riniw

desperate for backsplash help with Taj Mahal

riniw
4 years ago

I can’t pick one!! I can’t decide the look. Help plwSe going nuts

Comments (50)

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I think you are limited to a solid white tile which matches the white in the counter material. You have several tones of beige-tan-brown in the kitchen. The next choices are the wall color and an accent color.

• Lidia
    4 years ago

Slab backsplash with tm

• Susan Dobson
    4 years ago

I think a caramel colored glass subway tile would look fantastic.

• PRO
    Aqua Kitchen and Bath Design Center
    4 years ago

Have you thought about using the Taj Mahal as the backsplash as well? I think it would look just amazing. If not, I would go with a tan (cream) subway tile but would make sure to take some tile samples, bring them home, and make sure I like the match.

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    4 years ago

I agree, putting up quartzite on the backsplash as well would look great. Beige marble tiles like Botticino Fiorito or Crema arched herringbone could also look great.

• riniw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I have agreeable grey on the walls

• riniw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is bossy grey from Sonoma tilemakers. Thinking the right one as accent tile in the middle? Thought

• riniw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

This is a natural stone but I thought i should go ceramic

• Lidia
    4 years ago

My TM counter and slab backsplash. Was just completed last week.

• Lidia
    4 years ago

I also painted SW agreeable grey on the walls. It looks a bit blue in photos but works great with the TM. The LED recessed lighting is 2700.

• Gerry
    4 years ago

No accent tile. Plus, the one you chose would be a bear to keep clean with that texture.

• calidesign
    4 years ago

I would use the same stone for your back splash. If you need to use tile, choose one like the one on the left side in your photo of two, above. Very simple and clean. No accent tile. You already have a lot of variation with your floors, beadboard island, countertop and cabinet details. You need a very simple back splash.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    4 years ago

The slab looks fab! .............I agree there is a whole lot going on in this space already, are you keeping those pendants? If not I would take them down, it will make things a lot more visible for you.

• riniw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

FYI walls were not painted yet in this picture

• richfield95
    4 years ago

If a slab backsplash isn’t practicall, then a plain (not natural stone) tile would look nice, but in a lighter color than the samples you posted. Also make sure to compare the tile color to the cabinet color, not just the counters.

• myshabbycottage
    4 years ago

I like the bossy gray, simple subway tile. You could lay it herringbone or stacked for added visual interest. Would love to see what you decide. I'm almost at this stage too and ordered 15 different samples from tilebar!

• J Inhof
    4 years ago

We have taj mahal counters and natural ash cabinets. We installed white matte tiles and we used a grout called ‘alabaster’ color for the back splash. The (very light) taupe grout references the light taupe in the counters and adds just enough definition to the back splash to make it interesting but doesn’t overwhelm. I think ‘floor & decor’ has a matte thassos marble tile that might work. Good luck!

• skunst2017
    4 years ago

In would go with white simple tiles and paint the large wooden island in black . Would blend better with your decoration lamps and would detract / separate from the many different color woods.

• Juliana Okwumuo
    4 years ago

I would go with something that would pop because it’s all monotone right now pick a color or design that pops. Have fun!

• felizlady
    4 years ago

I like to use the same material as the counters. Here is the slab backsplash behind two 30” ranges.

• Juliana Okwumuo
    4 years ago

Looks good.

• riniw
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Can u take another picture of tile next to counter

• Susan Murin
    4 years ago

Here you go. Not sure the photo does it justice but I love it- let’s the Taj be the star.

• Gail
    4 years ago

I like the grey stacked subway tile idea, no accent tile. Your counters are beautiful!

• dezedarin
    4 years ago

I’d go with 4”x 8” white subway tile, staggered, with white grout. No accent tile. The idea is to keep Taj Mahal as the busy focal point. Otherwise, full Taj Mahal backsplash, as I did behind my stove month ago. Accent with hardware and decor.

• Rachel
    4 years ago

You may have decided already, but here's my 2 cents. Because you have wood cabinets, I'd go with a white tile that matches the countertops. I'd use white grout too.

• Lidia
    4 years ago

It’s been over a month, what did you end up doing?

• Jessica Sobolowski-Quinn
    3 years ago

We (myself and True Blue design) spent over 8 months pondering the perfect backsplash for Taj Mahal quartzite countertops. It literally was driving me nuts. But was worth the wait as the one we choose is gorgeous and perfect. Sonoma tile makers in edgecomb crackle. I am not a huge fan of subway tile look, so even tho this is subway tile, it does not look like the normal subway tile I am used to seeing. I used the Houzz forum a ton during our remodel so hoping I can pay it forward and help someone in the same dilemma :)

• audrey anders
    3 years ago

What color? Looked up edgecomb and it looks very gray. Yours looks lighter. It’s lovely.

• DJC
    3 years ago

Hi, your kitchen turned out beautiful! Could you let us know the color of grout you used with the Edgecomb? I agree yours looks nice and light and ours looks very gray. Thank you!

• nstrapani
    3 years ago

@Susan Murin i'm researching for new kitchen and see your pic above. Love your kitchen and hoping you can share few things or guide me! We just decided on Perla Venata quartzite yesterday (very close to Taj Mahal). Want some sort of soft white cabinets, not stark white - what shade are your cabinets? We also will have a large island 5x8 and the base will be something like a walnut (what stain is yours)? so far flooring is a natural wood looking porcelain. No clue re: backsplash either; toying with using the same as counter but yours is really nice. do you have specific name/ where you bought? this process is slightly traumatic lol so when i saw your picture i thought i'd write in hopes you see it. thx!

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

Thank you for the compliments on my kitchen! The cabinets are SW Egret White. The island stain was custom-matched to a piece of furniture. I don’t have specs on tile (pulled out receipt and it doesn’t have details) but it’s an elongated subway with matte finish in greige. I have no regrets on the choices. Best wishes on your remodel!

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

And you’re so right- the process is maddening! Too many choices and so much (internal) pressure to get it perfect! It will all fall into place!

• nstrapani
    3 years ago

Thx and it is maddening!. I really just want some expert ti tell me what to buy lol. The egret white is a soft white? What undertones do you see? I was looking at pure white. Would love to see to e of your floor too. And where did you find backsplash? If prefer live convo, let me know! Thx so much!

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

Honestly don’t see any...and it looks great with the Taj. Got the tile from Palm Tile and Stone in Sacramento CA

• Nicole Talebi
    3 years ago

I have been trying to put my kIitchen together using Taj. Brought almost every tile backsplash home and nothing worked.iIt either looked good with Taj but not my cabinet sample or vice versa. I finally found someone who figured out the problem. Taj has Rose in it and therefore should be paired with a tile that has a rose undertone. Splendours Cream was one that worked that had a rose undertone. I ended up choosing a different countertop because I dont have any rose undertone in my house and it was difficult to tie everything together. Its a beautiful stone but hard to work with. Hope this helps.

• riniw
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I have Taj and don’t see any rose. I used bossy grey tile and it looks great

• Susan Murin
    3 years ago

Surprising. I found it incredibly easy to work with as it integrates both gray and beige and works with both.

• sbv1962
    3 years ago

I recently installed Perla Venata and decided on a large scale white matte

tile so that it doesn't look to busy, nor does it compete with the counter. The grout picks up a taupe in the stone. I am super pleased with the result.

• lvenuto63
    2 years ago

what is the name of the backsplash you used here. It looks so pretty

• sbv1962
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

https://www.houzz.com/user/lvenuto63 

Ivenuto63: I found it on Houzz: SomerTile 8"x8" Provenzale Lantern Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile, Case of 4 - Mediterranean - Wall And Floor Tile - by SomerTile | Houzz, but my decorator ordered from another source for a slightly better price. This is a picture of the label on the box.

• Suzanne Cumbie
    2 years ago

@riniw what size is your island & where are the seams?

• Paula Moggio
    last year

@sbv1962 i LOVE your kitchen! Great job!! We just bought Taj Mahal slabs and once installed we will decide cabinet color. I really love your cabinet color. Can you share what color they are? And also love the backsplash - nice change from subway!

• stephvelasquez1962
    last year
    last modified: last year

https://www.houzz.com/user/webuser-427410188 

@Paula Moggio The perimeter cabinets are SW "Natural Choice" at 150% strength. The walls are also Natural Choice, but at 75% strength. The ventahood cover is Shitake - I was going for more of a contrast, but in the pictures, it really doesn't stand out from the Natural Choice. NOTE: the painting contractor talked me into the Emerald line from Sherwin Williams. I HATE it. It's water based. I will never use it again. Prefer the oil based enamels.

• Paula Moggio
    last year

@stephvelasquez1962 thank you for the info and insight! so helpful! I had a SW consult and they did mention the Emerald line - so that is very good to know! And it costs a lot more too :(

• Linds
    last month

I love the backsplash— what is it??

• Paula Moggio
    last month
    last modified: last month

We went back and forth as well trying to pick a backsplash. Initially we didn't want white, but for some reason all the tiles there were not white looked off in our kitchen... too yellow, too dull, etc. So, we went white and we love it now! The taj is now the focal point and doesn't draw out any yellow (which we didn't want)