webuser_436400

Help with Living Room!

Jamie Brokus Fox
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

There are multiple issues here. The furniture is unfortunately non negotiable at this point. Navy blue wouldn't be my first choice, but it is what it is. I don't know how to arrange this living room. The french doors feel like they are awkward in taking up a wall. I'm wall hugging all the furniture and I know it, but I don't know what to do. I had a family tree wall with frames, so the tree decal needs to go. We got a new tv so it's now larger than the fire place which I also feel like looks bad. I can add other pieces of furniture but the couch and love seat pretty much have to stay. I might be able to eliminate the chair and do some sort of accent. I'm open to area rug, console tables, side tables, lamps, a new media center wall situation, plants, art, whatever could help here! It's just so awkward for me, and it's dark with all the oak. Painting is an option too. It used to be gray, but with the oak and carpet I felt like it made the room even darker yet. Maybe long flowy high curtain panels on each side of the french doors could help? I have a toddler...and a baby on the way so...we still need to be toddler friendly.

Comments (485)

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    That teal is rather pretty too Jamie.
  • Jen Osborne
    6 years ago

Love the rug!

• Related Discussions

I need help for Living room Design

Q

Comments (1)
    Can you send a clear pic .
    ...See More

Help for living room decor

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, I want to decorate my living room. all furniture in living room is made of rosewood which includes bench, coffee table and chest of drawers. I need help with color theme which goes well with dark rosewood furniture. wall color is white.
    ...See More

Need help with living room

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello, I painted the living room (5.30x5.30) using a beige and brown paint for the wall behind the sofa and beige for the others. My sofa is a white chester. I also have a dark brown armchair (if it's not good in the context, I can move it to another room). My dilemma is the TV unit wall that I will have to put for the opposite wall, what color should it be? White or another color? Help me to also choose a carpet, a table and what you consider beautiful or necessary to insert. I thank you in advance for your suggestions.
    ...See More

need help for living room

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello Abdul, the room is looking quite warm right now. You might want to think about bringing in some blue or green either on the wall or on the rug to balance it out and make it more harmonious. I would suggest a subtle texture paint with a greyish-blue hue instead of the beige(light pink) wall. If not you could also think about hanging a nice painting with such hues. And to compliment it would suggest a rope-weave rug, or a furry rug along the same bluish theme for two reasons, one it will bring some softness and some warmth (texture wise) to that cold flooring. and two, the furniture is all mostly straight lines, so it may loosen it up a bit. If possible I would suggest a green succulent on the coffee table to bring in some life and tie the whole look together.
    ...See More
  • northpoint2
    6 years ago

Honestly, I prefer your mockups with the ivory curtains, and I'm not a fan of the cornice. BUT, it should go without saying that you know what looks best to you!

• indomom
    6 years ago

Love the rug and the drapes. Just my opinion, but I think the cornice is distracting.

• Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The idea of another line...a long curtain rod...going through the middle of the wall has me caught up. I like Jens mockups but there's no curtain rod. There's just so much empty space above the window.

• northpoint2
    6 years ago

The cornice just looks really heavy, and frankly, dated (sorry!) I don't think you would notice "another line" once the rest of the room is done?

• Jen Osborne
    6 years ago

I am not convinced about the cornice either...

And I'm not even sure curtains would work because there is no space between the door and the window, and the window and the wall on the other side, so the curtains would have to permanently mask some of the windows, you will have to reach behind them to reach the light switch, and you can't have finials on the wall side.

But maybe none of that is an issue?

Or maybe a simple roman blind might be the solution, but how high should it go?!

You should start another thread to ask about this specific dilemma!

• christina405
    6 years ago

You might consider top-down/bottom-up blinds. Country Curtains has them at reasonable prices. I use them in bedroom and they are just what I needed.

• Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I do have to say...this window already has the mini blinds so this whole curtain dilemma is for looks only really. If I got a roman shade or whatever it is I don't need to actually use it. I guess the entire bare space above just bugs me. I'm hearing you all on the cornice. I'm not sure why I can't settle on something here. I'm ready to buy stuff. LOL. So here's another mock up..the best I could with that area rug. I like the to the ceiling curtain mock up Jen posted too. I like turquoise/aqua/teal with the navy. I really like that rug. I feel as though I'm going to freeze again because the rug locks me in to the colors of the rug for future right? I know some comments about function/furniture have come into play, but I feel like I need to settle on a color theme before I can do anything else. I keep considering the dining room as well. I feel as though the kitchen table really needs an area rug under it. I don't want the 2 competing with each other either. I really appreciate all of your ideas and sticking with me through this process. It's like it gets worse before it gets better. LOL. I can't quite tell the background color of that rug, but the linen drapes could hopefully match. I'm not sure if it's more beige/ivory or grayish. Do I find an area rug and play off that first? I was looking at jossandmain. Maybe I need something more neutral, or maybe I find one with less of a pattern for the dining room or vice versa?

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Jamie if you don't want to be locked in, go neutral in living room carpet. The one you have there has a few colors though. I like that with your sofas. Tape out the size you think you need.

• Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

111ideahound Ha, I have no idea what I want, clearly. I need some color and I'm not sure where to get it. I want a pattern somewhere, but curtains seem to not be the answer to that so I guess I've resorted to the rug. LOL. Maybe it should be the pillows instead. I really love that rug though. Ugh.

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

I think, even though you don't need the curtains, plain, don't go for a print. They do a lot to soften the room against the leather. I agree though, the little bits of turquoise, teal, perk it up in there too. Keep the rug, get a lamp of that pretty green/blue color and the exact pillows you have inserted.

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Get that turquoise color on your dining room table, maybe as seat cushions and art. I see the table now. Round right?

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

"In This Poignant" Mini Framed Canvas by Mincing Mockingbird · More Info

It's very easy today to find the perfect art by going on line or shop search for the exact turquoise and I think with a bit of yellow.

• Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I do love the rug. Of course it's pricey. LMAO. And I need to figure out what size. Seat cushions could work for dining room. Yes, the table is oval. I think that large window also needs curtains to soften it up in there. Things are so minimal, bare and bachelor in here right now. These could tie things together maybe? I kind of like that floral for some reason!

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago

Yes. Your post just came to me. I like those seat cushions you posted. The floral is perfect. Go no design on your pillows. Keep it serene. Let the carpet be the show stopper and art.

• northpoint2
    6 years ago

I say, buy the rug, since it both has color AND you love it. In terms of size, I would tape out 8x10 first to see how that works, then go from there!

• indomom
    6 years ago

I agree with northpoint. The rug is neutral enough that you could have very neutral pillows if you ever tire of the teal/greenish gold/navy combo. The cushions you posted for the dining area look perfect.

• christina405
    6 years ago

The floral seat cushion is classic! And the colors of the rug (at least on my screen) are perfect.

Jamie Brokus Fox thanked christina405
  • Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Alright ya'all. I think you've helped you make up my mind. Pull the trigger on the rug, right? If it doesn't work in the living room it should work in the dining room. I'll start with this big piece/purchase and go from there. I'm excited to get a base piece to build off.

• sherie2e
    6 years ago

Hello again Jamie.

I'm glad that you found a rug that you like. I think you will be able to pull colors out of it for some pillows and a lamp or two.

Search "drapery rod photos" in houzz and look at drapery arms. They are short rods used for decorative purposes only. Maybe they will make you more comfortable than having a long rod connect the two panels.

I agree with ideahound that a solid fabric, not a pattern for the drapes would achieve the more "grown up" look you would like to achieve.

if you end up liking the rug, find one for the dining spaces with complimentary colors, or even a solid. Maybe you could put stationary Roman shades in the dining space and use a pattern in there.

What are the dimensions of your dining room and of the oval table/chairs?

I'm looking forward to seeing pix of your photos on the tv wall and of the rug!

• northpoint2
    6 years ago

Yay! What size rug did you decide on?

• partim
    6 years ago

I like a patterned rug in a room where a family lives. It's more friendly to the wear and tear it will get. If you found something you like, go for it. Be sure it is the right size. Will it "walk" on your carpet? I've never used a rug on a carpet.

So am I correct that since you already have blinds on the LR window, the curtains you're proposing are just for appearance? So they could be just a tailored valance? A tailored valance is attractive and would leave your light switches accessible, with no problem of the lack of space to put drapery on the left side. What is the height of your room, and the height from the top of the molding to the ceiling?

Something like this but just the valance, not the drapes.

Family room · More Info

Or they can be pleated crosswise instead, like this Roman shade style.

Contemporary Bathroom · More Info

You can subtly trim them to add a bit of style and tie the color to something else in the room.

Smith · More Info

Contemporary Suburban Townhouse · More Info

Whatever you do on the living room, do the same valance on the sliding glass door.

• Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

So I went and got the chair cushions today....I'm not so sure they work on these chairs?? I haven't ordered the rug yet...I keep stalling for a good coupon...it's from world market and $699. I wish I could see it in the store before I ordered it. I'm still pondering that one and if I love it that much. I think I do? I love partim's curtain ideas.

I was loving this look...this rug under the table but now I'm second guessing all of it. Or maybe I need new chairs...less bulky chairs maybe?

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    I love those cushions Jamie but they are a bit big for your chairs ..:(
  • 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    Can you photo the chairs further back?
  • Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

111ideahound I know.:( AHHH! I kinda don't mind our chairs...they are heavy so it's hard for a kiddo to flip them over and they are pretty secure with the little arms. You mean a farther away photo of the thing as a whole? I only put on one cushion so far to see how it looked/fit. I thought width would be an issue...didn't think they would hang off the front.:( Boooo!!!

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    Yeah hanging off front is not good.:(
  • Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

111ideahound so what do I do now?? new chairs? Pull a subtle print for curtains instead? I'm so bummed.

• partim
    6 years ago

I like your chairs. They look solid and very comfortable with their rounded back, low arms and bottom-shaped carved seat. I wouldn't put cushions on them because it would cover the carved seat.

Glad you like the valances. The nice thing is that they can be hung on a curtain rod, and you don't need to build a wood valance box. Choose a curtain rod with a return (i.e. with ends that curve towards the wall). The valance is just a flat piece of fabric with a top hem to go over the rod. Use a heavier fabric, maybe even upholstery weight, so it hangs well. It doesn't take much fabric because it isn't gathered. I'd choose a fabric in a solid color similar to your wall color, but with lots of nubbly texture. Might even look good to dress the kitchen window.

Once you have a lot of pattern coming from the rug, you won't feel the need to add as much pattern elsewhere in pillows or curtains. It will really look different with a patterned rug and I think you should get that in place before you buy any other patterned items.

• partim
    6 years ago

World Market does have 15% off now and free shipping for over $150.

Some people order a small rug as a "test".

• Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

partim that's a good idea to just order the smallest size rug! I want to be sure that color is actually navy and not a purple shade. LOL. Just ordered it! Good idea! So you don't think a "valance" is a lame idea? I like the ones you posted. I like actually creating the illusion that the window is higher than it really it. People can obviously tell you are just trying to make your window higher when you do the rod with the panels in this case. I can hang the valance higher so no one really knows how tall the window really is...that was my thought anyway. And yes, I agree with your fabric idea of being neutral/heavy and textured.

• 111ideahound
    6 years ago
    I agree about the chairs and cushions. Get a nice centerpiece to pull that teal color in dining room.
  • partim
    6 years ago

You're right, like all draperies, valances can fool the eye and improve the balance of how a window looks on a wall. You'll probably want to take a flat-on view of the whole wall, then use a computer program like Paint to see what proportion looks best. Or just print photos of the room on 8X11 paper, and draw a few options until you find one you like.

Valances are a good option for some design challenges. You can use them alone, or with drapes too.

I'm old enough that I sewed a few balloon valances when they were in style. I used wide pocket valance rods, but not sure you need the wide ones if you are not gathering the fabric on the rod.

• kcccrn *
    6 years ago
    @artiesmama on 4/3 you posted some rugs. Where can I find the blue and orange rug just above the one you ordered for your family room?
  • leelee
    6 years ago

The cornice that hubby will build is overwhelming to your room. A room like yours which is casual and family friendly doesn't need a cornice. Too formal. It doesn't work with the furniture.

• leelee
    6 years ago

What did you decide for a coffee table?

Be very careful with a rug over carpet. They will crawl and then if you have a heavy coffee table it will be harder to straighten the rug.

I wonder if your space looks empty because you don't have a coffee table? Get the coffee table before the rug so you can decide if you even need a rug.

Don't go for a heavy, chunky table. Your furniture is already heavy. Consider one with legs to lighten the room. Also, you are pretty well maxed out on white furniture. It will stop looking interesting and start looking overdone with more.

Love this one

or this type of table.

• leelee
    6 years ago

Substantial but not overly dense.

• leelee
    6 years ago

Think about painting the trim just around the door white. Since the walls are white and the door is white that outline of wood trim seems out of place. Try it on PS first and see what you think.

• User
    6 years ago

@leelee, so take real wood and make it look like cheap garbage by slapping paint on it?

• NancyD
    6 years ago
    Or, rather than painting the trim white so it matches the door, how about painting the door to match the trim? Faux painting--maybe by your fabulous MIL--could help the door to match all the other woodwork in your rooms. I see you have a similar door on the opposite side of the living room, so I know it would be quite expensive to replace both doors. Just a thought. Your rooms are really coming together nicely.
  • partim
    6 years ago

How about painting the door a darker color so there is less contrast with the door frames? A muted blue, not too dark or light?

The valance will hide the top wood on the window.

• Jamie Brokus Fox
    Original Author
    6 years ago

leelee there was a long thread going on the coffee table last week. I choose the first one you had in your photo but no one else is liking it. I do have a coffee table. it's the current coffee table. partim I like the idea of painting the door a pale color of what is going in the room. It's never been painted. I just haven't made it that far. The rug is supposed to come this week...the smallest size so I think I will be able to determine more after that.

• northpoint2
    6 years ago

I'll be interested to see if your rug moves, once it's in place underneath your massive furniture. Personally, I've layered rugs many times and have never had that issue?

• sherie2e
    6 years ago

Hi Jamie - Just checking in....Has the rug sample arrived?

• Jen Osborne
    6 years ago

Any update?!

• Jazz Vd
    6 years ago
    New table new bank And there is to much stuff in the floor
  • lostinreno
    6 years ago

Hello?!

• Jen Osborne
    6 years ago

• NancyD
    6 years ago
    Will your rooms be all done for the holidays? Think everyone would like to know how you’re doing.