natalie_isherwood

Refurbing a small three bed semi

Natalie I
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

Hi Everyone. Although I love looking at the unlimited budget renovations on Houzz, I do like to see the small scale developments of houses that we are more likely to be living in- anyway here goes! I have just completed such a project and attach plan and photos. Layout changes consisted of taking the wall out between the kitchen and dining room, adding a WC under the stairs and removing an old lean-to. No change to the first floor layout. Expensive budgeted "unseen" costs were for a full rewire, new boiler and all walls and ceilings re-plastered due to wallpaper damage to the walls and artex on all the ceilings. Unexpected costs included the removal of asbestos (cold water tank and soil pipe) and an additional charge to dispose of plasterboard waste. Everything painted white so no cutting in required to save on decorator costs- a requirement at end of project as earlier extra costs meant readjusting remaining budget spend. I like to add some furniture to give viewers an idea of how the rooms could "work" . I could also add colour to contrast with the white walls. A tip recently learnt from show houses; fit the curtain poles at ceiling height to increase perception of height-and it seemed to work! BEFORE

AFTER

BEFORE

AFTER (WALL REMOVED)

AFTER

BEFORE (TAKEN IN ENTRANCE BETWEEN LOUNGE/DINING ROOM)

AFTER

AFTER (TAKEN FROM DOOR TO THE HALL)

AFTER (REPLACED PANTRY WITH WC/BASIN UNDER STAIRS)

Comments (25)

• Louise Westbury
    6 years ago
    Fantastic job! It looks wonderful.
    Natalie I thanked Louise Westbury
  • Alannah Moore
    6 years ago
    Great job! Hard work shoes results!
    Natalie I thanked Alannah Moore
  • jakea1974
    6 years ago

Looks great. I am just going through the process of buying a 3 bed house which needs decoration in all rooms. Can you tell me what kind of budget you had and if you used a interior designer?

• Natalie I
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello jakea1974. Budget of £30,000 to cover structural works, full rewire, boiler, full re-plaster, professional re-decoration, internal doors/ woodwork, joinery, new kitchen and bathroom, floorings, garden improvements etc, etc plus a contingency. House is in Wiltshire so labour costs reflect local market. I didn't use an interior designer- but I do spend (too much!) time looking at magazines, show home interiors and Houzz of course!

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments :)

• jenniimatthews
    6 years ago
    Lovely job...well done...
    Natalie I thanked jenniimatthews
  • minnie101
    6 years ago

Great job. The difference in light is dramatic and your window dressings do make the ceilings seem higher :)

Natalie I thanked minnie101
  • emertuc
    6 years ago

Love the kitchen/living room especially!! Is that normal laminate floor boards in the kitchen? or a special kitchen flooring? Thanks

• emertuc
    6 years ago

one more question :) I love the idea of the curtain poles at ceiling height! it's fab! Did you do the same with the roller blinds? are they also fitted outside the window at closer to ceiling height? thanks ;) Getting ready to re-furb here too and loving all the ideas :)

• Natalie I
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello Emertuc So pleased you like it! In answer to your questions: The floor covering is actually cushioned sheet vinyl. For a house in this price range it was an option, cheaper and much quicker to lay than wood/laminate. Yes I did put the Venetian blinds at ceiling height too (you can see one in the living room) however the roller blind in the kitchen is only 50cm above the window as I was limited by the length of the material on this "off the shelf" blind. Having the blind at this height means you can pull the blind down a little for effect without obscuring the window. Good luck with your own project!!

• emertuc
    6 years ago

Wow! It looks fab! Well done

Natalie I thanked emertuc
  • PRO
    Harris Interiors Ltd
    6 years ago

Looks amazing, well done!

Natalie I thanked Harris Interiors Ltd
  • User
    6 years ago
    Do you have to be on a pc to see photos?
  • Louise Clark
    6 years ago

No. I mainly use my phone when browsing on Houzz. What kind of device are you using?

• edwards_zara
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Lovely home. It's nice to see realistic home scales. I much prefer those; instead of the grand homes that are often featured on interior design sites.

Natalie I thanked edwards_zara
  • marybelhawkins
    6 years ago
    Are the kitchen units matt or gloss?
    Natalie I thanked marybelhawkins
  • Natalie I
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Marybelhawkins- the kitchen units are gloss.

• marybelhawkins
    6 years ago
    Love the whole transformation, well done you. Hoping we can achieve something as good!
    Natalie I thanked marybelhawkins
  • PRO
    Kluk Construction Ltd
    6 years ago

Well done !

Natalie I thanked Kluk Construction Ltd
  • Alannah Moore
    6 years ago
    Looks really good. Fab job.
    Natalie I thanked Alannah Moore
  • jenniimatthews
    6 years ago
    Super job...well done...
    Natalie I thanked jenniimatthews
  • PRO
    Barbara Genda Bespoke Furniture & Interiors
    6 years ago

Lovely stuff, well done

Natalie I thanked Barbara Genda Bespoke Furniture & Interiors
  • Natalie I
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks everyone for your lovely feedback!

• vicki lee
    6 years ago
    Love the light fitting above the table, can I asked where this was from?
  • Natalie I
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hello Vicki Thanks! Bought the light fitting from a M&S sale ages ago- I knew eventually I would find the right place for it!