michael_bradstreet

Please critique my design

Just wondering if all is OK. I am thinking about changing the coffee table and the pictures. I feel the pictures are too small and my wife does not like the coffee table. Is the TV at the right height? Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Comments (48)

• Mary Hemer_Majewski
    7 years ago
    Hard to tell from the pictures. My main issue is how close the sofa is to the window seat. I don't have a big problem with the coffee table. The pictures maybe too small (?) but the photos aren't clear on that. Could not figure out the tv.
    Michael Bradstreet thanked Mary Hemer_Majewski
  • molliepups
    7 years ago

I would agree that the pictures are too small. A larger picture over the couch, maybe one that is horizontal, would work better. The coffee table looks a little bulky but its ok. What are you looking for on the TV? I recessed mine into the wall (and put a frame around it) which frees up all kinds of space and has reduced clutter. I live in a small house so it really helps. And its clean looking so I recommend that approach if its doable.

Michael Bradstreet thanked molliepups
  • Related Discussions

This is my home design layout My home layout

Q

Comments (19)
    Basically what i can understand now is priority is given only for vastu and other aspects of the design has been forgotten. My opinion would be redesigning the spaces along with vastu integration . A single idea of modification would not be feasible here. Please consider setbacks and other utility areas needed outside the residence as well ,for services integration. Thanks
    ...See More

please Design my home floor plan

Q

Comments (4)
    Best to consult an architect as I have said. Plot is a bit small to fit all your requirements in a single floor.
    ...See More

Please review my staircase design

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Anshul The staircase seems fine, not sure about the clear height you get though. Here are a few tips to make it look spacious: 1. Go for lighter colours for stone flooring and walls 2. Add mirrors for wall decor. 3. The central atrium formed, suspend a lighting fixture or sculpture. For any further discussion, feel free to contact us. Best, The Lazy Owl Designs
    ...See More

i am looking for design ideas for my drawing room

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello there, You need to make the query more relevant by adding current floor plan and furniture layout. Queries like these tend to be very casual and open-ended. On another note, why have you put lighting scheme in corners only? And what about the blue chandelier? Please mention the wattage and lumens of recessed lights. Your hall is too dimly lit in the daytime, maybe due to the sheer curtains or something. Please share a night view too. Regards, Aurum Ideas and Spaces Bhubaneswar
    ...See More
  • Nicole
    7 years ago

Agreed. Pull the sofa away from the window seat, add some other colors with throw pillows and an area rug.

Michael Bradstreet thanked Nicole
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Just not a lot of room. If I move the sofa back it would be in the hallway.

• Nicole
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I can't tell from the pictures but it looks like a pretty open space, can you fave the sofa toward the window seat/across from it?

• Nicole
    7 years ago

Face

• chloebud
    7 years ago

Yes...the pictures are too small and too high.

• Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The Tv stand to the wall behind the sofa is only about 8 ft. If i put the sofa accros from the wall it would block a door. Not a lot of space.

• Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My wife wants a new coffee table. What color would you recommend. Round is OK too.

• smitrovich
    7 years ago

Pictures above the sofa are too small, but you could all additional art/photos to create a gallery wall there. Or replace with something larger. Also, the tiebacks on the drapes make the window treatments look dated, so I would remove those.

Michael Bradstreet thanked smitrovich
  • laurkade
    7 years ago
    Pull the sofa down so it is flush with hall wall. This way you can add a slim floor lamp between sofa and window seat. Pictures are too small for over sofa. Horizontal art would look better. (Target, World Market, Pier One, Marshall's, TJ Max) Need pillows that add color and tie in with what is in room. You could possibly try two pillows with circles from window seat on sofa. Find solid pillows from pillows with circles for window seat. As suggested previously, untie drapes and declutter TV stand. Perhaps move receiver and other item (cable box?) under TV on top of table so blue wire is not stretched across TV stand. Find something similar to boxes already in cubicles under TV for two empty slots. Put stuffed animals in one of boxes underneath TV. White framed pictures can be hung in hallway vertically (one under the other) or place some of books/magazines horizontally and place on top of books. Find a tall vase from colors in pillows, artwork or rug and place in corner by TV. I like the idea of a small round coffee table or 2 round stools as a coffee table.
  • jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    Wall to wall, floor to ceiling lined drapes for the window.
  • jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    Lamps and art will help.
  • jbtanyderi
    7 years ago
    As the brick is exceptionally dark, you have to work to keep lightness. Add white shutters to both windows. Do some foundation planting. Forget about what colour's "in": the overall impression of YOUR house is what counts.
  • PRO
    Michael Bradstreet thanked ReStyle Home Staging, LLC
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, I have the problem where I am in Taipei and my wife wants to bring her family over and she needs a big coffee table. They all sit around the coffee table and eat various dishes. I thought

she was going out to get a small table and she came back with a bigger table. I did get her to remove the odd things from the TV area. I sent up some more pictures. Room is really 8ft x 9ft. Property is really expensive in Taipei:(

• Kris Mays
    7 years ago

Yes, pull the sofa away from window seat as much as is possible. Pictures, there need to be more or bigger and should be hung much lower. Enjoy!

Michael Bradstreet thanked Kris Mays
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I try, but my wife keeps pushing it back:) She usually ties up the drapes too. The sofa might be a tad too big. I can't replace it as it was a gift.

• Diane
    7 years ago
    I would move the pictures to the window seat area hanging one above the other. A coffee table that will accommodate look pillows or soft ottomans that you could sit on, or a fabric ottoman that you could put a large tray on.
  • PRO
    ReStyle Home Staging, LLC
    7 years ago

I like the new table!

Michael Bradstreet thanked ReStyle Home Staging, LLC
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I will get a new picture soon. I looked around today but saw nothing I liked. I will search again tomorrow. Waiting for the right piece.

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

The pictures are fine; they just need to be lowered and moved closer together. The curtains look sloppy. I'd replace them with shades. I like the table your wife chose. You could use a rug, possibly square, to sit under it. In this case I'd probably leave a border of floor all around the rug instead of setting the sofa on it.

• Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I think the curtains look sloppy too. I came home one day and they were on. (not a fan) I could pick up a small rug. Not sure what color would match. I believe my wife bought more pillows. I will take a picture tomorrow with the new pillows. ( I believe a they are a beige color.) I want to thank you all for the help....:)

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

yes, simplify, dont add more, move the pictures, love the seagrass, somehow expands the room. take out the "fluff" looks great. a rug will really help. possibly some floor pillows?

• PRO
    ReStyle Home Staging, LLC
    7 years ago

That rug posted by groveraxle is a great choice! Look for something with similar colors as it really warms up the space and then choose 1 or two colors from the rug you find to use in throw pillows. Also love the woven shade versus the curtains. Brings a lot of texture into the room and opens up the small space. I think you've got some great advice!

• leelee
    7 years ago

Matchstick shades would be far better than curtains. Ha, just saw matchstick already offered. So you've heard it twice.

TV is good height.

• groveraxle
    7 years ago

I forgot to add this earlier. This is from a store in Taipei. They had a number of pretty cool rugs that would work.

新月手工波斯地毯 - Hilal Persian Rugs Gallery · More Info

Michael Bradstreet thanked groveraxle
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I need to stay with the curtains. My wife would through herself if I took them down. She also doesn't want a rug. She does Yoga in front of the TV. She wanted a table she can move. I love all the suggestions, but since I live in a world that doesn't include only me, I will have to go with curtains and no rug. I will get a new picture when the time is right. Thanks for all the help.

• Dawn Y
    7 years ago
    Bummer you can't make the suggested changes. What can you change?
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I can change the pictures and add pillows.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

can you have her sew or shorten the curtains so they fit the window correctly... that will help. then lets move the smaller art to new walls and get something with some pop over the sofa.

Michael Bradstreet thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago

All items from IKEA. White Round table, area rug in either green or grey, button rug for wall, new colorful pillows. Paint the wall behind the TV to a contrasting accent color.

Michael Bradstreet thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago

My wife went out and bought a picture. What do you think? I have some beige curtains I can switch with another room or would you suggest a different color. I can also change the pillows covers. I can change the cushion on the window seat but only as a last resort as it would be expensive. All door in the house are dark brown. Tv wall is a different color. most of the house is white. Less is better for me. Right now it looks cluttered to me. Not sure how to fix it.

• Dawn Y
    7 years ago
    Nice art but not much pop. Blinds as posted but groveraxle would look much nicer, cleaner and less cluttered.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago
    I like the art.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    7 years ago
    You need some type of lamp/s instead of overhead light.
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Is the curtain color Ok
    ? Ican change the pad color too..
  • Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Where and what type of lamps would work?
  • groveraxle
    7 years ago

I like the first art you had better. They add just the amount of color you need. The new art is pretty blah, IMO.

• Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    My wife wants that tranquility after being in the big city all day. Happy wife is a happy life. Are the curtains Ok, other than the length. I will adjust the length if the color is ok.. I do agree, i feel the room needs some pop.
  • PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

you added brown tones to a gray pallet, not much else. I agree I like the old art. and less is more on the window. the simple fabric color is fine, but this is why subtle hits of color are needed. I dont mind the space. I get it, there is not a lot so being cohesive is good. here are some ideas, just thoughts, you need some plants, some texture, and a little color. this is all ikea.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

• Lala
    7 years ago

I'd say fluffy area rug under the coffee table. The large painting is nice. I might also consider adding some textile color pops here and there. Not so much pattern but rather texture and color. Maybe even consider putting a fluffy or colorful fabric on the length of the TV table.

(You posted two pictures 6 hours ago, Those were the best in my opinion. The only thing that bugs me is the Tv table, hence fabric idea)

• galnoir
    7 years ago

I think a box pleated cushion, like the Rohini daybed cushion from Urban Outfitters, would look great on the window seat. Judging by the colours you and your wife have chosen already, I would stick with earth tones. I cannot make out the exact frame around the window seat; is it possible to hang curtains on the outside of the window seat? That might be a little less cluttered for you.

• PRO
    Lenore Frances Home Interiors
    7 years ago

Maybe add sconces to your TV wall for additional lighting? The image is from our design portfolio.

Lakeshore Dr. Residence, Hammonton, NJ 08037 · More Info

• Michael Bradstreet
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I will add more pics later as my wife added some glowing salt rocks. Not sure what to make of them. They are quite big.