anna_pensgen

Kitchen before & after!

AP
8 years ago

We just have to finish up some painting, pick and install a backsplash, install some lighting, finish putting knobs and doors on, some miscellaneous decorating ... & then we are DONE! i'm guessing it'll be ten years before those final items are checked off.

This is a 9 month DIY project, so we are feeling very thankful to have a working kitchen again!

Comments (123)

• Alexandra
    8 years ago
    I love the first one, the little white bricks. Love the sparkle. I would advise agaist gray for a backsplash...it will soon be out of style (like yellow went out after 2000's).
    AP thanked Alexandra
  • bratcat
    8 years ago

Love the 1st and 3rd picture, agree with azotova87, those gray tiles in the 2nd picture already look dated.

AP thanked bratcat
  • Idicula Samuel
    8 years ago
    I say the third one.
    AP thanked Idicula Samuel
  • Alexandra
    8 years ago
    Now, that I look at it, I am liking the 3rd one too.

Just a side question, is the herringbone backsplash out?
    AP thanked Alexandra
  • curlysue82
    8 years ago
    Wow...just stunning! We're about to work on our kitchen and either go big or go home basically. I'm curious about your stove and that faucet, details? Or did you mention it before?
    AP thanked curlysue82
  • AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

azotova..... I think the herringbone is out. As much as I love it now, I think I'll tire of it. And I think I need a little more sparkle. I think #3 here is the perfect combination of simple, classic, and a hint of non-offensive "bling". (although i also love the mini brick!)

curlysue, the faucet is by Perrin and Rowe and the range is by Bertazzoni. Those were our two biggest splurges of the project

• diyher
    8 years ago

I like 1 and 3 also, but the reason I don't like 2 grey is NOT because its grey, it's because it doesn't fit well with the counters and cabinets :) Colors come and go, what is out this year will be back in probably 5 years from now. Colors should never be considered in or out, it's what you want to match to your already completed room

AP thanked diyher
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    8 years ago

What an amazing transformation! I especially love the cabinets. I am sure you are loving your new kitchen! Thanks for sharing

AP thanked Stecki Construction
  • curlysue82
    8 years ago
    And to add to the last comment, do.what.you.want. More than likely whoever buys this home down the road, no matter how gorgeous, there will always be something a new owner wants to tweak. Your style is timeless to begin with, you didn't go loud and out there, but have fun with the tile and go with your gut. :)
    AP thanked curlysue82
  • PRO
    Devane Design
    8 years ago

Wonderful transformation!

AP thanked Devane Design
  • PRO
    Kitchen Designs Studio
    8 years ago

Love the greige cabinets! Great reno, magazine worthy!

AP thanked Kitchen Designs Studio
  • Alexandra
    8 years ago
    Any updates? Looking forward to see how the backsplash turned out.
    AP thanked Alexandra
  • AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Lol. Nope. We are still in the exact same spot. I need to finish installing the lights over the peninsula, install tile, and I'm probably going to swap out the main light... Then I promise I'll post an update!

• Sally VanV
    8 years ago

You sure added value to your home!!! Great vision

AP thanked Sally VanV
  • aries61
    8 years ago

Very nice kitchen. How do you like your Bertazzoni Range? The reason that I'm asking is that I remodeling my kitchen and that is one of my choices. Also, what brand dishwasher did you use?

Thanks

AP thanked aries61
  • AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

aries61... we LOVE the Bertazzoni Range! My husband is more of a cook than me, and he is obsessed with it.
    And our dishwasher is a KitchenAid, also great so far

• aries61
    8 years ago

Thanks for the information.

AP thanked aries61
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    8 years ago

Wow, what a great update! Looks awesome.

AP thanked Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
  • rowleygal
    8 years ago

Love, love, love your cabinet color choice. It's good to see something other than stark white. As to the tile, go with your heart. You are the one who has to love it, and if you don't love it now, you won't love it later.

AP thanked rowleygal
  • PRO
    Addition Building & Design, Inc.
    8 years ago

Very Nice!

AP thanked Addition Building & Design, Inc.
  • PRO
    TBS Construction Inc.
    8 years ago

Beautiful transformation! Great job!

AP thanked TBS Construction Inc.
  • Courtney Veiga
    8 years ago

That is an amazing transformation! Great job. I love kitchens with a window over the sink!

AP thanked Courtney Veiga
  • PRO
    Bassman Blaine Home
    8 years ago

We love to see transformations like this! Light and airy, truly a great space!

AP thanked Bassman Blaine Home
  • Ben Ellis
    8 years ago

@AnnaP Congratulations on a job very well done! Can I ask what hardware pulls you used on the cabinets? They look to be some sort of clear/crystal... Thanks!

AP thanked Ben Ellis
  • AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Hi Ben Ellis!

They are glass. Our house was built in 1929, and the glass knobs reflect the period of our home.

Fun fact: Glass knobs become popular after 1917 when the United States joined World War I. Metals that had been previously used for knobs (iron, brass, bronze) were needed to manufacture airplanes, ammo, and other war necessities. By 1920, knobs made from crystal and cut glass were very common, and they remained popular until American taste reverted back to metals in the 1950s.

Here are a few of the ones we considered. The one we ended up using was similar to the bottom left, but a hexagonal shape.

• aries61
    8 years ago

AnnaP, you should probably post this on the Gardenweb kitchen forum side of Houzz. I think the people on that forum would enjoy your kitchen too. I was going to post a link to this on there, but wasn't sure if you would get mad so I didn't.

AP thanked aries61
  • AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Will do! And maybe I'll throw some other fun remodel stuff in there to mix it up. :)

thanks aries

• Ben Ellis
    8 years ago
    Thanks Anna! My wife and I are in escrow to purchase a 1914 craftsman and it has these glass doorknobs (see img) on the doors which I really like. We plan to redo the kitchen at some point and I like the idea of these glass knobs. Appreciate the info!!
  • PRO
    S T U D I O | Y Y A N G
    8 years ago

Wonderful job on your kitchen!

• Wendy
    8 years ago

Anna, I have a Winchester crackle tile in porcelain and a sample door if you'd like to see them paired together. Unless you have made a decision on the backsplash already.

• jacobsgrammy
    8 years ago
    Gorgeous!!
  • AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Wendy... sorry I am just seeing your comment now. I would love to see a photo of the pair!
    Still no tile.... i feel i may never decide. Also stuck on some decisions with light fixtures.

• AP
    Original Author
    8 years ago

P.S. houzz has used my two photos at the top of this post in a facebook campaign. I'm happy to read all of your kind comments on here again.... since the comments on facebook are painful and quite negative. THANK YOU EVERYONE! :)

• zazfuzzroc
    8 years ago

Hi Anna, that's why I'm not on FB, Houzz is much better! :) Your kitchen is GORGEOUS... some might just be a bit jealous. ;) You did a fantastic job! :)

• Wendy
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Seriously? Your kitchen is gorgeous. Ignore the negative comments.

Winchester porcelain crackle tile w/ magnolia:

kitchen: flowing as one space · More Info

• PRO
    Vibrant Vision
    8 years ago

So beautiful. Great job.

• PRO
    Hamilton Klow Architects
    8 years ago

Everything looks great.

• Alexandra
    8 years ago
    Haters are always going to hate. The fact is, your kitchen is better than theirs. haha
  • PRO
    Mariano & Co., LLC
    8 years ago

Absolutely stunning! Beautiful transformation!

• Alexandra
    8 years ago

I think the mean comments are meant for the original kitchen. It was pretty ugly. haha

• PRO
    Kaplan Construction
    8 years ago

Amazing transformation! Great work!

• PRO
    Kitchen Magic
    8 years ago

This new design and color scheme is gorgeous! You have great taste. The shaker style door is gray is so sophisticated. the intricate design details large the large sink and angled countertop put this kitchen over the top. The wood floors also add an element of sophistication. You put a lot of thought into this design and it shows.

Contemporary Shaker Kitchen · More Info

• PRO
    Kootenia Homes and Remodeling
    8 years ago

thanks for removing the brick! great new kitchen!

• PRO
    Regal Construction & Remodeling Inc.
    8 years ago

Nicely done!

• PRO
    Bella Interiors
    8 years ago

What a great job! Amazing transformation!

• PRO
    123 Remodeling Inc.
    7 years ago

That is an beautiful kitchen renovation! I love the new layout! The new kitchen is spacious and it brings life to the house. Also, unlike the previous kitchen layout, the new kitchen have beautiful windows with an amazing view to the outdoors. Great job on the kitchen renovation!

• PRO
    KT tile
    7 years ago

It is hard to believe it's a same room

• PRO
    Solid Rock Landscape
    7 years ago

Amazing transformation. This looks like a brand new kitchen!

• PRO
    Whiski Kitchen Design Studio
    7 years ago

Amazing!

• PRO
    Fratantoni Interior Designers
    7 years ago

Fantastic!!