lantana17

Emtek or Schlage Lever for interior doors?

lantana17
11 years ago
I am replacing the hardware on all of our interior doors. I really like the Emtek but not sure if it is worth the splurge. We have knobs on our doors now that have probably been here for 30 years that are cheap but work fine so not sure if it seems necessary to get the Emtek. I am choosing between the Schlage Latitude or Merano Lever or the Emtek Luzerne or Triton lever in oil rubbed bronze. Has anyone gotten the Schlage and regretted their purchase? Any preferences on which lever you like better? They will be going on white flat panel doors. Thanks!

Comments (44)

• lantana17
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The first picture is a Schlage Latitude lever, second pic is Schlage Merano lever, third pic is Emtek Luzerne lever, fourth pic is Emtek Triton lever.
  • PRO
    McCabe By Design LLC
    11 years ago
    Emtek is typically a better quality product. That being said, most manufactures have different lines for different price points. Identify the line and related price point, the old adage of "you get what you pay for" should apply. Go for quality over price.
  • kyyee
    11 years ago
    Doing a whole house reno and replaced all with Schlage Latitude, with the round rosette. Looks good and seems to work fine. Used HD to price match and beat Lowes so it worked out quite well. I personally like the fact that you can go to either HD or Lowes for replacement and don't have to search around for Emtek stuff if something goes wrong. Not sure if applicable, but if you need dummy handlesets, don't bother with an actual dummy; use a passage without the cylinder (single dummy or double dummy); the only difference is that the workaround will have the lever swing (but no cyclinder doesn't make a diff) and a dummy has a fixed lever.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    11 years ago
    The Schlage levers seem a bit "wiggly" in their operation whereas Emtek has a solid feel. I changed out the entire house for one of my clients in Emtek levers approximately two years ago. I'm back working on another project with this client and the levers are still solid in their operation.
  • PRO
    Ironwood Builders
    11 years ago
    Schlage makes a commercial line that is equal to Emtek in its solidity (really solid..the HD stuff isn't solid)...thing is the price point is as high or higher than Emtek or Baldwin. I've replaced residential Schlage lever sets multiple times and finally moved up to the matching commercial style so I wouldn't have to go back again. So you know, our warranty holds even if the material used is not our first choice.
  • emzuccala
    11 years ago
    I have always purchased Emtek products and their quality has held up tremendously. If you're looking for really good prices on Emtek products check out this website: http://homesteadhardware.com/door-handles/door-handles.html
  • PRO
    Interiors International, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I have never had a problem with Schlage.
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    As Scott Design mentioned, I also noticed the "wiggliness" in Schlage ... but, like Ironwood said, I probably only experienced their HomeDepot-level products, but not Schlage's higher-end products. As Ironwood pointed out, the "really solid" feeling is important (for me), so I "splurged" a bit and went with Inox (for all interior doors) and Baldwin (for the main entrance door handle set).
  • armygirl1987
    11 years ago
    Ed, can you give me some specs of the door handle that you posted.
  • armygirl1987
    11 years ago
    I did not know that there was such a huge differences in simple items as door handle. I have the Schlage on my front door and I am already noticing the wiggles that you guys are talking about.
  • PRO
    Bens General Contracting Corp.
    11 years ago
    I have used emtek quite a bit and recommend it to all my customers. The schlage is functional but not as good.
  • PRO
    Daher Interior Design
    11 years ago
    Emtek hands down. Stylist ally superior, quality great and you can customize by selecting handles is various finishes and rosette styles to complement.
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Angela, yes -- there is a huge difference in quality from various brands and models.
    In terms of quality and design, I prefer (Inox & Baldwin) over Emtek, over Schlage.
    The following Inox and Baldwin levers have a very solid feel:
    Inox Crescent 311 ( solid stainless steel ) --
    http://www.unisonhardware.com/css/images/cutsheets/311Crest.pdf
    Baldwin Reserve Tube Lever ( solid forged brass ) --
    http://www.baldwinhardware.com/Products/Details/door-hardware/levers/TUB-CRR-150.aspx
  • kyyee
    11 years ago
    I can agree about the wiggleness of the schlage but for us (was going to go with emtek) originally) the savings we achieved going big box model of schlage was worth it. It allowed us to divert the savings into other parts of the house. End of day, really depends on what your preference is?
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Kyyee, I agree -- it depends on your preference (and budget).
    Angela, Baldwin Miami handleset ( entrance door; solid forged brass ) --
    http://www.baldwinhardware.com/Products/Details/door-hardware/entrance/MIAXTUB-CRR-150.aspx
  • indianpatti
    11 years ago
    We just built a new home and I went with the lever styled handles ... wish I had gone with the round, knob style. I keep hooking my jackets on the levers! They do make modern styled knobs.
  • armygirl1987
    11 years ago
    I just repainted all the doors in the house but went with the store brand lever style but definitely will check them out when I redo the front door.
  • kyyee
    11 years ago
    Wish it didn't have to do with budget as the emtek and baldwins look pretty good when we were looking at them. Alas, budget reared its head !
  • PRO
    RL Morton & Associates, PC
    11 years ago
    I have used emtek numerous times and was never disappointed.
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Patti, we deliberately picked levers over round-knob styles because it feels much more efficient (less work) to turn a lever than a round knob, especially when the round knob is solid stainless steel. :) But I did seriously consider the cylindrical knobs, exactly like the photo you posted. :)
    P.S. I never hook my jackets on door knobs or levers! :) Maybe an umbrella, occasionally. :P
  • armygirl1987
    11 years ago
    I also have carpal tunnel syndrome and turning knobs is not good for me so I love the lever types.
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Angela, exactly. :)
  • armygirl1987
    11 years ago
    Ed, I found the local shop for my area. Thanks so much for your prompt response.
  • Ed
    11 years ago
    Angela, you're very welcome. More nice products, ask your local shop to show you all theirs :) -- Karcher Design
  • PRO
    Focal Point Hardware
    9 years ago
    Emtek knobs and levers are so well designed and great quality. We offer them with a 25% discount and ship all over the US and Canada

http://focalpointhardware.com/emtek-c-11_843.html
  • deadwest
    8 years ago

I put Emtek oil rubbed bronze handles on all of my interior and exterior doors. The finish began wearing off within 6 months - and I live alone.

• Diane Gallagher
    8 years ago

I can agree about the wiggleness of the schlage. I checked out the Emtek but sad that they will not warranty anything but the shiny finish.

• D DN
    8 years ago
    We switched all of our entire interior doors over to matching Schlage levers several months ago. We haven't had any problems with them. When you are talking about 20 or so doors over 4000 sq. feet, budget matters. Of course I use the term budget loosely as each set was $35 a piece. When it comes to the safety of our 3 exterior doors' hardware, that's where I would chose to spend big $$.
  • User
    8 years ago

I'm using Schlage Merano in brushed nickel and haven't had a problem since they were installed 16 months ago. No wiggle, nice weight and finish.

• Emily Andry
    7 years ago

I love the Schlage Matte Black Merano Lever. The F Series come with a limited lifetime mechanical and finish warranty, although we have never had to use it! I bought mine here and couldn't find any prices lower.

http://www.buyschlagenow.com/door-knob/schlage-merano-passage-lever/?sch_finish=622-matte-black

• Jenny Ayala
    7 years ago

What type of hardware would you recommend for interior doors? I was looking at ones with a single panel w privacy rather than just a knob

• Don Runnels
    7 years ago

I noticed a comment about the Oil Rubbed Bronze finish coming off. Unless the bronze plating is coming off of the brass sub straight then the finish is doing what it is supposed to do. True Oil Rubbed Bronze (US10B) will "highlight" where the product is touched and is the nature of the finish.

• PRO
    DuMar Construction
    7 years ago

Emtek was bought by another company and the quality has suffered. I had a problem with a pair of $300 entry locksets and the distributor would do nothing to back up the product. I used to sell quite a few Emteks but not anymore.

• midiweka
    6 years ago

What brand of knob do you suggest? I was ready to purchase Emtek.

• PRO
    New York Hardware
    6 years ago

@midiweka As the high-end door hardware experts in our area I would recommend you purchase Emtek over Schlage. Our customers are never disappointed when purchasing Emtek. If you have any additional questions please reach out to us and we would be more than happy to assist you.

New York Hardware

• biatricita61
    6 years ago

Has anyone noticed how the Schlage Latitude handles sag after a while? They were installed perfectly level, and now I notice instead of horizontal, they are sagging. These are Home Depot residential. Around $35-40. I am not impressed. Think I will look into these other Emtek, Inox, Baldwin.

I have Emtek knobs on my closet doors, but they were not designed to be put on doors so the screws were too short. The knobs are normally for kitchen or bath cabinets.

• logical7
    6 years ago

My cat can open doors with levers so I have to go knobs LOL

• kyyee
    6 years ago

Just a follow up with the Schlage latitide levers we installed that looks like it was almost five years ago from my post (time flies!). Maybe it's sheer luck but no problems at all and they are working more than fine. Plus the good thing is that I noticed that HD still carries them so if need be, so if one failed can easily swap just the one out. For whatever it is worth...

• eddie_t
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

We chose levers from the beginning. At that time only Amerock was readily available but they have stood the test of time. If your hands are wet or full use one finger or an elbow. I don't know about indoor handles but for entries Schlage is not what it used to be. I added a Schlage deadbolt keyed the same as other entry locks end it has a thin shell with a finish that is flaking off. My original Schlages were solid brass with no artificial finish.

• kyyee
    5 years ago

just a quick follow up. Our Schlage entrance pull (style like the pic Ed had posted in 2013) is starting to fail; the thumb press where you press down to engage the cylinder looks to have broken off inside so it's no longer solid (sooner or later will snap off if that makes sense). Now this was installed over six years ago and I just called Schlage. Its covered for lifetime warranty on finish and mechanical, and all they require is a pic of front and back, and they will send over a full replacement within one week if still stocked (which it is, since it's a latitude model); no receipt, no sending in the old one, etc. And if not, get this, they said they would have to have the factory make it but will take more like four weeks. Time will see if they can get it over to me as promised, but with service like this, and combined with the budget friendly initial cost point, I am going to continue to go with Schlage.

• kyyee
    5 years ago

short follow up... today I received a new and entire front handleset replacement. I also submitted a request as one passage set had the finish tarnished (used as a dummy on one patio door) and they also provided a brand new replacement set. All at no cost.

For a company to stand by its products like this, I can't recommend anything else other than Schlage at this point. I know other "higher level" brands offer the lifetime guarantee as well, but I am impressed enough with Schlage to remain a lifetime customer.

• Amy Hsiung
    2 years ago

We renovated our house 5 years ago. I had chosen Baldwin interior hardware for the interior doors. However, our contractor convinced me to go with Emtex. It looked the same and was significantly cheaper. He and his installer said they have always had a good experience with Emtex. The problem is that contractors and designers base their opinion on how easily they can order them (so as not to delay contruction timelines), ease of install, and how they look day one. In the first week, a dummy lever broke and has never been the same. It is on the interior of a closet door, so it has literally been hanging there for five years. Five years after our remodel, all of the pins that lock the bedrooms and bathrooms have fallen out and several have been lost (likely because guests don't realize they need to approach a standard door handle and lock with such delicacy). I am in the process of replacing all the interior hardware in our house. Homeowners, make sure you look at reviews from people who use the items.

• Anne Duke
    2 years ago

We used Schlage throughout the house 8 years ago. Have not had one problem. Every one works and the finish is pristine.