kaveratir

Finished Condo Kitchen Reno!

kaveratir
4 years ago

Back in 2010 the Gardenweb Kitchen Forum peeps helped guide me through a kitchen renovation. Back then I was Rjr220, but that email server shut down, so now I am Kaveratir. We loved that kitchen and agreed that if we had it to do over again, wouldn't change a thing! The kids graduated from high school and college, have moved out, and are gainfully employed. While we loved the house, we didn't love the upkeep of a corner lot and a way-too-large house. We found a one story three bedroom condo that will allow us to age-in-place (we plan ahead), after renovations were made. These renos, of course, included replacing the original 1987 kitchen. Since I loved what we had done in the "big" house, I took the easy route and used the same cabinet maker, wood, style, and counter top (soapstone, installed by non-other than Joshua Schafer). I asked a few questions here, but tried to replicate as much as I could the functionality of my previous kitchen. In the old kitchen I had used a 45 inch Kohler Stages, but I didn't have room in this reno (and the price had gone up double of what I paid . . . .), but still wanted the same concept, so used a 32 inch Ruvati 8300. We love that sink even more than the Kohler Stages!

The space itself is about 10.5 feet wide, and 16.9 feet along the frig wall. It had the potential to be a much more functional space, so we expanded the kitchen into what was meant as an eat-in breakfast space. While we had to leave in (replace) the sliding patio door to be compliant with HOA guidelines, I pushed the cabinets as far down as possible on one side, and installed the tall pantry cabinets on the other side. We moved the range to be opposite of the sink so we could have people prepping, cooking, and cleaning at the same time, took down the lovely soffits and the column which contained plumbing and electric, and moved back the soffit that was over the hall as well.

Due to moving the HVAC down from the attic, I lost the broom and cleaning closet that was in the hallway. Instead, I used the space between the sliding glass patio door and frig and made that into the broom/vacuum closet. The drawer on top slides out and holds garbage bags and other cleaning needs.

• countertop is Vista Soapstone (un-oiled in the pictures, we love it that way)
  • the cabinets are custom birch with a wild cherry stain
  • Sink: Ruvati 8300 undermount
  • Faucet: Delta Mateo
  • Range: Electrolux induction
  • Range Hood: Zline
  • Dishwasher: Bosch
  • Frig: Counter Depth S x S LG, Door-in-Door
  • Floor: Porcelain tile: Parkay Marabella Costa -- this is installed through out the whole house (I took the easy route -- I also have the same style and color of cabinets in the bathrooms).

Original: looking from dining to kitchen

New view: columns and soffits removed

Another view with the column removed

Old, previous sink/range/frig placement

New view into kitchen

A sink close-up, because . . .

Oh, heck, one more sink and soapstone pic

Looking into old eat-in-breakfast area:

Repurposed space! Much more functional!

Broom/Cleaning Closet

Sorry this is so long! We are happy with what we have done and find it highly functional. We are having major jealousy from people who have lived here since the condos were new and recognize how much more functional the space can be! Our contractor has gotten contacted by several of the residents already, telling him they want him to do exactly what we did (we also did other major renovation for the master suite and enclosed a back patio into living space).

Let me know if you have any questions!

Comments (26)