bikebox_london

Replacing our garden wall with bike and bin storage and garden planter

Trazza B
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We live in a typical east London Victorian terrace house. Our bikes were being stored in the hallway. Our front brick wall was falling down. Our bins and bags cluttered the front garden. Our steps to the house were too small for our feet and the tiles were chipping off. We needed storage. We needed to replace our wall. We needed wider steps into the house. And we like to garden. The designer in the house came up wth the Bikebox Garden Wall. Then the neighbours wanted one and it seemed to be a good idea to go into production. If you would like to know more, please see the website Bikebox.London

Comments (20)

• Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you, Shannon. The tiles are beautiful and we have seen a similar approach taken with the refurbishments happening around us. We've thought about tiling, but have some other ideas to explore.

• S L
    6 years ago

Brilliant idea

Trazza B thanked S L
  • PRO
    Charles Byron Ltd
    6 years ago

I'm sure it must be a wonderful feeling knowing that you are a trend setter. It looks wonderful and you've given yourselves a degree of privacy as well

Trazza B thanked Charles Byron Ltd
  • Syreeta Robinson-Gayle
    6 years ago

I really like this, can you do any size?

Trazza B thanked Syreeta Robinson-Gayle
  • Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Syreeta, thank you - yes, this is an adjustable design. Or if you have something else in mind, we can discuss what your requirements are. For more info and contact details, please see our website Bikebox.London

• AMB
    6 years ago
    Love this! Great idea. I would have one in a heartbeat if my front garden was big enough.
  • Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    If you would like to have a free consultation on whether the Bikebox is suitable for your place, please contact us on our website and we'll be pleased to discuss the possibilities. Generally the design is very adaptable, as it is made to measure. www.bikebox.com
  • AMB
    6 years ago
    I will have a look thanks! How did you allow for soil drainage for the planters? Does the water drain onto the top of the bike shed component?
  • Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Drainage is incorporated into the design and eventually drains to the street/ground - just like a normal planter.
  • PRO
    Blooming Planters Garden Design
    6 years ago

Great idea, I will definitely keep you in mind.

• PRO
    Touch Landscapes
    6 years ago

Love the Corten finish! Smart and contemporary too. I will also keep you in mind.

• dbenezet
    6 years ago

Lovely design, can you say how this is secured/locked, or maybe post a photo of the section where you lock the storage please?

• Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    The box is locked with a mortice key (5 lever) and a lock that is welded into place. Not sure you can see the key hole on this image - but it is there. It’s also welded to the ground and is made of structural steel - using intimidation tactics to dissuade the opportunist. The added security is that it’s actually disguised as a planter and so most people are surprised to find it provides nearly 4sqm of extra storage. If you are in London, come for a tour!
  • Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Perhaps this picture is easier to see where the key/lock is located
  • Sam Potter
    6 years ago
    What a fab idea. Can you give some idea of cost? Also is this suitable for a tiny front garden? Shown here piled with the previous residents' abandoned stuff on moving day.
  • Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Hi Sam - thank you

yes, it’s suitable to small gardens (well, to a point!) check out my instagram for some great examples (Bikebox.london) and come see some in the metal
  • Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Back to @dbenezet - I’ve taken a better phot of our own Bikebox lock access - sliding doors will have a handle above, ours is a swinging door, so no visible handle.
  • Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    Re: indications of costs - pricing is available on our website, as I figure this is the thing everyone wants to know first up. www.bikebox.london
  • Trazza B
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    @bathroomeleven - we did finish the path to the house, chose to go with concrete and granite, with steel panelling (more!)