tjamalloy

Quartz help...MSI Calacatta Verona

Joy M
7 years ago
MSI Calacatta Verona quartz? Anyone have that? Trying to find installed pictures of this quartz for a kitchen... thanks in advance

Comments (218)

• Trina Taylor
    4 years ago

I have Botanica. Will post some updated pictures today.

• Trina Taylor
    4 years ago

Calacatta Botanica White Quartz from MSI. Probably not the best "instagram-worthy" photos, but I hope they help. (Taken with my phone in natural lighting.) Timeless, clean, and have just the right amount of veining. They are bright white, so keep that in mind when choosing the cabinet color they'll sit upon. We've had these a little less than a year and I am very happy with them.

• Trina Taylor
    4 years ago

@ Lisa Holliday, I think light gray cabinets with Botanica would be perfect. In fact, I am planning to paint my lowers light gray eventually, too.

• Beverly Shatzen
    4 years ago

@Diane Sacchetti I absolutely love the look of my Verona and it looks great with my white cabinets. I have gotten tons of compliments on them. But... I do have to "baby" them and they are not shiny like granite and quartz overall does not really shine after a while because it is a plastic thus the inability to put things on them that are hotter than 400 degrees. I get stains on them over the littlest things like a drip of wine and that requires a Mr. Clean sponge pad to get it off. It may be that my Verona was the China kind because I also have MCI Classique in my powder room and wet bar in the basement and it shines and looks stronger that my Verona but does not get the same wear and tear so ??? I will get granite next time just because I could abuse my granite and not think twice about what I put on it. But the look of my quartz is gorgeous! Sorry to give you negative reviews but might just be this slab, too! Good luck. It's such a hard decision.

• Alyssa M
    4 years ago

@Trina Taylor what color are your cabinets?

• Trina Taylor
    4 years ago

@Alyssa M they are alabaster white. A little creamier than my Botanica counters, which is my only regret, and the reason I want to paint my lowers light gray eventually.

• Diane Sacchetti
    4 years ago

Beverly Shatzen, thank you for your honestly. That makes me a little hesitant. One of the reasons I was looking at this product is that I like the shininess of it in the showroom and in some of the photos on this feed. Can I ask how long you’ve had your Verona? And do you think it’s become less shiny overtime? I’m also concerned that you have to baby them. Do you have any photos you can share? Thanks again!

• C Oc
    4 years ago

Domonique Reid Are these countertops a lot less white than your cabinets? In some pictures the tops look like a grayish background.

• HU-777718695
    4 years ago

Im looking at Verona and Venice and i cant decide for our island. My cabinets are a creamer white. And we are doing Steel Gray honed granite on the outer cabinets. Two tone because my husband loved the granite. Anyone have pictures of two tone with the quartz.

• emlouhall
    4 years ago

@Diane and others...have had Verona for about two years now, still looks great, is not super glossy, so you do see smudge marks from certain angles but I think it wears well, you just can't ever seem to get it to sparkle after cleaning-but I love it regardless. I have had one or two chips on the edge from a glass bottle hitting or a pan, so they're not indestructible...no issues with hot temp items setting on it. Here are a few pics from when they first went in, and pics from recently...I went with a brighter white option because I wanted the cabinets to look crisp and not creamy, so not a custom white (alright everything else was custom BM, love that paint). We did end up with a random dark mark like others have mentioned, but it's small
    And not bothersome, after a remodel you learn to deal with the imperfections (as a very picky person with an annoying eye for detail, I've learned you can only control so much). Honestly, I think what matters most is your fabricator...who cuts the templates. I had a very specific look and he let me lay the templates on the slabs exactly where I wanted them, it would have been a nightmare with a poor or lazy fabricator...so do you research on who actually does the cutting and install! Hope this helps!

• Diane Sacchetti
    4 years ago

emlouhall, thank you so much for your response and all the detail. Your kitchen is beautiful!! I am leaning toward crisp white cabinets as well and I know another person who has the Verona countertop with cabinets that are BM Simply White and it looks great. I have heard the same about quartz chipping which worries me a bit. It's always the firsts that are upsetting but you do get over it. I have marble in my bathroom and over time it has gotten dull and etched and as much as I love marble I would not use it again. I really like that you used the Verona for your backsplash too, it looks great! Did you have a cutting board made as well? I see something square next to the oven and knife block. Thanks again, the information you provided was very helpful!

• Alyssa M
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@Diane Sacchetti we painted our cabinets BM simply white and have MSI laza quartz

• Diane Sacchetti
    4 years ago

Alyssa M, It looks beautiful! I’ve seen the Laza at MSI but not installed. Love the brightness of BM Simply White! How long ago did you remodel and how is it holding up? What did you use for a backsplash? Thanks for sharing you beautiful kitchen!

• Alyssa M
    4 years ago

@Diane Sacchetti thank you! We just finished a couple weeks ago. We painted BM simply white throughout our entire house, all woodwork, walls and ceiling, all different sheens...I love it! I agonized over finding the perfect white and choosing between Verona and laza quartz....laza and simply white and very close in color, in the slab yard laza looked bright white next to Verona but none of their quartz has a true white background...they are all creamy/gray background....laza reads more white overall which is what we were going for. They have cleaned up pretty easily so far but the background IS cloudier than other brands, but also half the price of Caesarstone or Cambria (at least in our area). Oh, we also paid a little extra to get 3cm slabs...which meant our fabricator didn’t have to patchwork any veining...it was worth the extra cost for me. Our backsplash is called Rickert and the color is country blanco (an off white). It’s handmade but the edges are straight...I’m super picky and wanted it to reflect a lot of light but not look messy or too rustic! A couple more pics of simply White and our backsplash!

• Diane Sacchetti
    4 years ago

@Alyssa M Your kitchen is coming along beautifully! You did a great job picking out everything! The backsplash is really nice too. It looks white but I know you mentioned that it's off white which seems to match the countertop really nicely. When I saw the Laza slab at MSI, I was a little concerned that the lines it it were a bit to strong compared to the Verona but in your kitchen it looks great! My dining room furniture is Country French, a medium brown toned stain so I feel like I can't go to transitional, I have to keep it a little bit softer, does that make sense? And I already purchased the Darlana Pendants for the island in Gilded Iron...I want to go with a mixed metal look. I purchased them a little premature but I got a really good deal on them. Have you picked your counter stools yet? And how big is your Island? Thanks for sharing the photos of your beautiful kitchen!

• Diane Sacchetti
    4 years ago

@Alyssa M Were these existing cabinets and you painted them? You mentioned you painted them BM simply white. Do you know who makes them?

• Alyssa M
    4 years ago

@Diane Sacchetti makes sense! Verona is beautiful and like you said the veining is a little more subtle than laza. We have a lot of black accents, i chose black lanterns for pendants above the island and we did all black doorknobs. I chose light wood chairs for our breakfast nook so I think I’ll get counter stools in the same shade of wood. Our island is 6 ft by 3 ft. We had A carpenter build is custom cabinets and then had them sprayed after they were installed. Our kitchen is actually pretty small and the cabinets available at big box stores just did not work with the space! Here’s a messy kitchen picture to show our lanterns and chairs! We still need to install the panel on our dishwasher ;) ugh never ending remodel haha

• Connie McDowell Winkle
    4 years ago

@Trina Taylor i also have the same counters as you with white shaker cabinets. My counters look like a creamy, milky white next to my white cabinets. I’m having trouble deciding on a backsplash to go with it. Pure white tile looks too bright next to it.

@Trina Taylor your counters look like they having more veining than mine you can’t see mine from a distance.

• emlouhall
    4 years ago

@Angie May Connor I can't remember the paint color for the cabinets, we did not do custom paint, since I wanted bright white, we went with the stock paint option of cabinet maker (there was a creamy white and white white, it think it was called ice white maybe, and it looked good with the counter samples, I wasn't picky at that point I just knew I wanted a true white and turned out looking great). I do think custom paint gives the cabinets a more quality feel to the touch, different finish maybe? TO anyone trying to figure out a white paint to go with these counters I would go with a true white like BM Chantilly Lace or Simply white. For walls in the kitchen we used BM pale oak and I LOVE it, I wanted something clean and light but knew that there would already be a lot of white...so this was a subtle but clean color, it pulls out the browns/grays in the counter but doesn't overpower anything. For anyone looking for a warm creamy white, BM Swiss Coffee is lovely, we used that for our living room and I love it...I was worried it was going to be too yellow at first (some designers suggest using it at 75% color strength) but it turned out great.

@Diane Sacchetti We didn't have a cutting board made, that's actually a waterfall edged custom wrap they had to do because our main water line is right there in the kitchen, the original layout was the only option for the room and building the cabinets out further ate up too much space-so we had to make do. It had always been there and couldn't be moved so we just did our best to hide it....oh the fun solutions to remodeling old homes and having limited floor plan options :)

For those worried about chipping, I'll try and post a few pictures of the chips we have. I knew right away when I did them, came down too hard with a bottle or miss calculated where the edge was, that type of thing...they were hard hits, with hard objects, right at the edge...I haven't had any chips on the tops though!

• Trina Taylor
    4 years ago

@Connie McDowell Winkle That's interesting that we have the opposite problem with the same counters. It comes down to the paint color on the cabinets. I believe that my cabinets are SW Alabaster, which is a creamy white. (We bought the house with the kitchen cabinets already updated.) Pairing different white materials in an all-white kitchen is a real challenge!! Can be stressful. I ended up doing a simple subway tile with a light gray grout. Did the best I could to pick a tile that had similar coloring as my counters. While I obsessed about it during the project, it all worked out in the end. It all blends together, especially once you add your accessories and dirty dishes, ha ha. I would suggest that you pick a backsplash that is simple and reflects some light. OR a faux white brick tile. I love that look and definitely considered it. I hope you are happy with your counters, I love mine! No regrets.

• Diane Sacchetti
    4 years ago

@Alyssa MYour kitchen looks great! And I like your pendants. I love black too but decided to go with the gilded iron. Your pendants look like mine, are they the Darlana Pendants by Visual Comfort? Also, my island is going to be the same size as yours, 6' x 3'. Originally we were thinking 7 x 3 but I'm afraid it might be too big for my kitchen which is not that big. I've also noticed that the Laza samples I have have some brown in them. Do your counters have brown in them as well? If so, is there a lot of it? Given that my dining room furniture is a medium brown tone, it might go better with it since we are opening up the wall between the two rooms.

Hang in there, you are almost done! I am planning to panel my dishwasher as well but don't think I am going to panel the refrigerator.

• Alyssa M
    4 years ago

@Diane Sacchetti those Pendants are gorgeous! Mine must be the knock off from Wayfair ;) I am very happy with the 6x3 island size in our small kitchen. At first I felt it could have been bigger but now that we are using the kitchen, I love have larger walkways in front of the range and sink. We did a regular kitchenaid refrigerator and then the panel dishwasher. In regards to brown in the Laza quartz....there is hint of brown on the very outer edge of the veining but it is extremely subtle and not noticeable unless you are looking for it or inspecting the veining. At least I’m my slabs! I forgot to mention I did go to the slab yard and look at multiple bundles of slabs to find the print I liked (which was one with the least busy veining and the ”whitest” background.) At our slab yard they have 7 or 8 slabs in each bundle and those all have the same section of pattern screen printed on them....so I looked at one slab from 3 different bundles and picked the veining pattern preferred and then picked two specific slabs from that bundle and purchased them. Sounds high maintenance but they didn’t seem to mind too much! :) I just didn’t want to be surprised ordering slabs based on the sample slab in the showroom portion of the yard because they actually varied quite a bit, even though they told me they would all be the same!!! It all depends on what section of the pattern is printed onto each bundle of slabs. I would recommend this process if you’re able do it!

i think Verona will be a great choice for you if you prefer lighter veining color! which way are you leaning on cabinet color? Are you ordering them painted already or choosing a paint color?

• HU-777718695
    4 years ago

@Alyssa M ...Looks great!! Love the black accents with the white kitchen. Did you use the 2CM for 3CM? ...also I noticed in your picture you used an extra Faucet for filtered water. We are also thinking of doing that. Can I ask you what is the brand of your Faucet and and what brand filter are you using and are you happy with it.

• Alyssa M
    4 years ago

@HU-777718695 thank you! We went with 3cm and I’m glad we did. Our friends also chose Laza but used 2cm and while the fabricator did a pretty good job on patchworking the veining, it wasn’t seamless. I’m very picky though! Our faucets are Newport Brass and I found them on amazon for much less than my local plumbing store! The style is called Jacobean. The RO system was installed by a local company, I’ll check to see if there is a name on it...but RO water tastes amazing and having it at the sink is SO convenient.

• emlouhall
    4 years ago

Go with 3cm!!!

• Diane Sacchetti
    4 years ago

@Alyssa M Wow, you really did you homework! Great suggestions regarding the 3 CM and checking out the slabs. And I don't blame you for being picky, you are spending a LOT of money on a kitchen remodel and it should be the way you want it. I like both the Verona and Laza and haven't made a final decision yet. I had been planning on going with cabinets that are simply white which are painted by the manufacturer. I have Jenn-Air appliances on hold however I recently fell in love with the Hallman and the Ilve ranges. I like the stainless and brass and the stainless and chrome but I see mixed reviews and long wait times on the Hallman and I haven't looked into the Ilve ranges as of yet. I was always drawn to the La Cornue and Lacanache ovens but they are so expensive!!

• Connie McDowell Winkle
    4 years ago

@trina Taylor here’s our finished backsplash.

• Ashley Phillips
    3 years ago

@Alyssa M your kitchen is The goal! could you please tell me what you thought of the laza By msi ? sample seems very brown veins But doesn’t look it at all in photo With your white cabinets it looks like a great match in person. it looks very creamy on sample I saw :( also, are you cabinets wide rail or standard cabinets?

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

@Ashley Phillips we love Laza in our kitchen! Our kitchen definitely reads “white” overall! I’ve attached a couple photos I just took, my kitchen has low light at this time of day and I kept lights off to try to give a real idea of what it looks like. I don’t think any MSI quartz are going to have a true white background but Laza is more white than some of their popular choices like Verona. The veining is gray to me with tiny bit of brown on the very edge, but not noticeable unless you’re looking closely. Our cabinets are “simply white” by Benjamin moore so not a bright white...more of a warm white. i Mentioned this in another comment but we did pick out our individual slabs...I specifically looked for the “whitest” ones...maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me but i felt like it varied! the sample we were given also looked very cream. I don’t know what wide rail cabinets are....we had them custom built by a local carpenter because our kitchen is fairly small and it was tricky to go prefab. I can measure one if that would help!

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

• Ashley Phillips
    3 years ago

@Alyssa M i apologize ! I just saw the other comment that was a similar question haha I’m going crazy! Thank you so much for photos. I really hope I can find bigger slabs so I can see in person first like you have done! so with cabinets everyone has asked me if I wanted wide rail or standard rail around the cabinet. So just the thickness of the outter layer around the cabinet. These are just samples of island color I’m choosing. But you can see it’s thicker around then the dark navy one

• Ashley Phillips
    3 years ago

@Alyssa M i think yours are standard rail which look very nice ! So I might save the extras and get the standard Bc they look beautiful !

• Ashley Phillips
    3 years ago

@Alyssa M and now that I’m on a roll here with questions .. where is your farm sink from ? I’m looking for that too haha

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

@Ashley Phillips oooh yes I agree, ours look like standard. I ordered the Bocchi Classico Farmhouse Apron sink from Home Depot. I love it!!! its affordable and I’m not an expert on farmhouse sinks but I have NO complaints. I like that it isn’t stark white and it comes with the bottom grid which i love and leave in all the time, it helps protect against setting dishes in too hard and also

keeps the sponges elevated off the sink so they can actually dry out!

• HU-777718695
    3 years ago

Hi, I absolutelly Kitchen. Can you tell me what are the dimensions of your backsplash. And if possible where you got it. I like that its not flat plain sheen. Thank you!

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

@HU-777718695 I think your comment is for me since you liked my other posts, maybe the tag was deleted! My backsplash tile is 2.5x8. Its by Rickert Tile and is called Equipe, the color is country blanco. Its handmade so it reflects a lot of light but the edges are straight so it doesn’t look overly rustic like some other handmade tiles

• Lori Kamback
    3 years ago

Alyssa, love love the backsplash!! I want the same look! Where did u purchase the rickert tile? I’m in ny and can’t seem to find it anywhere.

• Lori Kamback
    3 years ago

Thank you! Do you live in Spain? I can’t seem to order directly from their site, maybe bc I’m in New York and it comes from Spain?

• milleres23
    3 years ago

@Alyssa M Your kitchen is beautiful! Is your hardware chrome or polished nickel?

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

@milleres23 its chrome! I went back and forth but went with chrome. We used polished nickel in our bathrooms upstairs and while I love the finish, it does show every water spot! The kitchen hardware is Emtek, the style is Westwood and I found them on amazon. Emtek chrome seems to be kinda muted, not super shiny silver.

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

@Lori Kamback i was able to order it from a local tile store that carried many brands. I would call around to a couple local places and see if they can get it for you. They came to our house and measured and then ordered the amount we needed. It does come in several sizes so just make sure they order the correct size you want. Ours is 2.5x8.

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

@Lori Kamback and we are in TX!

• Sean Sullivan
    3 years ago

@Alyssa M we are about to get Verona countertops and paint our cabinets BM simply white as well! What color walls do you have in the surrounding areas? another white or did you pick a complementing color?

• Alyssa M
    3 years ago

@Sean Sullivan our countertops are actually “Laza”, a bit more white than Verona but it was a tough choice. Both look great with BM Simply White and Verona veining is more subtle. We painted our entire home simply white, just different sheens! Satin on woodwork, flat on ceilings and semi-gloss on the walls. We love it, we have wood floors, different color wood dining chairs, a jute rug, linen sofas and plan to get woven wood roman shades next Year to add texture and warmth to the space.

• Siobhan Desrochers
    2 years ago

Sean Sullivan we just ordered Verona and thinking Simply White for our cabinets. Do you have any pictures of yours?

• doreenr
    2 years ago

Hi Alyssa! Your kitchen is beautiful, and your posts have been so helpful! Could you share the make of your oven, please?

• sa35
    2 years ago

@emlouhall, gorgeous kitchen! Where is your range hood from? Is it stainless steel? Thanks!

• Lorena Coo
    2 years ago

Your floors are beautiful! Do you happen to know the brand and color? Thanks!