annie_keef

What colour units for a north east facing kitchen

Annie Par
7 years ago

The room is bright in the mornings & much darker with no direct light in the afternoons/evenings. The darkest part of the room will have 3 tall units, the rest is mostly base units. I've settled on soft warm oak grey flooring from quick-step, might use as counter splash backs too (trying to limit materials). Worktop to be corian glacier white with moulded sink. I have a brushed stainless steel range cooker so thinking to have stainless steel kick-boards & cooker splash back. Changing two ceiling 5 spot strip lights (led daylight bulbs) to two x 2 bar fluorescent strips, bulb type to be decided. Need to choose colour for eggshell unit doors, what colours or undertones should I go for? Colours to be chosen from Linda Barkers range at wren. Online I've found conflicting advice on whether to use or avoid yellow, pink, grey, green & blue undertones. If anyone has any advice I'd be grateful.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago

What look do you want to achieve? Why do they say to avoid them? What is you want to avoid? Do you mean psychologically they are not good to use? or for clean reasons.. appearance?

I think this mostly depends on your personal taste and style. It sounds like you are going quite modern so I would aim for the greys or greens but if you were my client I would be looking for a lot more information to help me make that decision. It will obviously change the whole look and feel of the kitchen :)

Annie Par thanked Create Perfect
  • Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Hello,
    Changing the whole look is what I'd like, we've waited many years to do this room. I'd like to achieve a calm, warm, welcoming, soft (not clinical) less busy look. Having more storage and worktop area, planning to keep less 'stuff' on show. True handleless eggshell unit doors will visually keep things quieter. It's a kitchen diner, we spend a lot of time around the table. Room orientation means evening meal prep is always under artificial light most of the year.

One article on houzz is 'How to Pick the Perfect Paint Colours for Light-starved Spaces'
    https://www.houzz.co.uk/magazine/how-to-pick-the-perfect-paint-colours-for-light-starved-spaces-stsetivw-vs~68625686 - says to avoid pink & peach undertones because they are hard to live with.

Another is 'https://www.lwk-home.com/kitchen-blog/north-facing-kitchen-colour-schemes/' says 'But key for these kitchens is that their cool light quality will likely emphasise cool paint undertones. This can create a chilly or dreary kitchen feel. To avoid this, the ideal for north facing kitchens are medium-toned colours with warm undertones. These will counteract cold light and introduce the visual warmth that is missing. Such colours include yellow based hues, or creamy neutrals.'

So I know I can make the room feel different by the paint on the walls and ceiling but I'm keen to find an answer to the more permanent elements. Flooring, & worktop sorted, the main decision is the kitchen unit doors which once settled on I can figure the tiles and / or splashback then the paint and type of lightbulbs (warm or cool white) last.

Thank you

• Related Discussions

Need help with my kitchen

Q

Comments (2)
    This is the kitchen plan
    ...See More

17*75 plan facing north

Q

Comments (6)
    first thing, after you enter the door obstruct the stair and circulation, then the single seater sofa also is lying just in the middle of the main passage, then the toilet just adjoining the dining will affect the ambience by the foul smell, and the kitchen as well needs rethingking since there is no space for preparation.......so in short there are small things that needs to be considered functionally along with the planning.....
    ...See More

House design for east facing 29.6 * 52 plot

Q

Comments (21)
    Hi Sagar, The person who has designed this house has only considered Vastu in mind, but when you are designing a space it should be functional enough. You should be convenient in using that space in long run. As mentioned above, kitchen and dining should be adjacent to each other for conveniency. There is no common toilet on the ground floor for guest uses. Puja room should be somewhere in the interior of the house, it should not be at the entry. You can go for a Puja room on the first floor as well, since it's for family uses. This plan needs a lot of changes, better go for a professional help. Regards Prity
    ...See More

floor plan for 2bhk east facing

Q

Comments (13)
    Hi, We are the professional seasoned civil engineers and arichtects having 20 to 30 years experience . We worked for senior level positions with top builders in bangalore. Niw we have started our own firm to provide the one point solutions, i e design and build with interior works . We can discuss if you are interested . Please contact 9845018061. Regards, Kallesh
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Hi,
    That sounds great and it's great you have put a lot of thought into it.

As interior designers we usually think about everything as a whole rather than individual elements. This is because everything is linked and everything has an effect on everything else.

You could chose a colour and then counteract what it achieves with the colour of tiles you chose etc.

Yes, I would go for a wall undertones neutral throughout and then maybe the warm Gatsby green or moss stone.

Are you able to get samples of the colours for the kitchen?
    You really need to see these next to your flooring choice and if you place them in your kitchen you can look at the different light and how it effects the colour.

Hope it helps
  • Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

sadly they don't give out samples, thought their sample rack is being replaced next week, so I might get my hands on the discarded samples overnight. I took the flooring sample to the store but wasn't much help as it needs to be here!

I'm guessing you are saying warm undertones. Do like green, we currently have Farrow & Ball cooking apple green on one wall, it's very soft. Will probably use F&B white tie, which we have through the house so if that looks right will help link the rooms. Just looked at Gatsby green or moss stone , bolder choice as I was thinking Morning mist is that too safe? The boldest I was considering was Satin pink, hence the confusion on pinks/creams/greens arguments. I will see if I can get all four samples. Thanks

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would the Gatsby green or moss stone looks okay with Linen as the colour for the tall units in the darkest part of the kitchen. The other units are on the opposite wall with 2 units and the cooker at right angles to the back wall. The different units will be separated by a door to the pantry.

• PRO
    Create Perfect
    7 years ago
    Yes they would look fine as it has a warm undertone unlike super white.

It's hard to be 100% as I would usually take everything into account including all materials used (doors, metals), the over all
    Style, other rooms colours and styles etc to make sure you get a coherent look through your space as a whole.

The colours suggested are warm and welcoming with a relaxing and calming effect which I think would match the style and elements you are trying to achieve. In the evenings they will also take on a different warmer look under artificial light which will add a different layer to the space.

I hope it help, all the best, Gina
  • minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Annie. Just based on what you've said I might rethink adding the stainless steel. Perhaps a textured splashback or something that gives the appearance of texture would create a softer look. You don't have any ideabooks set up though to help with suggestions

• Ann Par
    7 years ago

didn't know about ideasbook, will take a look this evening. I think I'd like to keep the brushed stainless steel kickboards, help tie the two sides of the kitchen and the two different cupboard doors plus the cooker and microwave and kettle and toaster are all brushed stainless steel. I am more than happy to consider a different cooker splashback. I like the orla keily multi stem pattern as it has some cheerful muted shades. We have a lot of celadon glazed studio pottery (Richard Batterham) a large breadcrock, good to have on show,

• minnie101
    7 years ago

If you click on the top right of the screen into your houzz, you can create ideabooks from saving pics from houzz etc. You could just have the kickboards in the door colours, the door style will tie them in. Just an idea though as SS can sometimes be a little clinical looking. Do you mean using the orla Keily wallpaper behind glass? I've found something in the style of but this is printed on the glass

Annie Par thanked minnie101
  • Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I now have an ideabook

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I take your point re S/S to tie together, and the photo illustrates how it could be. I can source the brushed S/S kick-boards cheaper than the same colour as the doors boards and I think that was playing a part in the idea.

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Both your comments have been so helpful. I'm grateful you took the time & I'm clearer now on an overall look and less ovet thinking the elements. So base unit doors moss green (once sample confirms it looks good here), splashback toughened glass over wallpaper sample in ideabooks, currently on chimney brest in living room, so continuity in the home and reminds us to treat kitchen as a rest place too. No s/s kickboards and I'm using ideabooks. Thank you

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Sorry Annie, I didn't receive email notification of your previous comments. It's a bit 50/50 as to whether it works. I'm glad you've decided on what you want. Hopefully the moss green will work well in the room (I couldn't actually get the wren website to bring up the colour names so assume it just doesn't work on an iPad)

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oo 50/50? The tall units will be linen which is very close to f&b white tie, so that should bounce some light. Moss stone! My typo, sorry. Try searching for pdf called 'the_linda_barker_collection-colour_stories.pdf'.

• PRO
    Solid Furniture Design
    7 years ago

Hi Annie Par ,

Our team would love to help you with your bespoke kitchen project.

we work with our clients to create a unique kitchens that will not only look great, but tailor-made to fit the exact dimensions of the property (furniture from floor to celing and wall to wall).

Please contact us via the contact form on our website if you are interested in our service and someone from our team will contact you as soon as possible to discuss the project.

http://www.kitchenwardrobe.com/contact

Kind Regards,

A&S Kitchen Wardrobe

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Kitchen ordered, fitting starts Dec 12th. Got samples and it is moss stone + linen. Thinking oilcloth behind toughened glass for splashback. Fluorescent lights fitted with 2700k warm white bulbs. No s/s. Having upstands on worktop so can wait & see if tiles need retrofitting. Ceiling painted white tie. Flooring ordered. Tap and cupboard internal lighting in the shed. Just need to pack up & prepare to be sinkless for 10 days. Help on here has been invaluable.

• twamleyk
    7 years ago

Hi Annie, any photos of finished kitchen? Sounds lovely!

Annie Par thanked twamleyk
  • Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Would do except Wren have so far failed to deliver the last 18 items, so half the kitchen is semi fitted awaiting end panels and permanent worktops (23/1/17) and the other half, tall unit run, unfitted awaiting items. They delivered a partial kitchen 10/12/16, chased and finally located follow on items. Then new delivery date of 22/12 was my breaking point as the van showed up with temp sink & worktop but they didn't load missing items. Grr. Now saying they will deliver on the 17/1/17. I like the product but don't have much faith it the guarantee or customer care so lets hope they don't start falling apart. There are fb pages dedicated to Wren kitchen disasters. Oh dear. I have lots of painting to do to. Thanks for the reminder I will try to post the look so far.

Camping in the living room

• twamleyk
    7 years ago

It's looking good, but so sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I confess I did read a lot of bad stuff about Wren so decided to avoid them for our own kitchen (we still had some delays with IKEA though).

• minnie101
    7 years ago

Hi Annie. It's looking good, sorry to hear you've been let down, how frustrating and disappointing. Fingers crossed for the 17th, I didn't receive notification of your last email, I meant it's 50/50 as to whether I receive an email notification of a comment from a houzz post!

• Ann Par
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Relieved, everything arrived today, Fitters back this Friday, worktop Monday. Need to paint but am bereaved & I have flu. Might be some time before the 'after' photos are posted. Thank you all for your encouragement and ideas

• Ann Par
    7 years ago

Minnie101, 50/50 for me too, just seen your last message from the 9th tonight, no email notification.

• PRO
    Home By Design Ltd
    7 years ago
    I don't normally slate any of the competition because it's unprofessional but I have come across this group on Facebook.

Sorry I didn't find you earlier!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/wren.kitchens.disasters/
    Annie Par thanked Home By Design Ltd
  • Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm following that fb group, I think my experience is tame in comparison to horror stories on there.

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Doors will be aligned after the bowed one is replaced

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Worktops on, sink plumbed. Lots of painting to do

• twamleyk
    7 years ago

Looking great!

• PRO
    Edmondson Interiors
    7 years ago

Subtle natural contrasts in colour. keeping some surfaces light and reflective

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    7 years ago

It will be another month before fitter can get back to replace 4 doors and 2 hinges. Time to paint, restock cupboards, figure out how best to do oilcloth behind glass splashback and decide on shelving for tea station.

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    6 years ago

After waiting 2 weeks from January order of oak window sill, ledge shelves and flat shelves that arrived 4 months later, then another month for fitter to find half a day to fit us in... TOMORROW'S THE DAY. And we're ready. Might even get some 'after' photos on here.

• Annie Par
    Original Author
    6 years ago