zilloakley

Need help choosing a kitchen backsplash tile

zilloakley
11 years ago
My husband and I are having a home built. We will have medium oak cabinets in the kitchen, stainless appliances, and butter rum granite laminate countertops. I am thinking of putting an off-white glass tile backsplash, that has a hint of sparkle on some of the tiles, with a greige subway tile backsplash above the stovetop. Any ideas??

Comments (37)

• PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    I find that the greige and the wood don't work - one has too much yellow and gold undertones - while the greige clashes. Greige works best with silver or grey woods. For oak cabinets, I prefer the smaller glass tile.
  • fabia
    11 years ago
    Try to stay in line with the tones of the oak and the counter top. Earth tones work well.
  • PRO
    Coastal Home Design Studio
    11 years ago
    I agree with both, but, if you are going light I would do a tie in using glass i.e. "Flash Beaming Linear Mosaic"

http://www.emser.com/index.php?id1=collectionDetails&index=198&productID=1692&name=FLASH(TM)_Beaming_Linear_Mosaic&id0=glass&scrollMenuglass=0&scrollMenuglass=0
  • zilloakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    After reading these comments, I'm wondering if my stainless appliances will look ok with the oak cabinets and butter rum granite countertops? Would I be better off to get black appliances? Or white?
  • Rosemary Davis
    11 years ago
    In my opinion the collage of tiles and wood look great if you take out the glass tile.
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    11 years ago
    Please don't worry about stainless steel. It is popular because it works with everything except gold, and personally I think it has a richer feel than black or white appliances (unless you are going ultramodern!)
  • PRO
    JDM Countertops, Inc.
    11 years ago
    I would like to see some warmth added to your back splash to tie in the counter and cabinets. Out of the two tiles selected, I like the glass better. Stainless appliances would be fine since you're bringing that tone into your back splash, and you can also bring it in with hardware. Black would be ok too, since your countertop color will tie it in, but it will be more of a contrast.
  • User
    11 years ago
    I think you are fine with stainless - I consider them a neutral.
    I agree with the above comments, I think you need something warmer for the backsplash. Both of the tiles you chose look too cool in tone.
    Here is a kitchen with your counters with a warmer potentially natural stone backsplash. I think the key is to find something that is not busy, but has the same tones as you counter and cabinets.
    Showplace Cabinets - Kitchen · More Info
  • teddy3
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    I think the above kitchen with a warmer natural stone backsplash would go better with your counter.
  • PRO
    SEMERJIAN BUILDERS
    11 years ago
    I think Glass tiles for a Kitchen backslpash Oak cabinetry may be too modern/transitional for the setting. In a few years, it may look dated. Check out some of my backsplash ideas at www.semerjianbuilders.com where I have several Kitchen and bathroom ideas which showcase some nice options. Good Luck !
  • quantumnerd
    11 years ago
    I found a nice subway tile with darker grout that would look nice. Here is a picture.
  • quantumnerd
    11 years ago
    I'll post your counter top by it to. I would go with a subway tile that has that color of the base color of your granite, and then a darker brown grout that is the color of the darker colors in your granite. I thought it looked pretty. :)
  • zilloakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you so much quantumnerd. I really do like that subway tile with the darker grout. Where can it be seen?
  • qam999
    11 years ago
    Try grout selector tool ( http://www.tileshop.com/grout/groutselector.aspx) to see effect of different grout colors with various tiles. Amazing how big a difference from one to another.
  • PRO
    My Tile Backsplash
    11 years ago
    zilloakley,

Take a look at this product: http://www.mytilebacksplash.com/bellaglasscb36.aspx. This is called the cinnamon blend. The style is similar to your mosaic, but has the colors of both your granite tops and cabinet colors as well.
  • quantumnerd
    11 years ago
    Hi sorry I didn't know you had replied. :) I found the backsplash at this link: http://urbanvegan.net/2012/10/vegan-mofo-new-kitchen-tour-part-1-and.html#!/2012/10/vegan-mofo-new-kitchen-tour-part-1-and.html
  • mountie
    11 years ago
    The color choices for the tiles do not fit well with either your cabinets or counters. You need to choose tiles that are more "earthen" in tone (browns, greens, tans, beiges). Stay away from gray, white, silver, yellow. If you want a sleeker look, you can find modern tiles in these color combinations.
  • goodbyegirl
    11 years ago
    I have medium cabinets and a similar tile. I like the look of glass but all glass is too much for me. I also like black appliances. Too much work with fingerprints on stainless steel. Putting together all the elements of a kitchen is daunting! You will find what you love.
  • goodbyegirl
    11 years ago
    I meant a similar granite. Here is another photo.
  • gardenarian
    11 years ago
    I would consider using a stainless panel for your backsplash, esp. if you do a lot of cooking. I do and the tile is hard to keep clean.
  • Pamela Fisk
    11 years ago
    I don't understand why everyone is so timid with color. Neutral coors translate to a nuetral life. I have each room in our condo painted wonderful vivid colors and we get so many compliments! I would add a wonderful vivid burgundy tile to the backsplash and perhaps another style for over the stove, also in a vivid burgundy color. lt will warm up what feels like such a cold space to me. For whatever it's worth! (We painted our kitchen a vivid blue and are planning an entire redo of the kitchen when my husband retires and can do it all himself, but we will retain the blue.) The photo illustrates how I've brought ocean coral printed design into a bedroom that features many shades of coral.
  • calidesign
    11 years ago
    I agree with most of the others. With the oak cabinets and warm granite, use a light cream (warm) subway tile, and darker tan grout. The glass tiles are not the same style, and clash too much. You want your kitchen to look classic and not be dated in a couple of years.
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    I tried to google "granite laminate countertops" but still wasn't sure exactly what you mean by that term. Can you clarify?
  • quantumnerd
    11 years ago
    @Pamelafisk, color is great but where a backsplash is concerned, when you get tired of the burgandy tiles in a couple of years, ripping that out and putting up a new color is pricey and work. But if you accessorize with bright colors like burgandy then when your tired of it in a few months you can change it out. I love colors too, and neutrals don't have to mean boring or boring life.
  • quantumnerd
    11 years ago
    @Pamelafisk these rooms are anything but boring! (your room is a nice coral though don't get me wrong) :)
  • PRO
    Fine Art Tileworks — Handmade Relief Tile
    11 years ago
    zilloakley — I don't see any ideabooks on your profile yet...I recommend you collect dozens of photos of cabinet/backsplash/countertop color combos you like. This may help you better discover and define your own tastes in colors and/or style. And if you plan to stay in the house for a long time, put in what YOU like, not what is in style or would give the best resale value. If it's glass tiles, or beach pebbles, or marbles, who cares?!? Don't get too anxious to make a decision...a lot of the fun can be in the hunt. Gather enough samples, and eventually you'll find a combination of materials and colors that will click and you'll know "that's it!"
  • kalforan
    11 years ago
    Hi, I love the counter top and the back splash but I find the two together are busy, You can get that glass in a mocha or black and that would pop your oak, just an idea, good luck with whatever you choose.
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    Re back splashes you have chosen do not go with the top. You need more of a brown tone backsplash with minimal color deviations. Try and pick up one of the colors in the granite and get that color as a backsplash. What you have chosen does not work. Sorry!
  • leelee
    11 years ago
    Totally agree with bevballew, your granite is warm in tones but the backsplash tiles are a cold gray. They don't play well together. Your cabinets are oak which can have yellow sometimes orangy tones so that may make your granite look pink! I say completely re-think your granite color then keep your gray backsplash.
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Those two do not work well together at all. A warmer mix of colors would be better.
  • zilloakley
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    The cabinets and countertops are alreadly finished in the new home. I cannot change them, nor do I want to change them. I appreciate all the positive suggestions. Thanks for your help everyone. I have chosen a backsplash that works beautifully now, so I don't need any further suggestions, but I don't know how to end this thread. Lol!
  • bevballew
    11 years ago
    I know. You get connected to these threads. At least you are telling us you are all set. Do share your finished room. I have three threads that just ended and miss,them! It becomes a bit addictive!
  • quantumnerd
    11 years ago
    Great! Enjoy your new kitchen!
  • bella417
    10 years ago
    I am looking for greige glass subway tile. just like yours. can you please tell me where you purchased it?
  • Krickette Sieloff-Eaton
    9 years ago
    I think this just clashes
  • PRO
    Oasis Tile
    9 years ago
    zilloakley, Once you start a discussion you will receive an unlimited amount of information with all professionals that are willing to help you. If you need any help finding the right backsplash for your kitchen, www.glasstileoasis.com offers over 5000 different mosaic tiles you can choose from. We are confident you will find a unique backsplash tile to fit your budget.