mazzolla

Need help with my kitchen window

mazzolla
11 years ago
I'm deciding on either roman shades, stain glass, or shutters

Comments (40)

• Stacy Ritchie
    11 years ago
    shutters is it, very classic and still can see outside, more light at the top of window
  • flymoma42
    11 years ago
    I love stained-glass windows but I would not choose them for this kitchen. I think shutters would look awesome, though.
  • mzlove
    11 years ago
    shutters first choice followed by roman shade!
  • Jamie Gifford
    11 years ago
    Roman shade.
  • Kathy Carter
    11 years ago
    shutters IT IS!!....BIg wide shutters
  • anitajoyce
    11 years ago
    Shutters or even plantation or mini blind.
  • PRO
    Designer Accents
    11 years ago
    Shutters compliment the style of this kitchen the best!
  • PRO
    Jill J. Wallace, Color Redesign
    11 years ago
    IMO the Roman shade keeps a cleaner line.
  • jennifergil81
    11 years ago
    I like the Roman Shade best
  • tersteve
    11 years ago
    Roman shade!
  • trip2fan
    11 years ago
    The half shutter is a cool idea. The other two options are lame.
  • PRO
    IN* D* Ex
    11 years ago
    Those plantation shutters look pretty but are a nuisance if you want to open them. Not enough space.
  • jansgirl
    11 years ago
    If the shade was the type you could lower from the top...I would think it would be fine. I like the option of being able to look out the window with the low shutters
  • PRO
    JMH Designs
    11 years ago
    A relaxed roman would be more practical here. Because your window is small your faucet is in the center of the window pane, you may have difficulties opening the shutters up to open your window.
  • PRO
    Stefanie Olsen
    11 years ago
    Shutters just above the water area will always be splattered.
  • Jane Turoczy
    11 years ago
    Roman shade. Cleaning shutters in a kitchen is maintenance.
  • Kristin
    11 years ago
    I love shutters, but for your kitchen I think Roman shades would be a more complimentary choice.
  • PRO
    Drapery and Home Makeover by Carlos Oliveira
    11 years ago
    Shades would add elegance and softness to your kitchen.
  • rkblstuve
    11 years ago
    Window coverings behind the sink WILL get splashed, so I would not recommend fabric. Get something that can be wiped clean. I love the shutters. I'd also consider 2" white faux wood blinds. They look like all wood, but are a combination of wood and vinyl, which can be good for areas that are around water.
  • sherrycknight
    11 years ago
    Shutters for sure....clean & crisp looking!
  • User
    11 years ago
    I just finished our kitchen renovation and considered EVERY option. Shutters were my choice but opening them was very clumsy. I did not want any fabric, roman shades or otherwise...too much upkeep with splashes.I ended up with a solar material flat roman shade. It is textured in the cabinet colors and granite tho little texture...just enough to make it interesting. It has a nice valance, nice folds, no hardware and just pushes up and down by hand. It blocks out an unattractive view

but is somewhat transparent so let's in a lot of light. The solar materials are greatly varied so you could find any color you wanted. I am very fussy, looked for a look time and it is the perfect solution. Simple but tasteful and functional...
  • joannamato
    11 years ago
    Shutters. You don't need a lot of room to open shutters. They open like blinds. Shutters are also easy to clean.
  • PRO
    Simply Inspired Design
    11 years ago
    Modern Cafe Drapery?
  • lauriehorse
    11 years ago
    First you have to ask yourself what is the purpose of the window treatment? Is it for light control, privacy, shield a bad view or just soften up the hard lines of the kitchen??? The answer to those questions will help me determine the right treatment for your window. These are the questions I used to ask all my customers/ or designers before they chose any type of treatment for any window. As you can see there are endless possibilities to the ideas of treating the window, but answering yhese questions will narrow down the possibilities
  • Carmen Collins
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    This is what I have in my kitchen, it allows light to filter through, but still gives you privacy as required. You can choose from a variety of patterns to complement your back splash. The material is water resistant as well.
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    11 years ago
    I agree 100% with lauriehorse. Everyone has offered their opinions on choices but you have not told us your needs. That is the first question that needs answered.
  • mazzolla
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I just want to have a finished touch to the kitchen. The window looks out to family room
  • PRO
    JMittman Designs
    11 years ago
    Ok. I think it looks fine as is. I'd lean toward the shutter if you want something on it. I thought I could see another room behind it. A shutter would look good from that view as well. Do you have the space to open them? You could also do one louver as well.
  • PRO
    Blinds Direct Canada
    11 years ago
    I would not recommend doing a Roman Shade over a kit sink or any fabric blinds for that matter. You run the risk of splash ups and you might damage the fabric. A PVC Shutter is a great choice in that space it has a 25 yr warranty and it never goes out of style.

http://www.blindsdirectcanada.com/shutters-toronto/pvc-polysatin-shutters.html
  • lauriehorse
    11 years ago
    I would then choose either a valance that frames the window ( not a topper) or a stationary roman in a fabric that compliments the style and colors in the kitchen ( and surrounding areas if it's an open concept room plan)and also coordinates with the family room if it is full view. What I mean by a topper is like a simple rod pocket that becomes an eyebrow and not much of a statement. Alot depends on your budget as to go to a truly custom look or modifying a readymade to look custom. These treatments will add softness to a room with alot of hard surfaces and you don't have to worry about sink splashes. Shutters give a clean look but don't add softness. Also they may not open all the way due to your faucet and also if you want to flip the window to clean both sides from the kitchen inside mounting the shutter as shown in your pic will not allow you to do so. Also shutter frames/stiles do take up the window opening cutting down on some of your view especially when inside mounted. Hope this helps
  • PRO
    A New Look Interior Design
    11 years ago
    If you do shutters do the whole window, you can always keep the top open. The window will look taller not chopped in half!
  • PRO
    Paradise Restored Landscaping & Exterior Design
    11 years ago
    I like the shade as it could be up during day and ad the natural light - however, at night I like the window covered as I would use the sink at night quite a bit. The white shade is cute but would get numerous stains after awhile - so the shutters it is however, wouldn't necessarily want them closed all the time either! I am a bit wishy-washy on this!
  • Heidi Dunbar
    11 years ago
    I have shutters and up stairs rooms I have them still but changed them to vinyl because my wood once are peeling and cheeping and cracking do to a lot of sun, so I would not recommend them in that tips of exposure, I love the roman shades, thats what I will be doing in my Living Room and Dinning, in the kitchen I have a huge window at the sink area and I will be doing a natural fiber of a rolled down shade. Bellow is my kitchen, dinning room, living room doors (curtains for this area) and windows by the front door. I hope this helped :-)
  • missangel99
    11 years ago
    2 1/2 faux blinds in white with a decorative valance.
  • mazzolla
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    I want to thank everyone who reply for my kitchen. How to finish the window .
  • jansgirl
    11 years ago
    If your family room is on the other side of the window and privacy isn't the issue here--then I'd go with the fabic just at the top in a fun geometric print.....and I'd take the glass out so it is more open to the other room.
  • winterriver
    11 years ago
    Why do you have a window into your family room? Have you considered removing the window sash, leaving the opening?
  • brensters
    11 years ago
    No question about it. Effective solution and instant charm!
  • Pan Pack
    11 years ago
    All about shutters