between them. Hubby does not want to remove the two windows - too much work.

So, does anyone have any advice regarding what we can do to fix the fireplace so it looks nicer, or should we just pull it out? Does anyone agree that the two small windows will look strange on the wall without something in between? If we do remove the fireplace what could we add to create another focal point in the room?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give and please excuse the bed and toys in the photos.

Comments (28)

• JE C
    4 years ago

I agree that the fireplace should stay. The room definitely needs a focal point. It would be a shame to rip it out.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

STOP Him from going any further before he removes everything that is part of the character and history of the house. What a shame he's already removed so much as it would have been perfect as a living room. It would appear that there must be a damp problem?, has this been looked at by a Professional as I don't think what is being done will fix the problem assuming that the walls are brick?

• Related Discussions

Need help with my living room

Q

Comments (138)
    Leather sofas can really dominate the room and can give an overall cold feeling. I would add some earthy elements, like a wood coffee table with glass or metal. Go to Restoration Hardware's website and look at their sofa room scenes. And I'm sorry I think the art is too harsh for the room. That's all your eye goes to in the room. too overpowering. I would look for something softer or maybe a cool mirror and I would add color to the room with pillows and some colorful lamps. I also think woven blinds would look great. They add warmth and give a finished look. The color of your window treatments should contrast your wall color a bit, not match it or else it starts to look generic and blah.. You have warm walls, warm floors and the woven blinds, like Hunter Douglas brand would pull it all together for you.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room's renovation

Q

Comments (7)
    first of all, Thank you guys for those valuable inputs. yes, as far as cleaning goes, its just been finished installing and I have asked them to clean them up. And also, I observed that the frosting on the glass didn't look that good, so I am going for the filming on certain portions of the doors n windows. - Is there a particular quality of films that I may choose for this ? - Yes, lighting is definitely the criteria I had in mind which can bring up the finish to this. And i am worried about this , as I did not go for False Roofing, bcos the ceiling is already at a low height. I should really refine my ideas on the lighting part. - the stairs are floored with white Marble stone..My mom loves it and the matting on it might hinder its beauty, but yes I will surely consider that as well. Thank you again.
    ...See More

advice for living room

Q

Comments (1)
    hi Monika ji. I am interior designer. my contact 8866339562. Send living room plan. I send ideas. Sumit Makwana SV interior designer.
    ...See More

Need advice on living room

Q

Comments (4)
    Apologies for the typos. I want to design my living and dining area, and there is a suggestion to place a wooden partition starting the entry gate till half of the room to separate the living area space. I am thinking the partition will make the room look smaller. So need ideas how to design the living area. Thanks
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Dr Retro House Calls
    4 years ago

Oh dear, hubby has no idea! I agree with siriuskey. I see this a lot with my clients in that some couples approach "renovations" from opposite perspectives. In your case hubby is approaching from a functionalist perspective and ignoring the aesthetic and historical perspective. Over the decades hundreds of houses have lost their character due to ill-considered demolition. You should celebrate what gives your house character not obliterate it. This type of tapestry brickwork and craftsmanship is almost extinct today.

Dr Retro

Dr Retro House Calls

• Kate
    4 years ago

Personally the bricks aren’t my style either and if the fireplace doesn’t work then it won’t work properly as a focal point in winter either. You need a plan for the room. What furniture you need, will you have a tv. If you are removing fireplace could consider a third window or making the other two larger. Curtain style will be important to pull off any look with or without fireplace. An interior decorator is needed to help you navigate this with your husband. Interview a couple together to get right fit for you.
    Also consider walking around your area and looking for a similar house and see what they have done. Knock on doors and meet the neighbours. Good luck.

• John Turrell
    4 years ago

I don’t know where the idea the fireplace is unique it is just standard stretcher bond and is not worth saving.

• PRO
    Feature Fire
    4 years ago

Definitely keep the fireplace.

Two options for you to consider:

1) Render over the bricks to appease your husband, but this would mean the fireplace is purely ornamental (most renders would crack when exposed to fire repeatedly). An ornamental fireplaces still adds value to a room though.

2) Visit your closest pizza oven supplier - they will usually have fire bricks and all sorts of options to make the fireplace functional again. I would recommend a combination of thin firebricks and a 'refractory castable' (this is basically thermally stable concrete). This will give you a good performing fireplace with a concrete finish - could look very modern

• dreamer
    4 years ago

What a shame. Would your husband consider reinstating the cabinets and trims, after repairing HIS west wall. Either traditional or with a contemporary twist. Or I suppose you could put, between the windows, a low line tv unit, and a 80 inch television?

• Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

Oh no madness.
    Put it back, I’m struggling to replace original features, that someone took out from our house.
    It could be such a wonderful feature.
    Bet hubby is thinking wide screen tV. To replace it...

• Katie Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks for all of your advice.
    Siriuskey - the exterior wall is brick and interior wall is a textured plaster. The wall above where you can see the remnants of the built in cabinets were covered in wallpaper when we bought the house. The previous owners who built the house had removed the picture rail also. We do still have the mantel and mirror, so if I can convince him to keep the fireplace, we can reinstate them along with the picture rail. Why do you think there is a damp problem?
    Kate - thank you for your suggestion to call on our neighbours, there are still a lot of similar age houses in our neighbourhood.
    Feature Fire - do you think we could install an electric fire unit into the fireplace? We don’t have gas connected. That would make the fireplace functional and provide heat in this room as we have no heating unit in there at the moment.
    Dreamer - we don’t plan to install a tv in this room, as we have one in our family room and use an iPad or laptop if we want another option. If I can convince him to keep the fireplace, then I would like to build some shelving either side again.

• bigreader
    4 years ago

There are videos on YouTube on retro fitting electric fires into existing fire places. Dimplex also have a good catalogue of their range that would provide a starting point. Done well, with the mantel and mirror reinstated, it would add value and be a lovely feature for you to enjoy.

• siriuskey
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Hi Katie, some old houses do have a damp problem especially like those in Sydney that have sandstone foundations as they are porous and when the damp course breaks down you get Rising Damp, unfortunately we experienced this. So when you said that he was going to strip the plaster off the brick wall and insulate and then replace with plasterboard it made me think damp. But he should only be looking to strip back the old wall paper, sand and repair any imperfections, then paint The original cabinets would have helped with any insulation but having said that it would be best to get advice and tackle this from the exterior, pergola or other to protect the Westerly? wall.

The features are so worth keeping, just with paint, sanding floors, depending on climate it will update and make the features special once again, a tip a painter introduced us too when painting rooms with high ceilings was to paint the walls below the picture rail with colour and then use white above including the ceiling, and timber trims. Do you have a favourite style. An electric fire insert would look lovely and easy to use without any mess from a wood fire.

• Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

Lovely room above.

• Daphnemaria Sch
    4 years ago

Where might I look for the coffee table, I like this one.?

• PRO
    Kitchen and Home Sketch Designs
    4 years ago

Hi There,

As you want to make this into a formal living room with no TV which is a lovely room to have, I think you would be sorry to loose the feature of the fire. If you install a unit that has look alike flames it will enhance its appeal and focus in the room (Justifying its retention!) The pictures posted above show beautifully executed shelving and with picture rails, maybe copying arched window details for the little windows it will all tie together very neatly. My usual concern would be for furniture placement: to ensure that there are enough walls and places for the couches, chairs, toy boxes and tables, with options for rearranging too, required to make it a useful and happy room to enjoy. A room that has copious books is always inviting too so do not stint on the shelving!

Sorry Husband but I think you may have lost this one this time. I do think you will be happier to retain or reinstate the original features of the home. With or without the fire, so may as well keep it, it will be a lovely place for peace, a good book and scotch after a busy day just as you deserve.

Happy renovating!

Cheers

Margot

• PRO
    Feature Fire
    4 years ago

The cutout looks pretty big so you will likely be able to find an electric unit to fit in there, but it will probably end up with a trim to fill in the remainder. Might not look as great.

• Katie Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Siriuskey, thanks for your comments. The shelves either side of the fireplace in the photo are lovely! We were advised by the professional who did our energy report when we began our renovation four years ago to insulate that west facing wall. Hubby had tried many years ago by shoving insulation down the gap in the walls from the roof space, but was told that there would be gaps and that method isn’t very effective. So he’s planning to remove all of the plaster (house is brick veneer), insulate the wall space and the replace the plaster. We’ve been arguing about the fireplace since we moved back into the house after the bulk of the renovation was finished three years ago! I think I’m just going to have to insist that it stays!

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Hi Katie, I thought your external walls would be cavity brick?. I'am certainly not an energy expert, did you get any other advise from other Pro as it sounds destructive and the long way around, is it the only wall they suggested to do this.

It would certainly be worth while keeping the fireplace along with chimney and hopefully maintaining other feature like picture rails. The photos you posted show some neighbouring houses and gardens that from what I could see were lovely and maintained. cheers

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Sorry Daphnemaria I don't have any info on the coffee table perhaps you could search online for something similar, let us know how you go cheers

• Katie Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Hi Siriuskey, only the North walls are cavity brick in our house - which is the wall with the large window in the photos. This room is the only room in the house that has a West facing wall that hasn’t been insulated, because the rest of the West facing walls are new and we had to insulate them to achieve our energy rating. I might call another professional and ask whether there is an easier way to insulate it.

• C P
    4 years ago

so are you replacing the glass in the windows as well?

• siriuskey
    4 years ago

Hi Katie, I have nothing I can offer except the following article might be helpful saving a lot of money and mess if it's correct, worth exploring. We all now have a better understanding of what and why Hubbie was doing what he was and wanting to remove the fireplace may or may not have made his job easier, but it is so worth keeping.

https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/49664/what-type-of-insulation-is-needed-for-exterior-walls-on-a-brick-house

• PRO
    Monia Basso Architects
    4 years ago

Hi Katle, I would keep the fireplace as it is, exposed brick, if ties in with the rest of the room styling and the overall style you like and are after. I would than work with the idea f keeping it as a center piece, but utilising the firebox as a niche for a plant or sculpture. In addition, I would have a narrow piece of joinery custom design to work with the proportions of the fireplace, so on its entirety is like a new piece of furniture. The fireplace is still there but has a new function. Or could simple add a narrow shelf and painting over. Monia

• PRO
    MB Design & Drafting
    4 years ago

KEEP!

I'd insulate walls and re-plaster then re-install the mantle and mirror. Perhaps find another mantle if its not a desirable style. Also retain the cornices, you've got some gold right there!

Install a gas or electric insert into fireplace, maybe as Monia Basso Architects has noted use it for a plant or sculpture.

I'd say removing will create more problems and therefore costs. That time and money is better spent elsewhere.

• PRO
    Lauren Shiels Interior Design
    4 years ago

Oh my gosh please keep!

That fireplace is cool, I would reinstall the mantle and when the walls are painted (or wallpapered) get a large piece of beautiful art to hang above it.

If you are really having trouble convincing him otherwise, as a last resort, paint it.

• l_ms
    4 years ago

I had the same issue with the fire bricks and chimney dismantled in my 1920’s Californian bungalow. You can buy a zero clearance wood fireplace which has an insert and a flue so you don’t need a chimney or firebricks. It will probably heat the room better as well. We got ours from Agnews in Richmond,Victoria . With such a beautiful fireplace, highlight windows it would be a shame to lose these historic features.

• Katie Potter
    Original Author
    4 years ago

CP, no I’m pretty sure that he isn’t planning to replace the glass in the windows.

• Double D
    4 years ago

Love the windows they are a lovely featur.