angela_gee96

Seeking floor sanding diy advice

Angela Gee
7 years ago
Advice please! Just purchased a house and want to sand the floors myself as figure it's pretty expensive to pay for a pro. Is it any easy enough diy job? I have been given conflicting info. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• therockster
    7 years ago
    Pay for an expert - finished result is worth it in the long run
  • suzineedsahouse
    7 years ago

Pay someone. Save somewhere else.

• Gallifrey
    7 years ago

Definitely pay for a pro. Your floors are one of the most important features of your house.. A good floor sand and finish can add more value than you can possibly save by trying to do it yourself. I have had it done at three houses in the last 10 years, and it is not that expensive.

• PRO
    Budget Floor Sanding Brisbane
    7 years ago

Hi Angela,

Definitely call in a Pro. Floor sanding is not that expensive. They will do it in a fraction of the time using commercial floor sanding equipment, not the dinky toy hire variety for the DIY market. If there are any damaged boards that need replacing or staining to match new replacement boards to old, could you do it, and do it well? Save your sanity by getting a professional to do it. Save money by doing any painting that is required. Once you start sanding you could find you have had borer in your floor and floor boards need replacing. Take a look at this horror job that we had to tackle. I think you will agree it is best left to a PRO.

http://budgetfloorsanding.com.au/floor-sanding-and-polishing/timber-floor-board-repairs/

• wuff
    7 years ago
    Yes, call the pro, husband I do lots of diy, but would not touch the sanding of floors, too important to get wrong
  • how2girl
    7 years ago
    Floor sanding isn't an easy DIY job. It's dirty, difficult, hard work & if you're not experienced you could ruin your wooden floors beyond redemption. You can inadvertently cause "dishing" in your floor. This happens when you hold the sander in one location for too long, it needs to be moving all of the time. Once you've caused dishes, that are visibly deeper than other areas of the floor, you can't keep sanding the rest to get it all to one level again.