brandi_mahaney

Should garage door match window color or trim color?

BM M
7 years ago

We have recently replaced the windows in our house with sandalwood colored vinyl windows. We are now ready to replace the garage doors and front entry. Our trim is currently the original ivory color. When we purchased the windows we purposely did not choose ivory as it seemed dated but now looking at garage doors the available standard colors either seem to match our ivory trim well or match the darker grout in our brick. I am thinking we should go with the lighter ivory type color for the garage doors since it will match the trim well but will our sandalwood windows look out of place then? How closely should windows and trim match? Right now I don't think the windows stick out too much and they seem to blend in a bit. I am thinking that keeping the trim and siding more ivory colored might work better than changing everything to match the windows which seem a bit pinkish/beige.

Do you think it is better to match the trim and hope the windows blend in and aren't too noticeable? I am debating whether to replace the front entry with a very dark solid brown door and matching 3/4 colonial style sidelights and transom and painting the shutters to match or to keep it traditional and have the sidelights match the trim or garage door, in which case I think the lighter ivory color would look better since it would have more contrast than a darker grout/cement color.

Comments (6)