combine

Help me finish my Master bedroom

combine
9 years ago
Hi there. I am about half way through completing (decorating) our master bedroom. Walls are Revere Pewter, which now look more brown than Gray since I hung headboard yesterday. The crib is going soon I hope, and our plan is to have two chairs in that area to allow for TV viewing directly across. The bedding is linen which looked grey yesterday, again til I hung the headboard, and now it looks brown. It's new and I like it a lot so what I need help with is how to pull this room together with end tables, lamps, chairs (I have the curtains for the large window that I have not hung yet and they are another shade of grey). The mirrored dresser would look nice with lamps, however we do not need more lighting and the location of it is such that we would not use them. Picture is staying....on the old thread it was suggested that the size is not good, but I actually LOVE IT. I can see it as soon as I wake up and it makes me smile. Strange but true :). I also plan to purchase simple white roller shade for the two narrow windows. They can not be seen unless you are right in the bedroom. Okay...that's a good start for discussion right? Oh YA...I should say that although many think it's boring, I LOVE the monochromatic scheme of this room. It's my experience on here, that it is helpful to post some pics of a couple of rooms on same floor to help you get a feel for my house. It's a very old farm house. Fieldstone. Thanks in advance!

Comments (88)

• combine
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Abbyjean! You're fast and your post had me smiling. Thanks so much? Cori, I posted measurements on here for the area for tables. I have 4feet plus 2 inches on EAITHER side before closet. I also posted a pic of closet open to give an idea of space to. Does that help at all? I'll have to bring one home from a store to see for sure. Thanks for helping me shop! Let's get started!
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago

Just have to know....did you design your kitchen? I have to see more of it. It may be my most favorite ever! And I have only seen this much of it.

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Combine, first of all, I love your monochromatic color scheme, headboard, painting, and floors. I am new to the discussion so sorry if someone already mentioned this, but I'm not sure I love the different color of the headboard and bed....My eye is going to both places...First, to the black frame and then to the beautiful gray upholstered headboard. The black is pulling my eye away from what I think should be the focal point....the headboard and making the room feel heavy. Have you thought about painting the bed in a gray to match the headboard. I think this would make it feel more cohesive? I do love your mirrors and think taller lamps and larger nightstands would look nice in your room. Love your ideas of bedding. Great space.

combine thanked User
  • combine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Abbyjean, yes I did design the kitchen. every square inch, but as usual, made lots of mistakes and wish i had sought professional advice on a few things. Brother!! I could NEVER tell my husband this, but now that it's done, i want to do it all over again and make some changes. I learned that's just how I am so although I love my home and i am really content with everything, I've learned that I really like the process and am always changing how I see things and want things. I also have this "thing" where once a room is complete I know exactly what's wrong with it and know how to make it perfect. Always too late so I feel that every room could be just right if I could do it once more. Im telling you, its craziness! for some reason I can't see it for what it is until its all done, even if I look at it on paper for months and pretend Im walking around in it...anyway, welcome to my brain. It's a busy place. I appreciate your compliments on it. You are very kind. We had a lot of things that we had to work around in this kitchen. I should find a picture of the BEFORE and share it in before and after. Its drastic!

• combine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh boy. anyone else see the problem with the black. hadn't seen that, but I see what you're saying. Funny, it's original colour matched the floor pretty well, but I stained it before I moved it into this room. I could re stain it, but I thought maybe i would put a bench there to hide that. Much easier solution. You can't see the sides of the bed really at all, so Im not worried about that. Thanks Karen

• abbyjean
    9 years ago

You know, I do not think there is ever a time that we can consider a room DONE! It is always evolving, as is your kitchen and each room in this home. And that is a good thing. Little changes are always fun and freshen up things again. Not big things, but the fun little fluffy ones. I love kitchens most of all!

combine thanked abbyjean
  • abbyjean
    9 years ago

I like the black and it grounds the bed. AND you are looking for black side tables, too, so they will go together. Gray and black.....nice partnership.

• User
    9 years ago

Combine...you sound like me...I love to design my own space and make mistakes along the way and then see them after the fact. I can so relate. I always second guess every decision I make and want to change everything...constantly. Decorating is an on-going process, right! However, I must say, your space is pretty perfect, and I don't think that you need to re-stain the bed....Once you have your bench at the foot of the bed, you will not even notice the black. Finish your room first and enjoy ;-) Can't wait to see the pictures when you are finished. Or as my friend says..."we are never finished." lol

• combine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh I know! Seriously, I understand what you're saying. second guessing is what I do all the time... there are a few things I am always really sure about. the rest, not so much.

• Rina
    9 years ago

Good morning. Oh, crumbs, I'm working on deadline today and can't possibly read the discussion, so making a sensible comment is v difficult. A couple of quick points referring back -- I like the mirrors. They are bold. But as you say at the moment you have nothing to anchor them. Remember, too, that it's a bit like trying to look like the model on a magazine cover. She's had every imperfection photoshopped out. Rooms photographed for decor glamour shots are often brilliantly lit -- look how often all the room lights are on, but then there's additional lighting too.

The aubergine chairs -- I like those because the colour is so subtle it is virtually neutral. It just adds another dimension. I don't think they would look at all alarming. But if you do decide to go that way, make sure that the retailer lets you try out in the room anything you are considering buying before you commit.

• Rina
    9 years ago

PS Yes, I'd match the colour of the bed with the night stands.

• jay_baby123
    9 years ago
    Looks great so far! I would agree on some night stands for storage and hanging lamps as well. I would recommend maybe a pure white shag rug to go underneath/around the bed. Or maybe a pair of runners along the sides. Other than that I LOVE he color scheme and the picture with he trees, keep up the great work!
  • PRO
    Timothy Rivers Interiors
    9 years ago

Hey there! You are off to a great start...

I think you really stuff a nice rug....and an amazing bedding ensemble..

Check out Chandra Rugs and Eastern Accents

Happy Designing!

I have a few blog posts that may help you out..

www.timothyriversinteriors.com/blog

• Susan Davis
    9 years ago

Perfect so far!

I see black night stands too, but I really think you need a bedside chest and not a table; in other words minimal legs and more drawers. If you look at your inspiration pics all the chests are substantial. Lamps probably 27 - 30 inches tall.

Have you considered putting a sofa where the crib is? Something leggy with an end table and table lamp on one side and floor lamp on the other side and a cocktail table...maybe oval and rounded pieces to add softness; sort of French looking.

Soft gauzy floor length curtains on black iron rods at each window for more softness. Subtle but strong.

combine thanked Susan Davis
  • PRO
    Beverly Vosko Interiors and Remodeling
    9 years ago

I think you need a pair of matching black or dark grey nightstands that are nearly the same height as the top of your mattress. Having 2 nightstands that are different and different heights look unbalanced. And I agree the mirrors are too much for space. A pair of lovely matching black and white prints - or prints in primary colors will look better. Also getting a chest of drawers to match the nightstands will look wonderful.

combine thanked Beverly Vosko Interiors and Remodeling
  • combine
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi ladies...Yes, I agree that a chunkier look for night stands is better here than something dainty for sure! Looking on websites for second hand things i can paint or stain black. Not finding anything yet. I did finally buy a rod for the curtains though. I have had my curtains for months and had to save for the rod. It's up now and looks good. Every little thing adds so much to the space. I did think of a couch (to answer a question) where the crib is. I would prefer two chairs, but I will hopefully be moving some furniture around soon from other rooms and I happen to have two grey chairs and a grey couch. I will have to move them in there to see what they look like. The couch is darker grey and almost looks blue at times so Im not sure it'll work; we will see. Thanks for your imput

• J J
    8 years ago

Any updates to share?

• Kelli Shimizu
    8 years ago

I would suggest a rug at the foot of your bed. It looks great so far though!

• Julia Wallace
    8 years ago

I love the color and styles! I would suggest adding a small ottoman to the edge of your bed, it would be a nice touch!

• Combine
    8 years ago

Both great ideas. The crib is gone now so also looking for chairs to add to the space. This is an old old post but Im very slow so haven t done much at all

• PRO
    Paige O'Coin
    8 years ago

You need some interest and color and maybe a rug to warm up and add more interest to the space!

• PRO
    Paige O'Coin
    8 years ago

Or even add a duvet something to add some pattern or color :)

• Combine
    8 years ago

love the rug and pillow a lot

• Debra W
    8 years ago

Following, because I love your house and looking forward to seeing how you finish the master.

• combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Thanks DebraW. I'll send an updated pic soon
  • Tiffany Henderson
    8 years ago
    Where is your kitchen ceiling medallion from? Lovely home!
  • combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    The medallions are original to the house. There are 3 in the living room (above), one in kitchen and one in the front foyer. They are all plaster and over 130 years old. There's another one in the hallway upstairs. They are lovely, but no matter what you do, there are always cracks around them. We've had the ceilings skimmed and painted but the big cracks always show themselves again
  • combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Here are pics of the update
  • abbyjean
    8 years ago

Oh, no! No pics? Or is it my computer?

• User
    8 years ago

Did you forget to attach the pictures? Can't see them either.

• combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Nope, it's me as usual. I guess I tried to put too many on at once....trying again
  • combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Soooo...we are storing a couple of chairs for a friend which happen to look great in here. The crib is finally gone and my goal was to have chairs here anyway so this helps me get used to it. Still no side tables found in my budget but I'm always on the hunt at second hand stores and the local auction. Open to pillow ideas as I stole these from another room. I love the taupe and gray in here....thought about adding a bit of plum, but I'm happy to keep it super neutral! So calm! Should the tree go? Also need a throw for bottom of bed too
  • abbyjean
    8 years ago

No crib makes such a difference and that window was made for chairs right there! Oh, gosh, I love this room and your color scheme is my favorite, especially for right now. And the tree? Hello, sunshine, and it stays! LOL

• combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Just more pics of same thing
  • combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Oh wait! I took the one picture to show the ceiling. I need a light! No idea what to look for. Please keep in mind this is a farmhouse ....nothing too modern ....or too expensive. Thank you!!
  • combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    Okay....ill keep the tree there except when the cows are in the pasture....I like to see them! That's only a tiny bit of the year . Thanks for your input
  • abbyjean
    8 years ago

Cows in the pasture! I love it! What a home you have!!! True farmhouse!!!

• User
    8 years ago

Your room looks amazing, combine! I love the chairs and plant in the window. Even if you find a small table to place between the 2 chairs, I would find another place for the plant in the room. Love the soothing color scheme!

• combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I would like a small table there to set my coffee....good idea
  • abbyjean
    8 years ago

If you had a small and sturdy stool, it might work under the plant to have it be a bit higher with the windows and get a little of the fullness away from the bottom. A small round stool might work for your coffee, too??? It would need to be higher, of course, but nothing big. Maybe a book could fit on it, too. Do you have any garden stools?

• combine
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    I don't have a garden stool, bit I'll look around the house to see what I can find
  • combine
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I know it has been a looooong time, but I found these side tables yesterday and wanted your opinion. Will they work?
  • combine
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Abbyjean?
  • combine
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I started a new thread for this: "Need help with bedside tables"
  • User
    7 years ago

Hi combine. Are the side tables at least as wide as the width of the mirror hanging above. If so, I think they could work. If not, I would try to find a bedside table that's wider. Also, be sure to measure the height to make sure the table is at least as heigh as the mattress.

Can you post the link to your new thread? I couldn't find it.

• combine
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi! Thanks for responding. The tables are 2 feet wide, a couple inches less than mirror. They are a couple inches taller than mattress. Know my mirrors are too wide, but I have to keep them. I am trying to make it work. If I went wider with a table, I'd have trouble opening my closet door :(. How do I post the link to the new thread for you?
  • combine
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    It's the top one....does that help at all?
  • User
    7 years ago

Thanks Ann :-)

• combine
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Yes, thanks Ann. I'll look to that thread now.