tonkasmom

Awkward placement of fireplace - what to do with fireplace

Dede Ward
8 years ago

My daughter just bought this small house where they cut a room in half to add a large master bedroom. The result is this......any suggestions as to make it less noticeable? Whitewash? Paint same color as wall?

Comments (73)

• PRO
    Sorry, I Want This
    8 years ago

If it's not working, remove it. It looks terrible, and painting it would only make it less obvious - but it's still there.
    Remove the floorboard in the front, the brick frame and cover the walls. If it's too costly in the beginning, remove it and place some shelving in front of the 'undone' area. Then if the budget is there, make it one with the rest of the wall.

Dede Ward thanked Sorry, I Want This
  • Melanie Wiens
    8 years ago

Option 1: Low shelving up to the height of the window all the way across (maybe even with cushions on top to make a bench?), and then a gallery wall on the other side of the window to balance it out. Create a little seating area in front of the fireplace with a couple of chairs and a rug sort of as a separate conversation area form the rest of the living room where a couple of people could have coffee and chat, or you could curl up with a book in front of the fire.

Option 2: Bookcase or cabinets on the opposite wall the same height as the fireplace to create some symmetry. Maybe coordinating artwork or mirrors above both the fireplace and the shelving/cabinet. Valance on the window. something decorative just below the window.

With either option would definitely whitewash or somehow paint the fireplace to help it blend in a little bit.

Dede Ward thanked Melanie Wiens
  • Related Discussions

Furniture placement in sunken living room with fireplace

Q

Comments (3)
    If I were you, I would put the tv on the end solid wall and float a pair of sofas in the room perpendicular to the tv wall. Then you'd have your tv and your fireplace at opposite ends of the room and you could enjoy either of them equally. I'm not sure how large your room is, but there may be room for another chair or two. You are best to draw up the room to scale and experiment with furniture dimensions to see what nicely fits there. Allow enough room for a coffee table or a large upholstered ottoman in the centre. Does this help?
    ...See More

Need help to separate dining and drawing area

Q

Comments (8)
    Privacy could be obtained with a screen, placement of potted plants, an open bookcase, but I like your idea for a curved track with a curtain as one option for visual privacy. I would rotate the dining table 90 degrees and move it towards the balcony. I would remove those two chairs/tables because the layout of a single chair that far apart from another chair does not work. You may need to move the seating away from the main entrance because it looks like you walk in and you're on top of a loveseat. In such a tight space with so many doors that open in to the main living/dining - my advice is to keep it simple. Scale the furniture properly and have pieces that are multi-functional. Example- an ottoman that can serve as seating. A bench at the dining table to seat 3 on each side. I would also place two smaller loveseats facing each other in front of the fireplace. This will give you an "entry area" (along the back side of the kitchen wall) and help to define the living from dining rooms. Even if you don't have a formal entry, try to create a bit of space to welcome people.
    ...See More

Need help with my living room

Q

Comments (138)
    Leather sofas can really dominate the room and can give an overall cold feeling. I would add some earthy elements, like a wood coffee table with glass or metal. Go to Restoration Hardware's website and look at their sofa room scenes. And I'm sorry I think the art is too harsh for the room. That's all your eye goes to in the room. too overpowering. I would look for something softer or maybe a cool mirror and I would add color to the room with pillows and some colorful lamps. I also think woven blinds would look great. They add warmth and give a finished look. The color of your window treatments should contrast your wall color a bit, not match it or else it starts to look generic and blah.. You have warm walls, warm floors and the woven blinds, like Hunter Douglas brand would pull it all together for you.
    ...See More

What to do with fireplace

Q

Comments (6)
    A Rumford design is very shallow, has outward-flaring sides, a back that arches forward, a curve on the underside of the front lintel leading back to a broad slot-like flue with a flue chamber above it. The overall front opening is almost square, sometimes slightly taller than wide. Rumford fireplaces are very distinctive looking. You can get some basic information from this wikipedia article here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumford_fireplace and there is plenty of info online, even ready-made reproductions (more or less accurate). Rumford developed his improvements and published them in the late 1790s, just before fireplace heating was displaced by stove heating (a process already well underway when Rumford developed his improvements). Good luck with your whatever you decide to do.
    ...See More
  • nhme
    8 years ago
    My first thought was to build/install a bookcase of comparable size on the other side of the window for balance. Then, when budget allows, perhaps she could have someone build small window seat in between.
  • Gabriella Williams
    8 years ago

I'm chiming in on the corner fireplace idea. I think it would be super easy to convert it, especially since it's not fully functional. All you would need to do is add some additional brick to the right side and build out the corner mantle piece on top. Easy peasy! Then I'd finish it off with a nice electric slide-in. There are quite a few affordable models out there if you look. I would be extremely hesitant to remove it since that will likely require professional help and you'd have to repair the wall. Bottom line, cost to remove would be much more expensive than building it out. But leaving it alone and merely painting it isn't going to get rid of the eyesore. Plus removing it would likely decrease your home value.

Dede Ward thanked Gabriella Williams
  • pbutler111
    8 years ago

There's nothing you 're going to be able to do to or around this fireplace to make the placement seem less awkward than it is. It needs to come out.

• jh77
    8 years ago

Congratulations on the house, first of all. With the vaulted ceiling returning the room to its original size won't work. With the cold air return above, I have to suspect that the fireplace location isn't to code and so converting it to an operational fireplace (even a corner one) may not be allowed - if they think they might want to do that I would talk to a fire place shop or local code enforcement to see if that is an option. Options I see are: 1 Live with it and make it a quirky feature of the house. Put a chalkboard above it and let people put captions on it like ("Bad fireplace wouldn't let Santa in, now it has to sit in the corner.") (Fireplace shaming?) 2. Take it out or at least take out the hearth and mantle so you can cover it up. That may cost something. 3. Put a curtain rod just above the mantle and mimic it on the other side. You can put a shelf above each if you want for display. That would cheaply hide the issue and balance the room until she can decide on (and afford) a more permanent solution. Curtains could be straight and match the wall color, or could be made of a fabric printed with books to fool the eye into seeing something else. Shelves would give the opportunity to draw the eye away from the curtain and up to something decorative. In the same vein, covering the fireplace with a fake cabinet and putting a matching real one on the other side of the window would provide the same balance with a more traditional look (and more expense.) 4. Take a photo of the fire place, have it reprinted as a life size poster and put it on the other side of the window (people put windows on either side of a fire place, why not put fireplaces on either side of the window.) Good luck.

Dede Ward thanked jh77
  • bridgetparsons
    8 years ago

It would not be difficult to make it a corner fireplace.The venting to the outside would not need changing, from what I can gather and a corner fireplace would work with a little seating arrangement around it.As a corner fireplace, there would no awkwardness, in my opinion. Thats what I would do. Never consider a fireplace a disadvantage. Work around it.. Its too nice a feature not to be used and enjoyed.

Dede Ward thanked bridgetparsons
  • ladyastor
    8 years ago

The area in front of fireplace is not large enough for two chairs. I would suggest a chaise or a smaller-scale chair and ottoman. I would whitewash or paint the brick to tone it down. If you add a mantle or shelves, you now have a cozy reading nook. These would have to be very narrow, as your fireplace is not deep. In the other area, left of the window, I might be inclined to place a desk with shelves (or a tree/tall plant) to utilize and define that space. If a desk would not be useful, perhaps a small table would be better. It could be used for games or puzzles for children and/or adults. It depends on their lifestyle. The other half of the room could contain a sectional to anchor the room. Many smaller pieces of furniture might look cluttered. Unifying elements should be utilized such that you don't wind up with a disjointed result.

Dede Ward thanked ladyastor
  • Roc Newton
    8 years ago

There is this stuff called brick-anew. I would use that and on the other side of the window I would add a built in the same dimensions as the fire place for symmetry and maybe add artwork over each to tie it all together

Dede Ward thanked Roc Newton
  • Maureen Hennessy
    8 years ago
    Buy faux brick at a home improvement store. Block fireplace opening with a piece of plywood. Cover that and the wall left of fireplace at same height with fake brick. Paint all brick white. If you can, knock out hearth. Place a large plant in a nice container in front of fireplace. Fill in left area with easy chair, or desk. Put nice large poster art on wall above brick or shelving.
    Dede Ward thanked Maureen Hennessy
  • Cindy Roberts Richardson
    8 years ago
    I would make built ins on the full end around the window and put a wood stain plantation shutter on the window.
    Dede Ward thanked Cindy Roberts Richardson
  • Sarah
    8 years ago

Is that a Rumford by any chance?

1. Paint brick all white is a must if it is to stay. Add built in or built in looking window seat/ bench under window with shelving to the left of window.

OR

1. since fireplace isn't functional at this point paint brick and board over opening.

OR

3. Paint brick for now and save money to demo fireplace

Hmmmmmm.... Congrats on being homeowners!

Dede Ward thanked Sarah
  • PRO
    Becker Home
    8 years ago

For now, paint the brick the same color as the wall to help camouflage it. Put a vase of flowers inside the opening. Put a chair in the corner in front of it, or get a pretty vintage fireplace screen to cover the opening. Don't treat it like a focal point. Arrange the room like it's not there. Make the large wall on the right of the fireplace the focal wall, or the opposite wall. Save up some Money to have it removed.

Dede Ward thanked Becker Home
  • outshopping422
    8 years ago

I agree with Becker Home...candles in the fireplace would be nice too :)

Dede Ward thanked outshopping422
  • PRO
    DH Design
    8 years ago

Wow...that is a tough one. Short of tearing it out I think I would definitely paint it so it was not so obtrusive. I would then build a bookcase with cupboards below to balance the walls out and connect the built-in to the fireplace with a little window seat for more storage and to have the whole idea make sense. Then simple blinds or roman shade could be added to the window without worrying about the lack of wall space on the fireplace side for window treatments. Not sure if this is a bedroom or living room but either way, the window seat will add a cozy factor and the built-ins will provide display and storage space. If refacing the fireplace is not in the budget they should probably at least re-tile the hearth. Good luck and have fun.

Dede Ward thanked DH Design
  • cameronlamm
    8 years ago

I like the idea of turning it into a working corner fireplace if possible. If not possible I would consider removing about the top 5 levels of brick to bring the scale down (definitely get rid of the graduated portion of brick at the top. I would absolutely paint light grey or white. By removing the top five layers of brick it will make it less imposing and make it look less like the fireplace is encroaching or competing with the window. I also think that adding shelving on the other side of the window is a good balance and would make them about the same height. I also like the idea of the candles in the fireplace until you can get the fireplace working. There are some really "real" looking flameless white pillar candles these days that you could use. They are a little pricey (around $20-30 each) but the beauty is they can be set to a timer to turn on at night and would give a nice realistic looking glow (they even have "flames" that move or flicker). I do think you could turn this unique feature into something that gives the room character. Best of luck and please send a pic of what they end up doing.

Dede Ward thanked cameronlamm
  • dsummers1
    8 years ago
    Most people would catty corner the fireplace to the right corner, but if you really want to go big put the fireplace where the window is and put dual windows on each side of the fireplace!
  • shanandee
    8 years ago

Maybe if you remove the brick and replace it with a very small surround giving it room on each side. like bedroom fireplaces in historical houses? Then balance it with something on the other side?

Dede Ward thanked shanandee
  • Ali Hill
    8 years ago
    oh didn't realize it was a living room! decorated the right way and again painting the fireplace will make a huge difference! I made another sketch for you!
    Dede Ward thanked Ali Hill
  • sandy mor
    8 years ago
    Work around it .It's going to be quite cozy .Some one sent in a nice design.I would white wash it.Curtains would be to the left side.Romantic ,cozy, retreat room.Enjoy it.
    Dede Ward thanked sandy mor
  • Laura Curtis
    8 years ago
    had a friend with this issue she solved the balance issue with a built-in bench seat along the balance of the wall with back rest on the balance that did not have the window. because the bottom portion was bade of wood and hollow she used the space by building storage under cushions with hi get doors for firewood.
    Dede Ward thanked Laura Curtis
  • User
    8 years ago

Why spend money trying to make it work. Spend the same money to remove it. Going without one would be better.

• jaynehansen
    8 years ago
    I would minimize it but removing the brink, scale back the over all dimension and frame the firebox with marble, no mantle. I would also remove the hearth and make it flush with the floor and change it so it wasn't square; 45 degree angle on each side. And then wallpaper or stencil the entire walk and get some blinds that blend for the window.
    Dede Ward thanked jaynehansen
  • PRO
    Art-Faux Designs Inc.
    8 years ago

As a professional I would go with Ali Hill Design, Or just demo it. I think she did a great design with what was there

Dede Ward thanked Art-Faux Designs Inc.
  • Kevin
    8 years ago

Knock out the brick and re-build as a corner fireplace with a gas insert...

Dede Ward thanked Kevin
  • PRO
    Holmes by Design
    8 years ago
    Painting the brick is the easiest fix but I would wait until all is finished and furnished. This way you'll know what color will coordinate with her decor. Since this fireplace is going to stay, just embrace it. If feasible, create an A-symmetrical balance (on other side of window) with shelving, pictures and/or large pieces of furniture. Counter act with pictures or floating shelves on the wall, above the mantle... If this is the wall her tv will be on, then the furniture placement of sofa, chairs and rugs can help make the fireplace feel 'included' in the space rather than an after thought due to a remodel. Also, that entire wall is a great opportunity to be an accent wall. Embrace it. Paint the wall itself another color with a contrasting color for the brick. Remember! It does not have to be white. Be bold! Good luck!!
    Dede Ward thanked Holmes by Design
  • Ali Hill
    8 years ago
    the possibilities are endless without removing the fireplace. just a few more ideas I came up with. I may be having a little too much fun with this room! ☺
  • User
    8 years ago

I guess I just don't get all effort it would take to try to work with something that was never meant to be in that location originally. If that's a return air vent above the fireplace it will suck the smoke right out of that fireplace.

• ranchmama5
    8 years ago
    Where was the licensed home inspector during escrow to call out the non-operational fireplace? In the same vein, where was the city inspector to divulge the code violation?
    Safety before design, always!
  • Jennifer Wilson
    8 years ago

There's really no way to balance that particular problem without drawing attention to it, so given the choice and decent budget, I'd move or remove the window.

• User
    8 years ago

Remove the window? Yikes...how does that help a fireplace that is smashed in a corner? Wouldn't it look even more weird cause now it's the only focal point. I admit I have a thing for symmetry and balance.

Dede Ward thanked User
  • User
    8 years ago

Sledgehammer.

And a magnifying glass for the rest of the remuddling that they did.

• julesxoxo
    8 years ago
    Ali Hill, it's refreshing to see a helpful comment rather than telling a brand new home owner to start ripping her house apart or move. Well done. Your pics are some great examples.
    Dede Ward thanked julesxoxo
  • Jennifer Wilson
    8 years ago

Wow! FYI, I am also a new homeowner. I got stuck with a lemon myself last June and...I have a similar problem, (in fact problems all over the place, thanks to a lousy home inspector.) While not concerning a fireplace and a window, one of my home issues is similar, so I'm sorry if I offended but based on my own experience, sometimes the obvious, seemingly most expensive answer turns out to be the most viable solution. The fireplace is an expensive fix and you can always put candles in there if you wish to continue to feature. A window move, on the otherhand, is probably less expensive and better for resale in the long run. Trying to practice asymmetrical balance, using decorative items IMO, isn't going to solve the obvious visual problem here, not to mention possible ventilation problems from a fireplace near a window. Sorry for my suggestion, "julesxoxo" and "Idecor" but someone here actually asked for suggestions right? Why be so critical of others who wish to help?

• User
    8 years ago

Didn't mean to be critical Jen. Sorry you took it that way.

• terry toon
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

examples · More Info

What you need is some personality in that room, then the fireplace is much less quirky.

Dede Ward thanked terry toon
  • PRO
    Sognare Tile, Stone & Sinks Co.
    8 years ago

Consider adding a light colored ledgerstone/stackstone that gives it a presence! I think the red bricks makes the fireplace take over - a lighter shade will look nice! I know that is oddly placed, but sometimes strangeness adds character!

Dede Ward thanked Sognare Tile, Stone & Sinks Co.
  • Jennifer K
    8 years ago

The design challenge here is to take something asymmetrical and add balance. Though a sledgehammer might be the most straightforward approach, it's expensive and messy... and unnecessary, given a bit of creativity.

The easiest way to add balance is to add something of equal visual mass to the other corner. The obvious candidate is an entertainment unit. I've sketched something to give you an idea:

Put a large ottoman under the window and a hard valance over the window and the entire wall becomes one unit. You can face a couch towards that wall and put an arm chair by the fireplace but angled towards the TV. All that's left to do is decorate!

Dede Ward thanked Jennifer K
  • Ali Hill
    8 years ago
    Ok, one last design! I promise lol please excuse the red, my stylist wasn't working that well. Again, your focus is on the tv and fireplaces area. Its all in how you decorate and place furniture. It definitely works! I think the room has character. Just giving you ideas of different color choices.
  • Dede Ward
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Thank you Ali for the great room arrangement suggestions! They help a lot!!

• Ali Hill
    8 years ago
    you're very welcome! home designing is a passion of mine, landscaping as well.
  • luvourhome
    7 years ago

Wow, crazy fireplace! This is why people should not drink and do diy projects! You diy and then drink your beer ;-)

Since the budget is probably tight as a first home-owner, I would get an inspection to see if the fireplace is safe enough to use for winter. If not? Paint it so it vanishes into the wall and forget about it. Put candles in the open area and light those now and then or tack up a cheap piece of art to cover the hole. Save the bucks for a proper rebuild of that wall when budget allows. Make that a priority project and get a permit for the job to be allowed. Then hire a good fireplace person to rebuild it properly somewhere else (if desired).

Good luck!

• luvourhome
    7 years ago

@terry toon. Oh my. I'd need tranquilizers if I had to contend with that "personality," lol. That wallpaper alone is worse than the OP's fireplace!

And the window treatments--1990's meet Chinese take-out on speed. Wow, some people live in eccentric decor...no wonder I get so many headaches from scrolling through the stories on this site. Seriously.

I see now that if I do take an interior design course for a hobby later on, I'm sticking only to new interiors in modern homes with clients with modern tastes. Lol.

• Liz H
    7 years ago
    Major score, Ali Hill! You've very cleverly de-emphasized that fireplace! I always appreciate a solution that, while perhaps not ideal, is cheap and doesn't necessarily involve a sledgehammer.
  • reblcant
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

New homeowners, congratulations. They don't want to hear demo, or move it. Too much money. Ali Hill suggestions are great. You just need to balance the room and definitely paint the fireplace. Can go one ortwo shades darker than wall color? Don't paint it the same color as the walls, it will just look like a bump in the wall, feature it but be subtle. Or if walls will be a dark color, paint it with the same paint color as the woodworks? To feature it

Can purchase remote control Flameless candles or ones on timers and put them in the fireplace (pier 1 store). But get large candles not small ones. Electrical fireplace log insert?

Once you paint and place furniture in the room, it won't stick out like a sore thumb. Right now there is nothing in the room and the fireplace is all you notice. Don't stress, it will come together.

• beans4
    7 years ago

White wash the bricks, build bookshelves above the fireplace, above window and the lonely wall to the side of the window. Possibly build in a bench under the window, pad and cushions on that. Cozy up the whole wall.

• Kaitlyn Dasler
    6 years ago

Help! I love this house but HATE this fireplace placement. It doesn’t make any sense and hurts the flow of the house so much.

• julesxoxo
    6 years ago
    @kaitlyn Dasler
    You’d probably have better luck starting your own post. I like your room! The thing that sticks out to me is the mantel. I think a chunkier mantel in a more flattering color would “fix” your problem.
  • HU-620389313
    2 years ago

My fireplace is on a wall that juts out on a angle and I have no idea how to style furniture around it. should i keep the TV there?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    2 years ago

HU-620389313 Start a new posting and include pictures of your situation.