6hues

Best camera for interior photography?

6Hues Architecture Studio
11 years ago
last modified: 11 years ago
Hello.

I’m an interior designer from India and am looking to buy a DSLR for shooting before and after pictures of my projects. I am looking for a camera which is great at shooting in low light and a nice wide-angle lens to go with it. Support for a wide aperture range would be a nice bonus.

I’m a beginner, both with DSLR photography and interior design, so my budget is pretty low, and it would be nice to get some entry level—yet decent enough to not be a waste of money—suggestions.

I currently use a Canon PowerShot SX10 IS, and though it’s decent enough, I crave a little more control than it provides, as well as better low light and wide angle shooting.

Thanks.

Comments (3)

• jakestir
    11 years ago
    If you're looking for the best, I'd say the Canon 5d mark3 with the Canon 17mm tilt/shift lens. But that might be overkill for your needs and budget.
    The Canon T3i or Nikon D5100 would both be good options. A tripod would be more important than a fast aperture lens. Keeping the camera perfectly level is very important when using a wide angle lens. Plus with a tripod you can shoot longer exposures in low light and still get sharp photos. Shooting on a tripod at f/8 will be better than shooting handheld at f/2.8 anyway.
    If you get too wide you'll get distortion at the edges of the frame. But if you want really wide, look for something in the 10-12mm range. Just make sure it's NOT a fisheye lens.
  • PRO
    6Hues Architecture Studio
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    Thank you. That is very useful advice. I am leaning towards the Nikon D5100 myself (the Canon T3i isn’t available in India and the Canon 5D Mark III is way too expensive for me), but is the Sony SLT-A57K a worthy enough contender?

As for the tripod, is the GorillaPod SLR-Zoom worth a look? http://joby.com/gorillapod/slrzoom
  • jakestir
    11 years ago
    That Sony DSLR would be fine. But I would get a full size tripod, not a Gorilla pod.