redhart2

This is a fabulous fence! What's holding it together?

Cor-Ten Cattails Sculptural Fence · More Info

Comments (26)

• PRO
    Archer & Buchanan Architecture, Ltd.
    11 years ago
    Thank you Linda! The steel stanchions have an engineered steel connection to a concrete footing underground.
  • atometi
    11 years ago
    WOW! VERY UNIQUE!
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thank you Atometi
  • rickv55
    11 years ago
    Diddo to Polly's comment. This is a very unique design that the designers and engineers can take pride! This is a timeless design of form and function.
  • pointbridge
    11 years ago
    Can this be done with another material, like wood - dark wood fence?
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    colin0308, the fence could potentially be made in another material such as wood. Steel was selected for this design because we did not want to see any horizontal supports, the blades would be anchored underground and the clients wanted a material with low maintenance. With wood, even pressure treated wood, it would require maintenance to prevent moisture damage with its direct exposure to the ground.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thank you polly and rick! Polly, you described the fence just as we had envisioned!
  • mikeintheaerie
    11 years ago
    This is style meets function like I have never seen. It is inspiring.
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thank you mikeintheaerie!
  • Meesh
    11 years ago
    I adore this fence idea. I agree with all the above comments, so deserving! Congratulations. Here are my questions now, since we been looking to do a fence around our wooded "deer run" property for years I would love to copy you (best form of flattery). How tall is the fence? What is the distance between each steel? Would you recommend aluminum or a more economical product than steel that durable and easily obtainable? Thank you!!!!
  • tjroberts26
    11 years ago
    First of all, fantastic work!!! Great design. Are the steel slats embedded in a continuous ribbon of concrete then, like a footing??
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thank you TJ! Yes, the steel blades are essentially embedded into a continuous concrete footing with a custom engineered connection.
  • coocoocouture
    11 years ago
    Outstanding... this took my breath away. Bravo!
  • freedomgirl
    11 years ago
    Fantastic!
  • Catherine
    11 years ago
    Stunning!
  • cbnnfl
    11 years ago
    WOW!!!!!!!! i hate fences but this one is a masterpiece.... congratulations on an amazing design..
  • PRO
    11 years ago
    Thank you all for the great comments!
  • pevered
    11 years ago
    I also was drawn to this beautiful fence. Amazing!
  • slypilon
    11 years ago
    What is the install method. Are the slats fitted into a metal base and concrete poured afterwards?
  • veteranww2
    10 years ago
    I say the most with the least: Ditto every contributors comments
  • veteranww2
    10 years ago
    What is the cost per foot?
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    Each of the blades is secured in a poured concrete foundation about 2 ft deep. Because there are no horizontal supports the blades actually become kenetic and move with the wind like cattails, hence the name "Cor-Ten Cattails" fence.
  • PRO
    9 years ago
    Unfortunately we are not able disclose the cost per sf of this custom fence.
  • Joni Goff
    6 years ago
    Can this fence be done in vinyl?
  • PRO
    6 years ago

Joni, no, vinyl would not have the structural stability to perform in this application.