girl_wonder

What would you do: budget kitchen remodel w/ golden oak cabinets?

girl_wonder
5 years ago

I’m back to considering a budget make-over for my kitchen (vs. the $$$ half-house remodel.) What would you do? (Pics below). I own a 1940 bungalow. The front of the house is super cute and original. The kitchen is a 1980s remuddle.

Is it a bad idea to first try to save the golden oak cabinets and only paint them later, if needed? (my house painter bid $3300).

Here’s my latest thought: what if I start with the stuff I can do myself. A) deep cleaning/de-cluttering inside cabinets. B) cleanup and touch up cabinets w/ Olde English; C) throw down some better rugs as a stop-gap measure to cover the yellowing, busy floor (On order). D) new window covering and better decorating. E) buy new stainless steel appliances. (Black Friday sales)? Including fan. F) possibly add hardware to make cabinets look more like shaker and less like 80s. (I’d hire a handyman for that). G) possibly try to stain the cabinets a slightly darker color to match the quarter-sawn oak chairs in the nook (and dining room table in other room).

Then later in the spring, with permits (when my GC is remodeling the master bath): new counters (quartz, off white), new sink, new faucet, new lighting; backsplash; new flooring (flooring material TBD. I have doug fir in the adjoining room) new paint etc

I guess my reasoning is to start with low-cost stuff I can do myself to gauge whether I’ll be happy with a refresh vs. the big remodel and...whether I could live with the oak vs. having them painted. (I don’t want to wait until the counters are in to decide I need to paint them).

Thoughts? Comments? Does this sound reasonable or am I just a commitment phobe or ??

Comments (63)

• girl_wonder thanked Fori
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just want to point out that "just paint" will not rid you of the oak grain. To achieve a smooth, no-grain finish (as shown in JudyG photo) will require wood filler and lots of sanding before the prime & paint. The upside is that the old cabinet pull holes will be gone, allowing you to place the new ones as you wish. If you decide to have them painted, they must be done with a sprayer...not a brush. BTW, you are lucky you don't have the dreaded "arched tops". Your cabinets are very nice as they are.

girl_wonder thanked chiflipper
  • Related Discussions

Need help in retrofitting our entertainment unit

Q

Comments (6)
    I would use whichever Asian piece fits the tv as a tv console. Then purchas or have custom built...two large column bookcases one on each side of the credenza...to reach to the soffit. Install glass shelves in the bookcases. Get rid of the cream sofa...I can't tell what is opposite it, but, it is white. It looks like you have too much large furniture all fighting to have their style be "the winner" and nothing meshes. Use the lower asian cabinet under the window...then a cluster of the traditional style chairs grouped for conversation. 2 and 2 facing each other perpendicular to the window. The small tables could be between the chairs. They could be very similar to the armchair that is in the picture, not matching...but the wood frames all the same color and the upholstery the same. Then repeat the upholstery in decorative pillows on the sofa. Using the armchairs in the traditional area, gives you lots of flexibility as you can easily move them over facing the sofa when you wish to create a larger conversational grouping, or facing the tv when there is something special you want to watch. Get rid of the curio cabinet and the round glass table as they are too much in contrast with the leather sofa. Paint the smaller tables in a bright color to add a pop of color...repeating the color in pillows on the sofa. (I see an orangey colored throw on the sofa...that would be a nice accent color) You could add lights in the bookcase columns for interest. Then, look for an unusual lamp or chandelier to hang in the corner behind the curve of the sofa. I would hang floor to ceiling draperies with the large grommets in the top to repeat the medalian on the asian pieces. Add a wide band of the accent color to the bottom of the draperies. Place 2 unique wall sconces on each side of the wall unit...something that draws the 2 styles together, maybe with hints of the accent color. A large piece of artwork, which includesvthe accent color, to be hung over the sofa. It would be fun to have a frame in an ornate traditional style, but painted to match the asian pieces. Thanks for the opportunity it was fun!
    ...See More

Any suggestion

Q

Comments (44)
    You could also bring in some texture with bamboo sticks or decorative branches and help balance a bit the height of your room with small scale furniture. Spray paint them if you find the perfect size and shape but they aren't the color that you need. Ikea carries white decorative stalks for a very good price. the ones in the 1st picture hold well with small kids around and you don't need a vase for them. there are washi paper or crinkly paper floor lamps with a soft beautifully diffused glow For a budget friendly version check ikea or target http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80028552/
    ...See More

Reviews for kitchen appliance brands

Q

Comments (122)
    I had purchased hafele hob 10 months back... I got it serviced 6 times... Now i requested for replacement with new one... Still they have not attended my request...
    ...See More

Kitchen Remodeling.

Q

Comments (2)
    It sounds like you have first hand experience with buying "cheap" kitchen cabinets - they just dont hold up more than 5 or 10 years. There are 2 issues with budget kitchen cabinets first is the structure/wood used..if not built correctly the wood dents and joints break with wear and tear. You can inspect for this before buying new cabinets. The finish is also very important and unfortunately it all looks good to start. THis is where you need to go with a reputable brand to ensure a good quality finish. Price for cabinets generally reflects quality so paying more will generally get you better quality cabinets. You can get a remodel cost estimate for your kitchen with the remodel cost calculators at www.remodelormove.com. To save on good quality cabinets select the finish and style you want and then check the brands that offer them then look for sales and specials many times you can find 10% off or more.
    ...See More
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@chiflipper--thanks for pointing out that the knob holes will be filled. Good point! Since I pulled out my painter's quote, I was able to check. He'd remove the doors and hardware, clean, sand, prime, lightly sand, fill nail holes, caulk where needed, spray 2 coats of finish on doors and drawers, the boxes are brushed out. Is that good? I've used him before (but not for cabinets) and have been happy with his work. Yes, I have been telling myself that: at least I don't have the arched tops. ;)

• Julie B.
    5 years ago

The grain would show through with that paint treatment.

girl_wonder thanked Julie B.
  • leelee
    5 years ago

I don't think adding pulls using the one hole from a knob would help because it would still place pulls in an odd location. The one thing that you can do if you were painting is reposition the knobs or pulls by sanding, puttying and redrilling.

girl_wonder thanked leelee
  • richfield95
    5 years ago

What condition are the cabinets in? i thought you mentioned the doors were flimsy? The cost of painting now, the quartz in the spring plus floors will be quite costly. I like your idea of doing the low cost stuff DIY, but then save the money for the counters, pro-painting and floors until you’re able to replace the cabinets too.

If the boxes are solid, then it may be worth looking at the cost of replacing the doors so they all match instead of painting what you have. Scherr’s and Barker Doors sell finished and unfinished customsized cabinet doors; they do online pricing so you can get an idea of what the cost would be,

https://www.barkerdoor.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SHAKER%2DIP%2DDOOR

• colonel115
    5 years ago

There is a product, Howards Restor a Finish, that will even out a finish on wood. I used their walnut on my oak cabinets. You basically use a rag (wear gloves) and rub it on like you're giving them a good cleaning. Then hand rub a coat of their bee's wax on top. It was labor intensive but very inexpensive to do. You're not changing the stain color like you would if you were refinishing but it spiffed mine up quite a bit.

girl_wonder thanked colonel115
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Julie, what is missing in that paint treatment? He’s sanding, priming, filling holes and caulking the gaps etc. thanks

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@richfield, thanks for your thoughts. The cabinets are in decent enough shape though they were made of pressboard. (We’ve had to repair the silverware drawer once). Most of the doors are solid wood, only those few are flimsy. When I got bids for new cabinets, I think the estimate was about 20K for KraftMaid, not even custom cabinets, and that’s just the cost of materials, so I’d have labor too. The new door ideas sounds cool. When I popped over there it seemed like there are a lot of add-on charges, so it might add up quickly, but let me check it out.

• Helen
    5 years ago

I like your cabinets including the warm oak. It doesn't have the dreaded arched doors so even the style can be made to read more contemporary.

I wouldn't paint them or stain them but I would work with them.

Stainless appliances would do a lot to modernize the look as well as hopefully providing you with better functionality.

I am not clear as to whether your cabinets are in good shape and you just feel are dated or whether there are construction issues. Probably the least expensive way to go is to get a local cabinet maker to make new doors or whatever.

What you do next really depends on your budget. Given the amount of cabinets you have, I am not surprised that the cost for Kraftmaid was $20,000 so unless you plan to spend $50,000 or so on a total kitchen remodel I would make those changes which update the look and minimize cost - ie. the most bang for your buck

I think the floor is very dated looking and changing it would be relatively inexpensive.

As discussed, replacing appliances would give you a modern look and you would have better appliances - remember not all stainless appliances are created equal so you would want to get the best appliances within your appliance budget.

It's hard to tell what your lighting Is in the kitchen but the fixture above the dining table s rather sad :-(. Replacing it for something with more pizazz would be relatively inexpensive. You should also consider under cabinet lighting and perhaps canned lights in the actual kitchen area.

I think the plants in front of the window are a bit passe looking and I would replace with a really sharp looking window treatment - perhaps a nice Roman shade

I have been told by wood experts on this forum to avoid Old English as it makes it more difficult to maintain the wood. I would probably double check to confirm - perhaps start a thread specifically asking about Old English or alternatives.

If your cabinets are not going to be replaced you could consider some accessories for them that improve functionality - do you have roll outs for your lower cabinets for example?

Replacing your counter and sink is really where you make the decision regarding whether you live with your cabinets or just hold off until you want to spend $50,000 to completely redo. Your choice of counters really depends on budget. Formica has come a long way and there are some really gorgeous formica choices available if you look at the Wilsonart website - you can get a curved edge as I did when I installed formica some years back and it doesn't have the tell tale formica seam :-). Some granite choices are actually relatively inexpensive so that depends on your budget. Obviously you don't want to spend a whole lot for a counter if you plan to rip out the cabinets in a short period of time since the counters would almost certainly not be able to be used again.

girl_wonder thanked Helen
  • herbflavor
    5 years ago

shell king shows a great semi-makeover. stainless appliances and darker counters give the cleaned up oak a great presence. You could do the same. What floor is on order?

girl_wonder thanked herbflavor
  • jhmarie
    5 years ago

I have a wood cabinets idea book which includes some refreshed older kitchens. It might give you some ideas:

https://www.houzz.com/ideabooks/75202366/list/wood-kitchens

The second one is mine and there are more pics in my "my pics" idea book.

What is meant by the grain will show through the paint is that the texture, not the color of the grain of oak shows trough the paint. This bothers some, but not others. Painted over a finished surface also does not wear as well as a factory paint job, and so usually touch ups are needed - again this bothers some, but not others.

These cabinets show wear as seen after 3 years:

From:https://www.confessionsofaserialdiyer.com/painted-kitchen-cabinets-three-years-later/

I painted some of my original oak kitchen cabinets about 18 years ago and put them in the laundry room. Wood moves with changes in temp and humidity which can crack the paint at the joints. This pic shows the oak grain and a paint cracked at a joint. This is a close up, and I actually don't really notice it, and only a few joints have the crack. These pics are not meant to discourage - just give information to help you decide:)

Your Houzz Bookmarks · More Info

girl_wonder thanked jhmarie
  • Fori
    5 years ago

Shell King did the knobs-in-a-weird-spot to pulls-using-that weird-hole conversion like you were thinking and it looks good!

There is no shame in seeing grain in painted oak. It's a tad charming.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

if you have any plans on painting, do not use old english. in fact, do not use that stuff period. it's a wax based product and will hold on to dust, grease, fingerprints like no ones business.

you got a quote from a house painter for those cabs?? no. no house painters, unless they are also qualified cabinet painters. to find out, have him spell out all of the steps for both preparing and painting that he does. everything. if he tells you, i paint them with primer and then paint, in place, run far away from that quote. if you want the paint job to last, time consuming prep work is the only way to make it happen.

Why not save the money and do it yourself? yes, it's a tedious, time consuming PIA, but you'll have money to use elsewhere. I would paint those babies in a NY minute. they will look like new. (and you need hardware when done).

before/after

a few of the products you will need.

If you think you might want to tackle it yourself, let me know and I'll give you the best link with how-to.

didn't you have an earlier post about your floors?? it looks familiar. you know you can paint over the vinyl, right?

I would also do a cute breakfast nook instead of that table

you can build this yourself with beginner DIY skills

girl_wonder thanked Beth H. :
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Wow, thanks everyone for your comments. I really appreciate them. I don't know where to begin to reply. Oh here: I'll post the link to a thread on how to properly clean wood cabinets. (thanks for the tip to stay away from Olde English)

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/how-to-clean-wood-cabinets-dsvw-vd~2690664?n=19

I emailed my neighbors to see if I can look at their finished kitchen, hopefully this weekend. They did a DIY update reusing their existing cabinets. The wife was the first one who mentioned to me, awhile ago, that wood cabinets are coming back. ;)

@fori--thanks for pointing how that shellking's kitchen had the knobs in a weird spot. I missed that. I think it would work on the two cabinets next to the fridge. The ones across from the sink are weirdly higher, but maybe I'll just go with it and say it's vintage charming. ;)

@Beth, yes, I had posted previously. Then I decided to do the full remodel. But then a couple issues came up in the permit process (new rules the city hadn't told us. thanks), and with the turbulent economy (and housing prices dropping already), I'm back to wondering if it's worth-it to invest a ton is a big remodel. Thanks for your suggestions but I think I'm going to steer away from a DIY project. (I'm behind on other stuff as it is, and even cleaning and decluttering cabinets/closets will take time). But your ideas are cute.

Last night I measured and did some math. My counters are 12' linear feet, so about 24-28 square feet. The floor is about 250 square feet. So I'm thinking maybe I can do a refresh for $15K (?). Seems high for a refresh but my estimates are: counters installed $3K, tile floor installed $5K, appliances $3K, + misc. (sink, faucet, lighting, backsplash, paint, knobs/pulls). I know my neighbors did some bargain hunting, so maybe they'll have leads on materials. If I went with new cabinets, that's another 20K + labor for installation. Thoughts on the $$$?

thanks again! I'm still open to other ideas/ suggestions.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi everyone, thanks for all your suggestions. I've decided I'll do the refresh (vs. the full blown house remodel). I'm thinking if I have doug fir floors under the vinyl, I'll refinish them and will have a pro paint the cabinets white. If I need to put in a new floor, I'll probably do tile and leave the cabinets as wood. Thoughts? I also went to HD and saw there are counter-depth french door fridges that will fit in my existing space (36" wide gap, so I'm looking at fridges that are 32-33" wide.) It feels like there is hope to improving this without blowing too too much $$$. Yay!

Today's question: As a stop-gap measure to hide that floor (arg!) I saw a used sisal rug on craigslist for $20. Is that a horrible idea? Seems like more boring beige (and something that will stain easily), but maybe boring is an improvement and I can restyle the window areas and direct the eye away from the floor. I know it's only $20, but I don't want to bring it home and immediately hate it. (It's been posted awhile, so it seems like I wouldn't be able to resell it quickly).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

you can buy a new sisal for not much more. how big is the used one? if you really want it, offer $10.

Just know that sisal can be a little rough on bare feet.

this one would work. It's about $60, 4x6.

Safavieh Natural Fiber Collection NF143 Rug, Marble/Beige, 4' X 6' · More Info

they have many more colors and sizes from 30-65 bucks.

[https://www.houzz.com/products/rugs/material_fabric--Jute-%26-Sisal/size_rug--2-x-3-Ft.-%26-Smaller--3-x-5-Ft.---4-x-6-Ft.-[(https://www.houzz.com/products/prbr4-br~t_515~a_623-12951--716-4114-4116-4118)

you can even do something like this for $35

Safavieh Evoke Collection EVK238 Rug, Ivory/Gold, 3'x5' · More Info

and I think last time you posted I mentioned how you can paint that vinyl and have a brand new looking floor.

• Mid America Mom
    5 years ago

Hi! IE flooring. I would look at getting a floating vinyl floor product that is Not a wood look. DIY and maybe can go right over what you have now.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Beth. I usually wear slippers, so the texture should be ok. The rug is 6x9, which is what I need. It's from Crate and Barrel and had cost $250 new. The 6x9 ones I see here online are about $120 and up (plus tax).

FWIW, last week I ordered this rug (below) and it will come on Thurs (fingers crossed). I paid a bit over $200, but am I throwing good money after bad?

https://www.target.com/p/striped-kilim-rug---green----6-x9-----safavieh--174-/-/A-51388804

FWIW, I ordered both the 6x9 and 7x7 verisions of that rug. The area from the fridge to the stove is 9'; from the sink to the cabinets on the opposite wall is also 9', so there might be a benefit to having it square. (I wish it was 8x8 or 9x9) Not sure if those strips and colors will work. Maybe I should wait until these rug arrives before I look at the sisal one. (?)

Thanks for the tips on painting. I don't want another DIY project (or the exposure to the chemicals).

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

ok, no prob. I like that rug w/those warm colors. 6x9 is huge! have you taped it off to see how it might look?

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I currently have a blue rag rug there now (something I owned) which is 6x9. I'd love something for the nook too. They don't have a matching one so something solid or ?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

girl,,,I found some 8x8 sizes you were asking about. they're on sale too.

https://esalerugs.com/8-ft-squares-rugs-show-84

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, wow, thanks a lot! That place is amazing, a ton of rugs and free shipping and free returns. Have you used them? Been happy w/ the quality?

(BTW, I love the hot pink shag rug. Not for my ktichen of course...)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

the really cheap ones, are pretty cheap. I have some made from that material, polypropylene, and they're pretty, but a little cheap feeling. don't expect a wool rug quality! but they're easy to clean. and if something does happen to them, it's cheap enough to get another!

if you want quality, look at the materials. wool, silk, cotton, nylon,,,those will be the better ones.

• Helen
    5 years ago
    I have a large Karastan Kirman 717 rug which I want to repurpose for my bedroom.

I think it would go with my color palette which will be a blush mohair bed with a teal velvet accent chair.

My designer says it works. My friend who is more minimal in her tastes says nay.

Any thoughts. If you are familiar with the rug, it’s got just about every color and is the cliche people think of when they think of a Karastan. It’s quite large so would basically cover the floor and go under the bed.
  • chiflipper
    5 years ago

IF you are keeping the cabinets "as is" I suggest you take one door to a Pro refinisher for a consultation. They should be able (with minimal effort) to tell you how to remove any "bad" product (such as Olde English) and what process & product will get them looking their best. Good luck.

girl_wonder thanked chiflipper
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@chiflipper, thanks for the suggestion. I can’t find a professional “refinisher” around here. (Though I can keep looking). But I got a bid from someone to reface the cabinets. The prelim estimate (based on photos) is about 13K + $100 per drawer for new drawers. Seems better to just install new cabinets, if I go that way.

And, if anyone is curious, the striped rugs arrived. Here’s how they look. (the large one is 7x7, so an 8x8 would be better). I think the rugs are nice but don’t achieve my objective. (I want to cover up the ugly floor. Yes, they do that, but they draw the eye down, you see the rug and then notice the ugly floor, lol). So I think I’m going to keep searching. My plan had been for a solid sage green rug in the main part of the room and an accent in the nook. (Not pictured here). I still need to spend some quality time with the website Beth mentioned. So much for my quick and dirty stop-gap fix to cover the floor. Ha

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

girl,,,it's too bad you're not into the DIY thing. Your cabs would paint up nicely.

Look into General Finishes Milk Paint (it's actually an acrylic, but easy to work with) . a friend of mine did her's (similar oak cabs) in Linen, and put on new hardware, and a few glass doors. totally upgraded the space for less than a few hundred.

and if you're that concerned about chemicals, then use an all natural Real milk paint (made from powered casein milk solids) or a simple chalk paint

any of these will make quite a difference and hold you over for years until you get new cabs. You could do these a little at a time without much expense.

And you could install hardware to finish off the look.

for the rug, they do have an 8x8 sisal

or a solid color

or a soft pattern
    https://esalerugs.com/yellow-squares-heritage-area-rug-22442030

this green one would be a nice color.

https://esalerugs.com/light-green-squares-loft-area-rug-22461935

https://esalerugs.com/light-green-squares-new-vintage-area-rug-33131317

• User
    5 years ago

I actually kind of like the cabinets. I don't think they are the dreaded cheap orange-y oak from the 80s/90s. The placement of the cabinet knobs makes me think they are considerably older (50s?60s?). They might even be original to the house? In the old days knobs were placed 1/3 up the cabinet door instead of near the corner as they are nowadays. So that means they are either old or the previous owner was just eccentric.

There's nothing wrong with oak. It's a perfectly nice wood that has become less trendy and was sometimes stained or varnished too orange in the past.

If they were my cabinets I'd first clean the bejeesus out of them. They might just be dirty and stained. Maybe after an extreme cleaning they will be a milder color. Then I'd install new knobs and pulls as you were thinking about. You can switch the knobs to pulls if you'd like a more modern hardware placement ( ie. use the existing top hole and drill the second hole lower, which will place it closer to the corners).

There's a lot of cream in the room which might be making the cabinets seem more drab. Maybe paint the walls a sage green to complement the oak. You can't replace the floors? There are some nice inexpensive tiles from Somertile and Daltile.

If you still hate the cabinets after cleaning them and changing the room you could try General Finishes gel stain. I think it's less work than their milk paint. You don't need to sand the cabinets down to use it. You can apply it over the existing finish.

But I agree with the suggestion to consider General Finishes. Whether you use their milk paint or gel stain is just a question of taste and which look you'd prefer. They have pictures on their website where you can see kitchens people redid using their products.

As mentioned earlier oak has a prominent grain that tends to show through paint, so in that respect the gel stain might work better.

girl_wonder thanked User
  • girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I wanted to give an update. I bought the sisal rug on Craigslist (for $10–thanks Beth!). Here are pics in the kitchen. I don’t love it (so much beige!) but it does cover the floor. There are stains on one end (so any light rug in the kitchen will get stained). So I’m going stop looking at rugs (except maybe on Craigslist) and move on. (BTW, I put the sisal rug in my living room, for a change of pace. Was able to cover the stain).

I talked to my floor refinishers (we’re wondering if we have Doug fir under the vinyl). They can’t make the call until the floor is completely pulled up. So worst case scenario, putting in new Doug fir or new tile floors will cost about $5k, probably the biggest single expense of this kitchen refresh. If the floor beneath a usable Doug Fir, I would save that and paint the cabs white. If the floor is not usualable, I’m leaning towards tile since...there will be a awkward transition point from the dining room into kitchen. (Plus my GC went in the crawlspace and said the subfloor might need to be rebuilt if I put in wood floors, but not tile). One advantage of painting the cabs is that I could use that 6.5” space next to the left of stove. I’ve seen some shallow 6” cabs, (that would open out to the left), and that could give a little workspace on the left side to the stove. If I go with tile, I may keep the cabs wood, at least at first. (Bad idea?) I also called the interior designer who I met when I was considering my big house remodel, so I can get his opinion on this new plan.

So....my latest Q: is it a bad idea for me to buy new appliances this month (Black Friday deal) even if I won’t be doing the rest of the refresh until spring? I could install them right away and improve my space. Or I could delay the delivery, I believe, up to 90 days but my GC and subs may not be available until April or May.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I really appreciate it!!!

• Fori
    5 years ago

Get your appliances now if you're sure about the size. No reason not to!

girl_wonder thanked Fori
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

great deal on the rug! You can get them now. even if you do decide to change everything down the road, they'll still work. try and get a countertop depth fridge though. you don't want a new one sticking out too far.

and hardware?? why not add some? it will really help update the looks. this style is my favorite. simple, looks good and will fit w/diff styles

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Beth. You inspired me to haggle on the rug. I normally hate doing it but it wasn't hard. (I said, "are you flexible on the price?" him: "Sure, how much?" Me: "Ten bucks". Him, wincing, "OK". Later he admitted that a friend had given it to him for free. So thank you!)

Thanks everyone for encouraging me on the appliances. I was surprised that a counter-depth could work in my 36" opening. I need to do more research but something like this. (I don't need a ginormous fridge.) So this is 33" wide and the door can be out beyond the cab enough to open, right?

https://tinyurl.com/y9ldt4zt

Great, thanks for the encouragement on the hardware. A couple weeks ago some hardware was on sale at Rejuvenation Hardware (but I didn't want to get a "good deal" until I had my solid plan.) I love that style. I'm probably going w/ oil rubbed bronze since one of my goals is to make my house more consistent, and I have ORB in other places and like it.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

your countertops are 24", yes? measure your current fridge to see how far out it comes. measure your width to be sure you have clearance.

BTW, check CL again for appliances. I've found killer deals on there for our rental. all brand new appliances for a fraction of what they cost in the store. my wall oven was $800,,,normally 2500. it had a dent on the side panel. you can't even see it because it slides in the cabinet! Same w/the DW. you can save hundreds by seeing what they have. now, if you're getting a special package deal and financing at HD, then go that route.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beth, can you recommend a place for hardware? Rejuvenation Hardware has a sale but for all the cabinet doors it's still $$$. Here's what I saw. Since we'll be drilling new holes, are there guidelines for sizes, 3", 3.5", or 4"? They also make a super cute pyramid knob but they are back-ordered until Feb.

https://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/collections/mission-drawer-pull/products/5b648cd8642ab643022bc2fd

Re: appliances, yes, my cabs are 24" deep, the current (laminate!) counter makes it a bit deeper, but I'm assuming that is standard. thanks for your help!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

do you have holes in the plain cabinets? I see u have them on the larger ones.

4" would be the minimum. why don't you cut a piece of tape to 4" and a 5" size and place them on the doors. lets see how it looks.

this should give you an idea

these are a tad too small, IHO. another inch would be good.

you can use the existing holes on some of them. I'd be concerned about the holes in the middle though. you may just want to keep knobs on those. Or go w/a longer handle on those back cabinets.

$12 per handle is not expensive! thats a decent price for a heavier handle made of brass.

these are $7

https://www.build.com/amerock-bp55277-cabinet-pull/s439072?uid=1315577&source=gg-gba-pla_1315577!c958978462!a46953045559!dc!ns&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIn4ilnPvF3gIVg7xkCh1znA3mEAQYCSABEgISr_D_BwE

$10 for these, same place, Emtek.

but, you could try:

https://www.myknobs.com/Cabinet+Hardware/_/N-category+Cabinet_Hardware

sometimes Wayfair has some decent selections.

https://www.signaturehardware.com/hardware/cabinet-and-drawer-hardware.html

• Caitlin Bright
    5 years ago
    You really ought to correct the placement of those knobs. In doing so, you would use wood putty to fill the holes, sand, and fresh paint. I think painting your cabinets yourself and having a new wood look floor placed would really spruce it up, more than any rug or appliance would! good luck!
    girl_wonder thanked Caitlin Bright
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

Caitlin,,,correct what holes? she doesn't have hardware on them. at least not on the main cabinets. she can use the current hole for the top of her new hardware, drilling a new one for the bottom portion. On those back cabs, she can use a 6" handle.

And if you'd read the prior comments, we've already gone over the 'paint your cabinets' option. she doesn't want to.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Here's a recent House & Home slideshow of kitchens and bathrooms with wood cabinetry. I thought slide 8 might interest you for the colour palette, girl_wonder. jhmarie, don't know if you'd want to add it to your wood cabinets links?

If you do need to reconsider new cabinets, girl_wonder, have you thought of IKEA? (You can hire someone to install the cabinets. Still cheaper than Kraftmaid.) Here's another H&H video - a renovated 80s condo with an IKEA kitchen. Sarah Richardson and Tommy Smythe. Kitchen starts at 1:41.

I have your flooring in my laundry room. Well, had. I successfully and cheaply camouflaged it.

girl_wonder thanked tartanmeup
  • tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Oh, forgot to say: I grew up in a 40s home and our kitchen had the original L-shaped banquette. I think Beth's suggestion of doing one in your breakfast nook is a good one!

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@taran, how did your camo the floor, paint? Woudl you be willing to post before and after pics? The floor is embossed and the one paint job I saw was dark brown and meh.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

girl,,,I gave you a lot of suggestions for how to do that floor, but you said you didn't want to mess with it! all you have to do is roll on some paint (special primer and paint that works w/vinyl) and then you can take your time and do a stencil or some other design.

these are sealed with a few coats of Floor Poly.

there are tons of pics, how to's and products to use. Pinterest. How to paint a vinyl kitchen floor. Cutting Edge Stencils will have stencils you can use and instructions.

https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/before-amp-after-margarets-patterned-kitchen-224816?

paint here was tintable Porch and floor paint by Valspar, at Lowes. (you must use primer 1st)

or do something easier like the stripes

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@Beth, first thanks for all your tips and ideas on the hardware. Good idea to mark them out and good to know that 4" is the min (they sell 3 and 3.5, which are cheaper, so I wondered if that would work. thanks) I know; You had a lot of good ideas on painting. Thank you. I am still waffling on what to do. I guess my concerns w/ the painted floors are the effort to do it and the maintenance (I have wear patterns on my front porch and the kitchen gets more traffic). Plus I want to limit my exposure to chemicals.

FWIW, this morning I emailed my house painter to check his schedule if I choose to have him repaint the cabs. (he's a much better painter than I am) Painting would allow me to fix the placement of the holes on some of the cabs (currently, most of the cabs do not have holes). I could also put a cab to the left of the stove. And I made an appt next week with the interior designer who was going to help me pick finish materials etc with the big remodel....to get his opinion of a scaled-down remodel. i.e. how to make this house a better version of what it is without spending a ton of money since I may move in a few years....thanks for all your help! I don't want this to be all about $$$, but everything is so $$$ and I hate the idea of investing a lot of excessive $ that I won't get when I sell. (when my former realtor came over this summer, she kept saying "do what *you* want; do what makes you happy; you don't need to do anything to fix this house to sell it" etc). So I guess my dilemma: what can make it more live-able for me for the next few years. (but possibly longer? who knows?)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Nope, not paint. Contact paper. AKA magic. Perhaps one day we'll get around to redoing that floor properly but in the meantime, I have an easy to clean surface that coordinates with my white walls. Instant mood lifter. Still in good condition after more than a year of almost daily use. (I only did the space in front of my washer and dryer so the surface was tiny.)

If I had a kitchen floor to do, I'd paint that sucker so fast. :D Beth is right: totally doable and affordable. A carpet covers but it's a tripping hazard. Also, not as easy to clean as a smooth surface.

If your wood floor underneath the vinyl isn't in good enough condition to refinish, you could paint it. Thomas O'Brien swears by marine grade paint for his living room floor. (I saw this in one of the shelter mags but I can't find the picture now.)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

I understand your wish to reduce your exposure to chemicals but a lot of today's paints are low-VOC. You can research your options. Viable ones do exist.

Forgot to ask: do you have a vision for your kitchen? Inspiration pics? That should help guide you in your decisions. I hope the designer can help guide you as well. Most everything can be done in stages and budgets are real things that need to be respected.

• girl_wonder
    Original Author
    5 years ago

@tartan, thanks. Interesting point about the trip hazard on the rug. It's funny. My blue rag rug hasn't been a problem, but when I tried that rug from Target, I caught my foot a few times, just within one day. (It was a flat weave wool rag)

Interesting idea to paint the wood floor underneath. My wood floor guy can't commit to being able to refinish the old floor until the vinyl is pulled up and he sees the entire floor, so interesting to consider this option... (the floor is about 250 square feet, including that little hall to the back door and the w/d closet off the hall and behind the stove) so my bids for flooring are running about $5K, either new doug fir (to match the front of the house) or tile. thanks!

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Spotting a few palatable tile options at Home Depot for $5 sq. ft. or less so $5K for a tile floor seems a bit pricey for 250 square feet but I don't know how much labour and installation materials cost. Keep researching your options, I'm sure you'll find something taste and budget appropriate. :) Good luck!

• PRO
    Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
    5 years ago

Great decision to leave the cabinets for later as they already look pretty good. If you do decide to treat them, go for a lighter color, not darker. Remove the plants from the window to let more light in. Consider a new backsplash and new countertops. I think that that rich color of your cabinets would welcome light marble looking quartz counters like Calacatta Nuvo, Statuario Nuvo (more veining), or pristine looking Blizzard Caesarstone quartz. I think any of these would look beautiful in your kitchen both as a countertop and backsplash. It is important though to see the whole slabs of quartz and check the veining and the pattern so you are sure which one you like best and how much veining do you actually like -- more or less. Good luck with your project!

girl_wonder thanked Home Art Tile Kitchen & Bath
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

girl,,,how old is that vinyl floor? asbestos anyone? if it is, you have to have it properly abated and that's quite chunk of cash. have a little piece tested first before you get started.

plenty of paints on the market w/low voc. if you pull it up and redo the wood, those are chemicals in that as well. pick your poison.

A house painter isn't a cabinet painter. ask him how he preps the space, preps the wood (does he sand, de-gloss, prime, sand again? what products does he use? does he paint on site or take them back to his place? what's the diff? whether or not you paint starts peeling in two months! make sure you get a written guarantee about the paint lasting and him fixing any chips or redoing any parts that peel) If his prices are cheap, I can assure you he will not be prepping those properly.

Sponsored