ljpops

Skirting board choice in contemporary extension

ljpops
9 years ago
We are extending our 1930s house with a contemporary addition at the back, and changing the layout of the adjoining bit of the downstairs. The interior will be contemporary, but in the parts of the house we aren't reworking we will retain much of the 1930s features (leaded lights in the windows, parquet and the skirtings - lambs tongue profile, apparently!).

One dilemma I am having is do I match the skirting in the new section (i.e. use lambs tongue profile) or go contemporary? I am concerned that it is a bit fake to put original style skirting in an area that is clearly a new addition.

Any thoughts?

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Nyc Ceramics Kitchens & Bathrooms
    9 years ago
    What floor covering do you plan on having?
  • ljpops
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Porcelain tile in the kitchen diner (original footprint of house but a new layout) and carpet in the living room (new extension).

If it were just the extension to think about I would probably go for flat, contemporary skirting as this is more in keeping with the newness, but I'm a bit thrown by having the kitchen diner area which is original footprint but being significantly updated.

Perhaps I'm thinking far too much about this!!
  • PRO
    Nyc Ceramics Kitchens & Bathrooms
    9 years ago
    The tiled area could have a matching tiled skirting. Would having matching skirting as per existing look out of place in new living area?

Contemporary option - shadow gap between walls & flat skirting, set flush with wall?
  • ljpops
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    I hadn't considered a tile skirting, thanks!
  • PRO
    Goodwin Architects
    8 years ago

I would advise that you retain the original skirting boards in any of the original rooms that you have enough of the original skirting for but the new areas and the modern interventions should have a modern approach; I like to use a simple square profile timber skirting and paint it in a satin finish paint to match the colour of the walls. This way the skirting visually merges with the walls, making the room feel more spacious. Also, you are not going into competition with the more detailed original skirting mould.

ljpops thanked Goodwin Architects
  • silyab53
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

If you live by the sea ROPE skirting may look good and give a strong identity to the extension. Looks fab in the Solent Forts.

Otherwise, how about being really daring - NO skirting!!! The plaster should be good and strong, so why spoil lovely contemporary lines with a lump of wood???

Good luck if you haven't done it by now.

• Jonathan
    8 years ago
    As long as the new skirting is a similar proportion it doesn't have to match.
    ljpops thanked Jonathan