janedoe2012

Basement dig out - lowering basement floor

janedoe2012
8 years ago
I am having a little trouble getting estimates for this. One guy came from over an hour away. He seemed great, but never provided an estimate.

Another guy required me to pay for plans (a few thousand) and I ended up with plans that were not as detailed as I thought they should be for what I paid. I don't think they were construction drawings - not enough detail on electrical, plumbing, etc. And the estimate included windows, but no detail on the specs - just height and width.

Plus, his estimate was to totally renovate the basement, add a new exterior entry, all new windows, bathroom, cabinetry, etc. I tried to sit down with him and separate basics from the bells and whistles and it was impossible. It was a 24 page estimate, but half the items were zero'ed out. Also, he didn't consider the possibility of leaving a 2' deep perimeter ledge to avoid having to underpin the entire foundation perimeter. Long story short, I got concerned that I was dealing with a smoke and mirrors situation and passed on working with him. I think he as only interested in doing a 200k ++ luxury finished basement.

I don't want all that. I want a basement. With bathroom plumbing roughed in and probably radiant heat in a new concrete floor (separate system).

Simple sheet-rocked ceiling and basic electrical. All to code, all permits, not cutting corners, just very basic.

Currently I have a basement with max 6' headroom (front of house) and a dirt crawl space rear of house. The total area is about 50' x 34'. 20' x 50 is basement and 14' x 50 is 3' to 4' high dirt crawl space. There is a 4' high, 50' long concrete wall separating the basement and crawlspace.

Access is down narrow interior stairs and form an exterior Bilco door.

The house is a hundred years old and sprawling. Jacking it up is absolutely not an option.

Does anyone have any advice on how to find the best contractor for this job? Or a rough idea of what the job should cost? I know the answer is "a lot," but is this a 100k job or a 200k++ job? Does it really save money to leave a shelf around the perimeter? I am in an expensive area outside NYC.

I have done lots of renovation projects and I generally understand why things cost what they do. But this is beyond me - there are too many engineering details. How do I find someone I am comfortable with to do this job? I can't keep paying for estimates and I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Apologies if this isn't the right forum, but I have done about 100 internet searches and. I am still not clear on how to proceed with this. Would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this.

Comments (31)