pj20ten

Window Treatment Dilemma on large slider door, Vertical Panels? (PIC)

Mark D
6 years ago

Hi All.. So we are looking for window treatments for our newly remodeled space. The one major design dilemma we are having is the large slider door (see photo). We are debating between:

1) Vertical Panels

2) Vertical Blinds

Our concern is we have a great slider with a lot of light coming in and don't want to block an entire pane of glass with vertical panels. So considering fabric Vertical Blinds so when fully opened the footprint is smaller.

QUESTIONS:

1) Vertical Panels, if we were to come out 5-6" on each side PAST the molding/trim vs mounting the track on the molding, so that when they are opened they cover less of the pane of glass, will that look ODD, the track coming out past all of the molding? (I have trouble envisioning the final design, one person said it won't look odd having the track past the molding)

2) Any thoughts on durability of Panels vs. Blinds (we have young kinds)

3) Any other advice or thoughts would greatly be appreciated.

THANK YOU!

Comments (17)

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

so the problem is, you have this door all trimmed out as though you were going to use an inside mount window treatment, but now you arent. so, all of your nice finish trim is going to get covered up. : (

shoulda/coulda's are generally useless, but having the blind mounted all the way to the ceiling will look best. it will mimic how drapery panels are hung now.

basically, your trim style just isnt in harmony with your desired window treatment. its more for roll up shades or blinds. so, hmmm. i'll look for pictures.

ok so here is your best bet. you'll want center draw. glass will be covered, but def less than with panels.

i prefer the blinds all the way off the glass but that ship sailed away. this picture shows pretty much your trim style, so go you.

make sure you get center draw!

oh, and teach your kids to keep their dirty mitts off da blinds.

• Mark D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Yea, 100% we weren't thinking about the final treatments when doing our remodel :( shoulda/coulda lol.

So you think if I were to come past the trim in the middle it would def look odd? And best option is to go all the way up and past then it would look better (yes covering up all my nice trim work)

Thanks. Good info.
  • Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

if you are happy with the photo i gave, i think it looks fine. you'll get all sorts of push back from commenters here, vertical blinds are a dirty word. but i have them in my vacation home because they work best with sliders, giving access and sun protection, so you'll get no push back from me.

• Mark D
    Original Author
    6 years ago

ah I totally missed the picture, yea that looks fine - have to show the wifey :) I have gotten push back on the blinds, we are mixed. personally i like the panel look better, but weighing price, what we have to work with, and my concern of having small footprint may push us to the blinds.

Thnks again!

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 years ago

Because I do not like blinds for anything other than function, I would always try to use drapery panels instead. Is it possible to mount a decorative rod above the door and use grommet top panels...pulled all the way to the right when not closed? They come in all price ranges /colors/patterns, and they are easy with little kids.

• Susan Davis
    6 years ago

I think you could have custom fabric Roman Shades made for the window that will reveal all the work you have done and still give you privacy when needed.

Fabric Roman Shades

living room · More Info

Fabric Roman shade at kitchen window floor to ceiling curtain panels

Estate Model Home, Brampton · More Info

Roman woven shade with side curtain panels

Rhode Island Beach House · More Info

Fabric Roman shades

Martis Camp #219 · More Info
    Just some visualizations for you to consider?

• Mark D
    Original Author
    6 years ago

@Susan Davis Second picture with roman at kitchen and curtains at slider is nice. Like that look. Over the sink concerned about the splash.

I guess I should have posted the entire space first. It's an open concept we have Kitchen, Living, and Dining. (SEE PIC). We are leaning toward cellular on the bow windows (top down bottom up) for the purpose because of letting light in and also privacy we are very level and at street people can see in.

The kitchen and skinny kitchen window we were considering roller shades and the slider a vertical panel or blind with same fabrci. The fabric from cellular to the roller/verticals will be different but we don't see a way around since we want some light w/ privacy, romans don't offer that...

Decisions... Price is definitely a factor to some degree. ie. we were quoted about $3500 for graber, cellular at bows, rollers for kitchen, and vertical panels for door. But the mounting/valance for verticals is concerning me.

From what @ninigret posted the blinds don't look bad at all... also the roman shades don't look bad either...

• PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Traverse rod that opens in the middle with drapes would look beautiful...when not in use the drapes will flank the slider and add design and softness to the space at night complete privacy.

• Mark D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    What do you think the footprint wood be w drapery/curtains when fully opened? The edge of molding to molding is 128" and I can go 7" past that
  • Mark D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    I personally like that look also. Especially going to the ceiling.
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Perfect 7" will work nicely..you could have the track on the ceiling..very finished look and barely noticeable in white...with a pattern sheer would be fabulous!!

check out Halfpricedrapes.com they have a nice selection of tone on tone sheers.

• Mark D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Thanks! Another question - based on the other photos I posted you think that cellular on the bows and rollers on the kitchen windows with drapes on slider will look fine or two "patchy" (not sure if that's a good term).
  • felizlady
    6 years ago
    I have vertical blinds over a slider that gets lots of afternoon sun. The window trim is narrow and basic, so I have the verticals covering the trim. Verticals allow you to control the light by the angle of the vanes and direction in which they close, and allow access to the door when partly pulled to the side. They seem to be the best solution for the situation. Fortunately they come in many different looks to fit any room's decor.
    In your case, your window trim is beautiful, so I would suggest your verticals be attached on the flat upper trim but not covering the side trim. You can choose a finish which matches the window trim or goes with the wall color or other color within the room.
  • Mark D
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Similar to what @ninigret posted in first comment? How much window do I loose in the stack though?

So confused on what route to go. Blinds... Drapes...
  • PRO
    Home Interiors with Ease
    6 years ago

Please do not hang verticals in this gorgeous new home..I am sorry but they are dated their is nothing pretty or stylish about them.....

• Judy Mishkin
    6 years ago

ah but they work.