ldr17

The greener the merrier?

Lakshmi
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
Hi Guys,

I am looking to decorate my home office and would really love to add some indoor plants in the space, especially on my desk. I have more artificial light than natural. Could anyone suggest some really lush greens ? Anything other than succulents. Also any tips on incorporating plants into my space would be so great!

I like how the plants are displayed in this photo..
Dulux 2015 Colour Forecast · More Info

Comments (18)

• neotoma
    9 years ago
    I can't help, but I'm awaiting answers from people who can with interest.
  • PRO
    Wongajong @ Baw Baw
    9 years ago
    If you have sufficient light, you can't go past the maidenhair fern for wonderful, restful colour and a lightness and airiness in foliage (see far left of the photo you liked). If you have a number of pots, you can rotate them indoors/outdoors to keep them healthy, and always have a good specimen gracing your work area.
    Lakshmi thanked Wongajong @ Baw Baw
  • wuff
    9 years ago
    Phal (moth) orchids, I am about to get a couple of mine to flower for the second time. Your office looks light so should do well. I mist them most days, which is easy and once a month or so take them outside and water with orchid fertiliser. I am very excited that they are developing flowering stems. Also zed plant good, hard to kill, less water good luck. I love plants inside also
    Lakshmi thanked wuff
  • PRO
    Lakshmi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thank you so much guys! This has been great help!!! :)
  • jayvall
    9 years ago
    I have just bought myself a fiddle leaf fig. It is beautiful indoors. Easy to grow and looks gorgeous. A bit pricey but nice and big to fill up a corner nicely.
    Lakshmi thanked jayvall
  • Sasha G.
    9 years ago
    ^ I completely agree. I'm waiting to add the fiddle leaf fig to my living room. It's gorgeous!

Houzz Melbourne · More Info
  • Marj Kibby
    9 years ago
    If you like the look of multiple small plants on a shelf, then concentrate on a set of interesting pots that you can slip plants into, and then compost them when they are past their prime. Treat them like cut flowers, they are probably cheaper. Then splurge on one feature plant that will last in the low light conditions, Fiddle Leaf Fig, Rhapis Palm, Dracaena, Peace Lily. Look for plants with large dark green leaves - they are better at photosynthesis.
    Lakshmi thanked Marj Kibby
  • PRO
    Timandra Design & Landscaping
    9 years ago
    Where are you positioned Lakshmi? Some of the plants mentioned are for a warm semi-tropical climate and wont grow in the southern climes.
    As mentioned above, the maiden hair fern and the terrarium are great ideas and will both work if you are in a cooler spot. And terrariums are coming back into vogue.
    Alison
    Lakshmi thanked Timandra Design & Landscaping
  • Fiona
    9 years ago
    The Fiddle Leaf Fig as suggested is a fantastic indoor plant as is the Raphis Palm also Parlour Palms are very forgiving easy going plants
    Lakshmi thanked Fiona
  • Marj Kibby
    9 years ago

Timandra, climate isn't a major factor with indoor plants is it?

• buffpoint
    9 years ago
    I agree, the Fiddle Leaf and Raphis Palm are good looking indoor plants.....watch your watering and keep the pot off the floor using pot feet otherwise you might end up with a damaged floor.
    Lakshmi thanked buffpoint
  • PRO
    Lakshmi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    @Timandra Design & landscaping. Alison I live in Sydney, will this affect my plant choice as much? Im in love with the Fiddle Leaf Fig but not sure where to buy them? Also can they survive a low light space as well? Thinking I could get a large one for my stairwell area.
  • PRO
    Lakshmi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Thanks everyone for all the comments! This has been such great help!
  • Marj Kibby
    9 years ago

Lakshmi, Most plants that can survive indoors come from subtropical climates where they are accustomed to growing in dappled light and dealing with fluctuating day/night temperatures. The Fiddle Leaf Fig is apparently Sydney's most popular houseplant, see http://thevelvetdoe.com/fiddle-leaf-fig/

• PRO
    9 years ago
    The Fiddle Leaf Fig is a superb plant and will grow in Sydney. Just make sure that you don't over water it.
    In subtropical regions you have a wide choice of indoor plants to choose from - lucky you!
    Alison
    Lakshmi thanked Timandra Design & Landscaping
  • PRO
    Lakshmi
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Any idea where I could possibly by them from at a decent rate?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Plants, especially bigger ones, are not cheap. There is no way to circumvent the cost I'm afraid to say unless you know someone in the industry who can help you out. Cheap plants from retail outlets are cheap for a reason - they are unhealthy being the usual cause. Pot bound specimens are usually sold at discount prices which should also be avoided.