kasindalj

render or not?

kasindalj
7 years ago
We are extending our house to add another master suite and garage but are not able to get the same bricks. We thought about render but there seems to be a lot of reasons not to, including the cost. The extension will be to the right of the existing house so highly visible. Ideas please.

Comments (23)

• bigreader
    7 years ago
    If you use brick you prob do need to render. The alternative would be cladding colour matched to the existing garage door, Windows et.
  • kasindalj
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    garage doors will be new, charcoal or something similar. we were also looking at stone veneer or some other way of disguising the bricks.
  • Julie Herbert
    7 years ago
    cladding in wide panels run vertically would look great, we had this done over our old brick house and I love it, painted in 'stepney' with 'raku' trims has given a real edgy look, did instead of render after reading comments from other Houzzers on the upkeep of render.
  • kasindalj
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    hi Julie, what material was the cladding? Stone, metal, timber?
  • Marcy
    7 years ago
    Always lol
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

A rendered finish on the new extension would look good, I believe the new renders are great, if you were near the beach you could use horizontal cladding, would be easier if we could see a plan or such

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Lovely house with timber and render

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

York Shadow House · More Info
    Brick and Rendered panels

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

York Shadow House · More Info
    Rear of same house

• kasindalj
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    we are in Canberra, nowhere near a beach. Thanks for ideas. I don't want it to look out of place and I am worried that rendering will be out of date and high maintenance. we don't like the bricks so we are ok with covering them it is just so many people seem to regret render.
  • Julie Herbert
    7 years ago
    Hi, we used scyon panels, there is a video from 'the home team' using this product to update a house and it looks terrific, we got our inspiration from this and we couldn't be happier
  • Karen McLeod
    7 years ago
    We have a 20 yr old rendered brick home & recently had it painted for the 2nd time.
    Not because it needed it, but because we felt like a change of colour.
    Twice in 20yrs isn't what I'd call high maintenance .
  • LesleyH
    7 years ago
    What did the last one cost?
  • Cheryl Kingsman
    7 years ago
    I have Hardi's cladding that was painted 6 years ago and still looks new. They have a new product called Scion that looks great!
  • Cheryl Kingsman
    7 years ago
    Scyon Linea.
  • kasindalj
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you everyone. I will talk to the builder about the scion option and see if we can maybe do something.

• Karen McLeod
    7 years ago
    We have a very large pergola that was a lot of work to paint & lots of fiddly bits on the front s well as gates & doors. The total price was $8000.
  • PRO
    Chilton Architects
    7 years ago

Perhaps bagging the brickwork would be another idea. Not as expensive as render and you still have a faint outline of the bricks - more suitable for this style of house as it retains a surface texture like bricks, but without the colour. Bagging is a cement slurry applied over the bricks - can have an integral colour, be left grey or painted. Works best if the brick joints are flush with the face of the bricks which seems to be the case in your photos.

• kasindalj
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think the option of a few different colours/ textures might work. My husband thought we could leave the existing left hand side and verandah as brick and get the new part and the existing garage rendered or some sort of stone cladding that goes with the brick. My concern is the brick is quite patterned and the cladding would have to be pretty simple or it would be too busy. I like the idea of using a charcoal brick and sandstone combination.

• LesleyH
    7 years ago
    Nuline weatherboards are a similar but cheaper option to Linea Board.
  • siriuskey
    7 years ago

keep it simple, retain bricks and use cladding/panels on the extension, different textures and colours as Kasindalj mentioned work well together and would save a lot of unnecessary expense

• siriuskey
    7 years ago

Your extension could look something like this, garage wall rendered a lighter grey ,bedroom clad and all 3 garage doors painted the same grey colour, I think this would blend in with the original bricks