hannahshipley

Would You Purchase This Funky Sofa?

Hannah S.
11 years ago
Ok, I need a few opinions! This is probably going to be a "love it or hate it" situation, but at the price I could get this retro, mustard yellow sofa -- around $250 - I think I want to give it a go!

Our style is already pretty eclectic, but I've never ventured into yellow territory before. We have light gray walls (Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter) and dark hardwood floors. So, what do you think!?

Comments (76)

• punini
    11 years ago
    Oh, I love it! The color is awesome, I just painted my bathroom this color, (BM - hathaway gold), and it goes great with grey. Sorry, I digress... what shape is the fabric in, can you get away with steam cleaning it?
  • speechgirl70
    11 years ago
    I like it as is - I love anything that makes a statement. If it speaks to you - go for it! You'll make it work.
  • Related Discussions

Sofas and curtains Ideas

Q

Comments (13)
    Rowe Furniture has very clean line sofas that I think would be an appropriate scale for this room. LOVE the red feature wall. You do need to bring the red into the room but knowing how you want the room to feel can help determine a color palette. If you want the room to have energy and "pop", try a split-complementary or triadic color scheme. If you want it to be more relaxed and harmonious, I would suggest an analogous color scheme.
    ...See More

Need suggestion for my new first home!

Q

Comments (9)
    First, I would ask the builder to give you the dimensions of the furniture used in the plan. Since they've already done the legwork-you will know which pieces will fit. Many times folks go the the furniture store and end up with a huge sectional and it over powers the room. Second, just get what you love! You have to live there. Start to create an idea book in Houzz. You'll start to see a pattern. Then just find a sofa like the one in your pic that is in your price range. Just keep repeating until you have all your pieces. Same thing with wall decor (which I would do last). Have fun!
    ...See More

curtain and wall colour for black sofa and grey and silver cushin

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello Seema, This color combination may be used with a lot of colors. Do you mind sharing the pics of the Sofa and the room along with the dimensions please. Thanks, Nitin CORNERSTONE DESIGNS Bangalore
    ...See More

Help me decorate my living room :)

Q

Comments (83)
    that is what i have added if you can see the pic above.. want some suggestions on partition that i can use between dining and sitting
    ...See More
  • Crystal Wall
    11 years ago
    It looks awesome. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Also, I love grey and gold/yellow together. :)
  • anitarlee
    11 years ago
    Yes! Lines are great. Definitely eclectic. Won't see this one in the showroom. Have fun :)
  • kschamber
    11 years ago
    I love the Contempo look of the sofa. It looks old and new at the same time. BUT... Is it comfortable and will the dog like it? Those are the filters i would strain it through.
  • defelilo
    11 years ago
    last modified: 11 years ago
    Paint only the wall behind the sofa purple, that makes it the feature wall. look at how perfect these colors compliment each other
  • JoAnn Nevins
    11 years ago
    Wow, yes, if you have the big bucks for upholstering this could turn into something spectacular and since the color never comes across on the internet, maybe it would work with a purple wall. If not, needs recovering. Are you going to work the room around this piece???
  • PRO
    Nicole White Designs Interiors LLC
    11 years ago
    Sofa is amazing. Negotiate a bit more. Never hurts. It will NOT cost thousands to reupholster! You can source great fabric for under $20 a yard and find a local upholsterer who will redo it for a great price. Happy to meet another kindred spirit/fanatic of grey/yellow. Good luck.
  • joeymurphy
    11 years ago
    I would jump on it! Add a few funky printed pillow and keep the original upholstery, but clean it of course. I have 2 orange 1971 chairs that I put in my living room that had people questioning my taste... looks awesome! This is a fun funky piece of furniture... but keep that in mind when playing with colors. Otherwise, u will take the fun out!! :)
  • corbyart
    11 years ago
    Find a graphic rug with your yellow ochre and gray wall colors in it as a focal point. The rug will make it look like it was the first love and the sofa and wall colors were pulled from it, instead of the other way around. Get large artwork and maybe a large mirror. Brass/gold color hardware and frames will repeat the ochre in the room. After the rug, pick out some decorative pillows for the sofa. Depending on the art and the rug, decide whether you want to use solid colors from them or get some as close to the color of the fabric on the sofa as you can and give them interesting details: ruffled, pleated, mitered, welted, tassled, text/fonts/prose, etc. all the same size...you don't want the pillows to compete with the rug and art, in case they are focal points. Hope the cushion is comfortable, if it isn't...it would be good to recover and have a nice thick foam/down cushion. Good luck. I love the shape.
  • Laurie _Sloan_Boughaba
    11 years ago
    In a perfect world I would replace the fabric.......but if I didn't have the funds I would love and cool the gold down with Greystar
  • Laurie _Sloan_Boughaba
    11 years ago
    Gray.....I meant grey.....gr-r-r
  • susievan
    11 years ago
    I would buy it in a heartbeat and use a great company to clean it. It may just come out looking fabulous. If not, then you can always recover later.
  • PRO
    This Staged House
    11 years ago
    Go with off white walls ( gray lake 2138-70 from Benjamin moore). Use accent/decorative pieces in silver- grey and yellow of varying depths of color.....they DO NOT have to match the couch exactly and it is better they do not. I would suggest cushions with perhaps chevron patterns in grey and white. A glass and silver coffee table would also look stunning in front of this piece. This piece of furniture also lends itself to an art deco era and would go beautifully with a mirrored piece of furniture ......perhaps side tables.
    And i must say, i love the piece......it is such a great find.
  • PRO
    Artisan Upholstery Studio
    11 years ago
    Absolutely, buy it!! It's not that expensive to have a sofa like this recovered, and besides, it looks as though you can get a few years out of it before you make any major decisions like that. It's actually much less expensive to buy an old piece and re-upholster it than to buy the same quality piece made today.
  • bporrazzo
    11 years ago
    The couch bones and color are great, especially with grey walls. If $$$ is an issue, just have it steam cleaned and save the upholstery for another day. The right accessories can make this a complete show stopper!!
  • Colleen Amling
    11 years ago
    Yes! It's fantastic. I may end up costing as much or more than a new sofa to have it reupholstered, but you'll have a truly fantastic, unique piece!
  • angora
    11 years ago
    Nice sofa, i think you don't have to recover it. Color is perfect for grey walls and dark floor. I made a college for u, here is modern wallpapers with drawing rhombus in grey&white colors, white pilasters in traditional style, modern dresser and pedestal, white carpet and different sizes and shapes frames.
  • portpiro
    11 years ago
    Sorry but it doesn't do a thing for me. I just don't like sofas without arms. How do you snuggle up with a cushion and a throw in mid winter without an arm to rest your cushion against?
  • PRO
    Vikrant Sharma Homez
    11 years ago
    This sofa looks in distress , so why buy something , when you have to do so much to bring it to life , if the budget is a Issue , why not wait for a Sale to Happen sometime soon .
  • clairefromthecolonies
    11 years ago
    They don't make them like they used to! I just finished a re-upholstery project on a late 1970s era long sofa and love seat. I got two experts in to validate if it was worth the work or not: bottom line - yes! A pair of love seats of this quality new would be in the $15k range. The Upholsterer I went with did a pair of mahogany chairs for me also, with some wonderful Osborne & Little fabric that we waited very long time saving up for! (also in pic - disk pattern). Both the sofas and the pair of chairs were hand me downs from when we were first married 20 years ago, and had s quite some age on them in the first place.

Here is a break down of pricing to illustrate how worthwhile this was for us, at least. BTW it was important that our Upholsterer was a great estimator of yardage. The other professional would have had me purchase another yard and with cost of O&L fabric that was significant in budgeting.

*1 Loveseat Reupholstery Labor $945(13yards)
    -new cushions
    -retie springs
    -new foam, cotton, padding, etc.

*1 Sofa Re-Style Labor $595
    -all carpentry/structural work to cut down to loveseat size
    *1 Loveseat Reupholstery Labor $945(13yds)
    -details same as above

26 yards of fabric @ say $70 per = $1,800 fabric (say) Total $4,285

Bear in mind for us the original cost was $0.00 since it was hand me down. As a wedding gift my mother in law had some slip covers made for the sofas which I washed many times when the kids were little!

Have fun with your project if you decide to go-ahead.
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    laurie, found this when I googled grey/gray, as I spell it "gray", and thought it was very explanatory and cute:

Gray is a color.

Grey is a *colour*.
  • Jamieson
    11 years ago
    It's just so Mad Men, don't think I could pass it up!
  • elcieg
    11 years ago
    My concern would be how clean the piece really is, so I went looking for advice which would address this and I found this article on apartment therapy.com:
    "Having survived a bedbug infestation two years ago, I am traumatized, so feel free to take my advice with a grain of salt. My first instinct is to tell you not to do this unless you absolutely need a sofa and this is a once-in-a-lifetime find.

BUT, if you're going to anyway, I would hold off on promising anything definite to the seller until you can inspect the piece. Turn over the cushions. Hell, turn over the couch itself. Pull at the seams and look at the joints. Unzip the cushions and look inside if you can. You aren't looking for live bugs (because you most likely won't find any unless there's a severe infestation), but black, ink-like spots, almost looking like dried blood, or little loose black specks that look like the inside of a vanilla bean.

Even if you don't find anything like this, I would have the couch cleaned by a professional before bringing it into my home, or rent a steamer and clean it myself (steam kills everything)."
  • PRO
    Charmean Neithart Interiors
    11 years ago
    Buy it. Have it cleaned before you put it in your house. Good luck!
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    clairefrom thecolonies has given you valuable info. I built high-end custom furniture & re-upholstered furniture for 20 years. This era used Latex foam rubber extensively..turns to stone and begins to leave more crumbs than Hansel & Gretel ever knew existed. Regardless of this, photo reveals the seat cushions are shot. Latex foam was also used quite a bit in the tight back construction, covered by cotton batting. If this is the case, chances are the whole piece may need to be stripped-down to the frame, which can be more than having a brand new custom frame fabricated.

If it has coil springs, looks as though they need re-tie. It may have "no-sag" springs, which have a problem, themselves, or may only be the burlap covering. The big dips in the cushions signal there are problems below.

I would advise AGAINST this purchase unless you are prepared to start re-building from the frame-up...and the frame should be tight, and hardwood (alder) construction...and not just stapled together.

If deciding to go new, buy quality...there is a lot of cheap junk out there, which you will be carting to the dump in a matter of several years. I'll never forget this large new ottoman a client brought in just to have recovered. A tag was still attached, "Hardwood Construction". The frame turned out to be knotty pine and pressboard. The only hardwood on this ottoman was in the legs!
  • PRO
    Decorating Den Interiors
    11 years ago
    I think it is a great piece and if you are a creative thinker you can do alot with it. There are many wonderful ideas posted. Best of luck and post photos after.
  • PRO
    nancy34
    11 years ago
    Has anyone heard, Baker is having product come from Asian Shores, please everyone, honor the
    wonderful quality of our furniture, that use to be, please have a good upholstery person come and look
    at the sofa and quote you on eveything needed to bring the wonderful wood structure back to life. Not
    everyone "lays" on the sofa, furniture without arms has a wonderful design for all spaces.
  • PRO
    nancy34
    11 years ago
    Again the trend for large seating instead of individual seating with cushions is showing up for us to
    purchase. The foam used across the waters is nothing but junk, the foam used in this piece
    may out preform anything new. Large seating like this will alway show use and with some fabrics
    it will have a waving look, I do suggest a strong construction in the fabric.
  • anigib
    11 years ago
    honey if you have to ask, tell me where it's at and i will go buy it !!!!!!!!!!!
  • PRO
    RMD Designs LLC
    11 years ago
    BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT!!!! There is so much you can do, depending on your budget, from leaving it as is to re-upholstering only the seat, to just adding the right pillows. BUY IT!!!...
  • mrsjune
    11 years ago
    I can't make my mind up whether this looks well-loved or neglected. Attractive, certainly, but I have to say it doesn't actually look that comfortable. The top cushion doesn't look deep enough to squash down into before you (or your derriere) feels the springs underneath. I feel a bit mean putting you off something that you seem so taken with but it could be a lot of money to bring it up to be both useful and/or beautiful but once you've been to see it and sit on it you'll know how much would need to be spent on it. And you'll know if you love it. Kind regards, June
  • anigib
    11 years ago
    a beautiful slip cover or reupholster . i would do it in a leopard or purple velvet. really nice if you change you mind let know . you can add a few pillows
  • PRO
    The Cabinet Studio (Canada) Inc.
    11 years ago
    For sure, then I would find the deepest purple velveteen and cover it. And what about mirrored feet or at least chrome.
  • Judy M
    11 years ago
    re-cover it in black and white houndstooth fabric, would look great against your gray walls. Yellow and black throw pillows. At least one lamp in the room with a black shade would also look nice.
  • defelilo
    11 years ago
    Please let s know: did you buy it?!?!?
  • PRO
    Kelli Kaufer Designs
    11 years ago
    Love it!
  • Hannah S.
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    All the feedback has been awesome! Thanks, everyone! Currently I'm still keeping an eye on it... my husband is a little unsure about not having arm rests, which I can understand. If we purchase, I'll make sure to post a photo!
  • PRO
    nancy34
    11 years ago
    Of course, when the male test out a sofa, he lays on it, without arms what would you do with your head,
    make sense to me that he's thinking?????????????????
  • PRO
    frenchiegirl
    11 years ago
    don't buy for him buy it for you !
    he can have another one .
  • PRO
    frenchiegirl
    11 years ago
    don't buy for him buy it for you !
    he can have another one .
  • PRO
    RMD Designs LLC
    11 years ago
    I'm interested to know what other pieces you have in the room. Which style do you typically lean towards? If you typically like traditional, then do not buy this. You will think that it is missing arms! I myself, love this piece. Especially for $250!!! You can have the cushions re-upholstered for maybe about $200 (it's not impossible...) and you will have a sofa that will look like a $4,000 sofa in the right setting, right wall paint color, right accessories...
  • PRO
    User
    11 years ago
    Would absolutely purchase! Love it and hope you got it!
  • tdelforge
    11 years ago
    Love this sofa, definitely recover
    It!
  • Christine W
    11 years ago
    I love it. I even kind of like the color and fabric. Maybe the stuffing could be refreshed. But if you are going for a recover, I think a grey or a blue grey may be nice or off white.
  • pies
    11 years ago
    this piece is very nice have you thought of money green walls, and another thought , is this cost effective or is that even a thought if not go for it and bring that retro piece back to life
  • pies
    11 years ago
    this piece is very nice have you thought of money green walls, and another thought , is this cost effective or is that even a thought if not go for it and bring that retro piece back to life
  • PRO
    Spiral Cone Legs
    11 years ago
    The circa fifty year old frame will no doubt be of higher quality, more sturdy construction than any thing, save for the most expensive sofas made nowadays.
    Buy it, reupholster it, and replace the legs with ours, angled for the ends and straight for the center two.
  • sashazak
    11 years ago
    Love it! Ok..if it is clean and not showing wear...DON't recover it..it is a find, work with the richness and age and add an oriental rug and some ecclectic pieces...wood etc.
  • esposk45
    11 years ago
    Did you decide to buy this sofa? I work in an upholstery shop and we see pieces like this from time to time. We usually recommend taking the piece down the the frame, and re-tying the springs, because then you are go to go for another 50 years, depending on your lifestyle. On the other hand, there are intermediate options. You should tighten the frame if it is weak; turn the sofa upside down and retie springs from there; turn it upright again, remove the stuffing from the cushions and re-stuff with high-density foam; and re-cover if you wish. Check out our website: http://www.homeandofficeupholstery.com/index.html