mamcintire

Inherited House

mamcintire
6 years ago
What style house is this? Cottage, Traditional, etc. It is located in Mississippi.

Comments (18)

• Irene Morresey
    6 years ago
    Ranch style perhaps
  • mamcintire
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It is located in the city. I think the red brick porch and walkway is more cottage style. The windows are not ranch style. I need to make a better picture. My yard man was cutting the bushes and only had one side done. The house is the same on the other side. Thanks for your input,
  • emmarene9
    6 years ago

Cape Cod.

• PRO
    Thousand Oaks Blinds & Shades
    6 years ago

Traditional cottage.

• mamcintire
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    What style house is this? It is in Ms. It was built in 1930.
  • mamcintire
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thinking about painting the walls gray and leave the fireplace and bookcases white. Any decorating ideas? Furniture? This is a very large room. The fireplace is between the bookcases.
  • AprilShowers
    6 years ago

I would call it an adorable cottage!

• maria
    6 years ago
    Seeing that living room I'd say it's definitely cottage. That room would look wonderful in a dark wall color with the contrasting white shelves and fireplace. With the molding it could go elegant and more formal or full on cottage depending on your style.

I'd i be this house!
  • maria
    6 years ago
    Er, I love this house!
  • janedoe2012
    6 years ago
    Was it built in the late 1940's to late 1950's? I don't know what it's called, but I don't think it's really a cape, because the roof is less dominant and it's also one-story. So based just on that, it's more of a ranch. But not a mid-century ranch, or a ranch-ranch. It's a more traditional, more formal southern-style ranch.

The interior trim and the trim around the front door are more formal than "cottage."

It's very nice. I would look to Southern Living for inspiration. It's a southern house IMHO.
  • latifolia
    6 years ago

Really cute cottage. It will be a joy to decorate. Two things I notice you may want to have checked out: the front stairs look as though there’s a settlement issue; that wavy pattern on the back of one bookcase is odd. Wondering if that could be settlement or termites. Please have those addressed before spending money on decorating.

• Nancy Walton
    6 years ago

It is a Cape Cod cottage. A really true Cape Cod would have a roof that was taller with a 12:12 slope, and have either an unfinished attic or what they call a half-story (rooms with slanted walls).

• mamcintire
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It was built in 1930.
  • mamcintire
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    It does have foundation problems that will need to be fixed.
    What type of semi-formal cottage furniture would you recommend? Please show pics if you can.
  • Nancy Walton
    6 years ago

Now that I see the photo better, it's more like a half-cape with ell. I would do white or off-white slipcover furniture, with chintz accents. Pastel oriental rug. I would not paint the walls a very dark color, as there doesn't seem to be a lot of natural light. A dark color would make it cave-like, instead of bright and airy.

• apple_pie_order
    6 years ago

Does it have hardwood floors under the wall to wall carpet? If so, refinishing them in a classic color (natural, walnut) would be in keeping with the style. Then pick an Oriental rug. Transitional or traditional furniture would be fine. If you like antiques, there's a lot available now at very low prices in consignment shops in many areas. Paint would be chosen last. If you really want gray, wait to see what the floors look like before deciding on warm or cool grays. A very light silver gray might work well with the marble fireplace. https://www.houzz.com/photos/ccg-interiors-llc-transitional-family-room-chicago-phvw-vp~152810

• mamcintire
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    There is all hardwood flooring under the carpet throughout the house. Chandeliers in the foyer and dining room. Large arched entry way to the living room and dining room. The arched match the arched bookcases built into the walls. My parents used pecan tables with inlaid marble and a large pecan dining table with formal chairs. The furniture looks like it's from the 1950's.
    I prefer traditional wood furniture. Not a fan of pastels. Love French Country furniture but I doubt I can afford it after renovating the house.