eabw2010

My Living Room is A for AWFUL!

Britt
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello! I would like help w/ my living room. I was thinking it would be nice to have photos on either side of the fireplace. Also was thinking that if I mount the tv over the fireplace I could get shelves or cabinets on either side to make better use of the space? Do you think that the couch should be moved and a new rug? - I definitely would like to get two new arm chairs... Basically burn the room and start over ;)

Comments (137)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

cheaper to take it to get restuffed/upholstered...

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

it's really cheap in quality... the arms and legs are completely different styles. I bought it from a thrift store almost 9yrs ago.

• Related Discussions

Need help with furnishing and decoration of my living room

Q

Comments (2)
    Hi Raghvendra! What I understand is that you require ideas for cushions and also for the wall. First of all, decide on the theme which you are going for.....modern...European....etc. Your furniture looks a mix of the two. As such a full view of the room would help one to decide on the best combination. Also the furniture material esp sofa will decide the texture of the walls and the cloth you will use for cushions. Also the size of cushion will matter. Personal choice of the color is best. I always go for rustic looks which matches most & mingles with all set ups. It give a look of luxury too. Pl consider all these facts before you decide. Hope this will help you. Looking forward for a happy home!!
    ...See More

Adding traditional decor to my living room

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi all! I am in the midst of decorating my living space. I have added a teal blue sofa, white walls and wooden furniture (coffee table, dining table with teal blue and off white print)- how can I infuse some traditional Indian to this decor? If there some small elements that I could add please suggest! Thank you
    ...See More

Need help for my living room

Q

Comments (10)
    Hello Soumya, If the make is similar the changed colors may not look as great. The best bet would be to wait for a couple of days as this is festive period most of the goods would be out of stock. But they would be addding to the stocks soon. Add it to wish list , if the website allows you to... Another option would be to go with accent chairs as you mentioned already. The make and finish being different wouldn't matter as much. And the last option is to get it customised same as existing one with a local vendor. Costly but more durable. Thanks, Nitin Cornerstone Designs Bangalore.
    ...See More

Help me decorate my living room :)

Q

Comments (83)
    that is what i have added if you can see the pic above.. want some suggestions on partition that i can use between dining and sitting
    ...See More
  • mzapper
    7 years ago

looks more like a dining chair to me

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

lol ok, so why not loose the blue chair too and get a pair of those?

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I know... but now I like my blue chair... but I could move it upstairs... or get another tufted chair to go along with it... instead of the red one...

• Jen Osborne
    7 years ago

This is a great thread to follow! Your room is great and so much better for having placed the couch facing the fireplace.

I would put a throw or blanket on the back of the sofa to lighten it visually. Like on this photo ( not the best exemple but to give you an idea) or a narrow table, with some basket for toys storage underneath.

Britt thanked Jen Osborne
  • Kyle Barrett
    7 years ago

Britt, the red chair is nice and quirky for having different legs and arms. By all means change it if you like, but I'd suggest you go the thrift option again and find one nearby on eBay or craigslist or something, while selling yours. Don't spend out on a new one just to replace that one tiny detail.

@mzapper definitely what they'd call an 'occasional chair' in the proper sense, not this new way where what is actually meant is an 'accent chair'.

I like the above idea to put a light throw on the sofa, don't cover the nice detail or features like the arms, but just enough to lighten it and maybe tie the blue of the chair into the sofa!

• Kyle Barrett
    7 years ago

As much as I've lobbied to keep that chair, if you really dislike it don't keep it - it's your home and it has to reflect what you like. And in that instance, certainly don't buy a brand new one that is only slightly more to your tastes unless you genuinely like the idea of having a maroon occasional chair.

Once you're sure you're happy with all the furniture I'd invest the money in tying the colours together and making sure you have a unified palette. Unfortunately I think will mean choices which will probably make some items redundant.

I don't think you can have the green rug (and did I see matching cushions?), the maroon chair and the blue armchair all in harmony. I think green, red and blue would be a fairly difficult palette to reconcile.

• rcarterworld
    7 years ago

I like that you moved the couch! I feel like the table should be removed entirely...but I am assuming you have kids and that is why you have it. Sorry...I read as much as I could prior to posting my thoughts.

• er612
    7 years ago

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

er.. i already suggested that lol... shes working on it im sure hahahaha

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

downbytheriver: not really feeling the swivel chairs :(

rcarterworld: yes, 3 kids... otherwise we'd just eat at the island and we have a formal dinning room as well

er612: a lamp with a big base? Not something more slender? I will try to move the photos within the next two days

Kyle: what do you think of the chair below? found it on a local community trading page... set of four... think I could use it as a arm chair in the living room - add a throw pillow for back support.. maybe with some blue tones to tie in the other chair?

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jen: love the throw idea... will definitely do that. Love the sofa table too but don't think it'd be good with the kids running around and a tight squeeze with the kitchen table..

• Kyle Barrett
    7 years ago

It's lovely and light Britt, especially if you end up going with a white floor lamp to match the turned wood (doesn't have to be identical in design ofcourse) like I put in the picture above. Do you like it - I think that's what matters really?

Also, importantly to me, is it a bargain!?

I don't know what you'll do with all 4, but no harm in having extras if they're cheap.

I'd like to know everyone else's opinion too!

• creative6938
    7 years ago

You might want to consider moving the couch to the other wall near the window, and placing the TV on the wall where the photographs are currently at. Perhaps get rid of that rug in the middle, it creates the illusion of a tiny living space. I would suggest getting a dark oak coffee table to match the rest of the colors in the living room. Also have you considered placing a mirror on top of your fireplace, that would create the illusion of a bigger space. Hope this helps.

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm taking the chairs for a test drive tomorrow to see if it'll be a good fit... didn't ask for the measurements but I'm hoping they aren't too small... I'm thinking they might be because they aren't traditional arm chairs... they were apart of a dining table. $250 for set of 4... I have a lot of parties and it'll be nice to have extra chairs that don't fold... I have a corner I could place another one in... and keep the others in the basement.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

i like it!

• Kyle Barrett
    7 years ago

Take some photos, obviously!

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The chair did NOT work at all... but I have made these updates :)

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

om gosh............high five!!!!!! it looks great!

Britt thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Chair to replace the red one...

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

now, i would get a matching white cabinet for the right side.. !but look how good it is now

• Debbie McMahon Carr
    7 years ago

Love all the changes you have made.

Britt thanked Debbie McMahon Carr
  • onetwothre
    7 years ago

Looks great! Maybe move the two square ottomans in front of the couch, like a coffee table?

• 111ideahound
    7 years ago

It looks beautiful!! :)

Britt thanked 111ideahound
  • sheilaskb
    7 years ago

I agree with Jacknewportbeach. I would put the sofa in front of the double windows and move the two chairs to another room. Then, I would put the oval or round table, on which you originally had the TV, to the left corner by the fireplace and use it as a lamp/end table for the sofa. I would suggest you get a substantial table, bureau, entertainment center, or armoire, and put it against the solid wall that is opposite the windows. Then, place your TV in or on this piece of furniture. If there is room for one of the occasional chairs at the right side of the fireplace, you might place one chair in this location. If there is room for a chair next to the armoire, then place the chair accordingly. Would the room be less crowded if you would turn the dining table the other way?

• er612
    7 years ago

Bravo! It looks amazing! Most important question though is do you like it? Hope so. Let us know if you need anything else.

Britt thanked er612
  • Jen Osborne
    7 years ago

Ah, it looks so cozy! What an improvement!

• Kyle Barrett
    7 years ago

Jeez Britt, hope youre happy. Makes a huge difference. Excited to see new chairs in situ.

Britt thanked Kyle Barrett
  • auntthelma
    7 years ago

Love the table at the bottom of the stairs! Looks so much nicer.

Britt thanked auntthelma
  • katinparadise
    7 years ago

Wonderful changes!

Britt thanked katinparadise
  • Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm so happy with the way everything has turned out! I think that Feng Shui must be a real thing... Are living room is so much more relaxing and we now have defined living spaces... Amazing helpful feedback from everyone that didn't really cost me a thing... I about pulled my hair out trying to put the Ikea unit together though ;)... Gotta figure out how to incorporate the little blue chair now... Going to get a pillow or throw for the stained red chair...

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

just remove the red chair, the two blue chairs look great.

• Debbie McMahon Carr
    7 years ago

Your room is beautiful, I like the red chair.

Britt thanked Debbie McMahon Carr
  • User
    7 years ago
    The room looks great!
    Britt thanked User
  • sheilaskb
    7 years ago

I agree with Jacknewportbeach about putting the sofa in front of the large window and putting theTV on the solid wall that divides the room from the staircase. However, I notice a dining room set in the left corner of a photo, between the kitchen and this room. Do you have another room that can be used for a dining room or a living room? If you have another living room, why not turn THIS room (which you call a living room in your post) into the dining room? If you still want the TV in this room, you could put it on the staircase wall, but I would suggest getting an armoire to conceal the TV when not in use. As for the spaces left and right of the fireplace, you might add china hutches that would fit into the spaces OR have built-in ones made. The other pieces of furniture could go into a newly designated living room/family room, and the path through the room to the stairway would be less crowded.

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Love the pillow idea! - What about a red throw for the couch? May have better lucking finding one of those than green or blue... all the Home Goods I've been to are lacking in a good selection...

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

the red chair does cause an obstruction now though... with having little feet running around... maybe I will just pull it out when company is over...

• Kyle Barrett
    7 years ago

I love the red chair still! But this will be one for you to decide, Britt. I don't get the impression you're all that excited by it. Maybe you feel like it's time for a change?

I'd love to find a matching footstool for it.

• katinparadise
    7 years ago

It's looking great Britt! It's always nice to be able to feel good walking into a room.

Britt thanked katinparadise
  • User
    7 years ago

What an amazing transformation! Britt, you obviously had some talented people helping you along the way. It's great to see someone make so many positive changes to a room and the outcome is fabulous. Enjoy your new space!

Britt thanked User
  • PRO
    Logistics, inc
    7 years ago

Before

After

Much better! nice work Britt!

Britt thanked Logistics, inc
  • Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Some new artwork! Still loving my Livingroom... Thanks for all the much needed advice!!

• Sherly
    7 years ago

I love the artwork! Where did you get it from? I've been searching for a large artwork for while now and haven't been able to find something I like, but that is beautiful!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

So modern now, looks fantastic, love the family pictures! Way to go!!!!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    7 years ago

one question/fix is the bulb that shines down on the art turned on by the same switch as the rest? (fireplace) If so, then get a bulb that isn't quite so bright, if not install a dimmer on the switch.

• lawsonch19
    7 years ago

Have been following along and love your "new" room. The arrangement is so much cozier with the couch facing the fireplace. I like it much better without the red. Like the art. Good job! Hope you and your family enjoy it.

• Britt
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sherly: Thank you! I got the artwork from Hobby Lobby for $50 on clearance! The other photos are family photos that I altered with an app on my phone "artisto" and printed then framed.

downbytheriver: Thanks! Good to hear from you! The light is on the same switch as all the lights in the living room... It doesn't look bad or glared just on camera but I will try a lighter bulb.. think we use the same as the ones in the kitchen which are probably a little too bright to go in the living room.

lawsonch19: Thank you! agreed, red was out of place... I just need to replace one more chair and I think I'll be happy ;)

• katinparadise
    7 years ago

Perfect! Congratulations-you did a wonderful job!