anna4730

Help with House Reno/extension

anna4730
7 years ago

Hi, I am wondering if anyone would like to offer some suggestions. Our 1950's 2 Bed house needs extending and repair but I just can't seem to find the right solution. We have lived here for 17years and over the years have had plans drawn up by 3 different architects but still don't feel we have the right solution. I would really appreciate any ideas from the community.

Our house is a basic double brick house with single garage under situated on a 600sqm block. The block steps up at the back. There is a very badly build extension that has been built right to the edge of the original pool at the rear of the house. Floor to ceiling glass windows look out over the pool and act as pool barrier, the which looks lovely, however because they cant open, it is extremely hot in summer with no ventilation. The position of the pool confines our space, but it is also great feature of the house and very well used by my boys. The house is North/ West facing and receives lovely natural light. Hot in summer, but in winter the late afternoon sun floods the front rooms which is lovely. We have views over bushland at the front.

With our growing 2 boys, we now require 3 bedrooms (incl. master with ensuite) and at least one office/studio, two living areas, plus decent laundry/mudroom and new covered deck/outdoor living area. We have decided we may have to extend upwards but want to maintain the sun on our pool and yard as much as possible. I am not opposed to renovating/moving/reshaping our pool if it means extra space for the house, but we don't want to loose our yard. (and if anything, we would like extra grassed areas for our dogs). Ideally I would like to incorporate our outdoor spaces into the design process as well.

I have included sketch with rough measurements and survey. Our budget is around $400K.

Any ideas, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Comments (19)