rudy65

Is Vermont Danby Marble REALLY more durable than the "regular" marbles

rudy65
9 years ago
I'm at a huge crossroads with picking an island kitchen countertop material (sink is in the island). I absolutely LOVE a slab of Monteclair Danby Marble!! I've heard online and through other sources that it is more durable than regular marble, but my supplier and fabricator both just say "marble's marble" !! I have a family of slobs who regularly make blueberry smoothies and leave blobs of it to dry on my current granite, which is tough as nails and able to handle the torture. What do you think and know?!?!

Comments (203)

• Design Girl
    last year

@Debbie Klausing - The backsplash is called v-groove (similar to bead board) and it was made by the person who made the cabinets and finished in the conversion varnish they used on my cabinets. I actually took that idea from designer Victoria Hagan, who used it in her kitchen in the Hamptons. My kitchen is actually semi based on hers. I do know that they make sheets of bead board that is very water resistant. I have that in my kids bathroom and believe it or not I also have it on the sloped ceiling in my shower. It's been there for 10 years and I've had no issue. Before I put it in, my contractor took a small piece and dropped it in a glass of water. There was no swelling or change after it was submerged for 2 days so we went ahead. I would use the four inch piece of stone over it for a cleaner look. There are SO many decisions to make it's mind boggling and everything is so expensive (especially now) that you don't want to make a mistake. I went for a classic look so hopefully it should always be relevant.

• Design Girl
    last year

@Debbie Klausing - I am thrilled but I think it will be another 4 months before I get rid of these guys. They will move to my laundry room, mud room and powder room next but will block off my access so hopefully the mess will be down to a minimum. Of course, they will have to go through the kitchen to get to my basement for the electrical and plumbing. Honestly, I just want them gone. There is so much dirt and I'm mopping constantly. Covid makes it more challenging as well. Then they have to do the patio, but at least that's outside. We started last July so we are at a year already. It was supposed to be done in 7 months.

• Debbie Klausing
    last year

Design Girl- it always takes longer than we think. I just triple the time that’s suggested. Being older makes me wonder about the mess, but I’m forced because of this dumb beautiful unfixable range!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Debbie Klausing - Well I don't know how old you are, but I am definitely not up for all of this. My kids are grown and out of the house so you would think it would be easier. I'm not finding it that way. Perhaps my fuse is just shorter and Covid complicates everything that much more. I understand about unfixable appliances. It's so annoying but maybe it forces an issue we have been avoiding. At least that's what is happening over here. I hope it's worth it in the end.

• Janice B
    last year

I am wondering if anyone could tell me how thick their Danby slab is? Is 2cm thick enough? Thanks!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    last year

If you're installing it in a kitchen, then no. Mine is 1 1/4 inches (about 3.2 cm), and some are thicker than that on islands. 2 cm would be okay for a bathroom vanity top.

• Design Girl
    last year

3 cm for a kitchen and many do a build up on the island

• Gabriela Ramirez
    last year

Thank you to Diana Bier Interiors, LLC, Design Girl, and everyone else for sharing all their insights and previous experiences with marble countertops in these informative threads. I have found them very useful. In fact, so much so that I have move forth with my own Imperial Danby slabs that are scheduled for installation on August 30th!! :-)!!

@E Ktz: I am not sure how timely this info is as I am just seeing your question from a month ago, but here it is. I was quoted $85.00 a square foot for the actual slabs (cost doesn't include removal, templating, fabrication, & installation). Cost does include a sealer with a 15-year warranty (but not Clearstone - that is my next consideration). And, it does include a trade discount. I am also in Atlanta, Georgia. So, I expect that the costs for the slabs might be lower than in NYS/NYC or CT. Hope this helps!

• learningresources
    last year

Hope you love it! I got mine about a year ago and it still makes me smile. It’s beautiful.

• PRO
    last year

Good luck with your reno, @Gabriela Ramirez!

• Joyce Lam
    last year
    last modified: last year

@Design Girl — any update on how the Hydro Shield is working out for you so far? I just got my Olympian Danby installed and wondering whether its worth the plunge for the More Anti-Etch ?

• Design Girl
    last year

@Joyce Lam - So far, so good. The price of the More Anti-Etch was outrageous and I remember someone (perhaps on this thread), perhaps another where the OP did her bathroom first and noticed it had a different look and feel so she told them NOT to do her kitchen. Hydro Shield protects against water and oil based stains. I do believe it will still etch with acidic products like lemons, etc. You do need to clean it with mild soap and water, or the spray cleaner they provide you. I also believe there are certain other cleaners you can use when you ask them. I am very happy as I feel I have protection without sacrificing the look and feel of the beautiful stone I have. I just couldn't see placing something people said looks and feels unnatural.

• Rachelle Burst
    last year

Gabriela, you mentioned that you received a Trade Discount. How does that work? Is it through the purchase of the marble slab? I’m in Atlanta and have ties to designers and wholesale furnishings owners. Thanks!

• Tara
    last year

I have been looking at Danby- Olympian and Imperial. I was just quoted $250 a square foot. This seems outrageous. Does this pricing seem very off or is this the going price?

• Rachelle Burst
    last year

That seems high to me. I was quoted close to 120/sf for Imperial Danby a month ago, and then I was quoted around 80/sf for Montclair a week ago. I think Imperial is generally higher than Montclair. The lady there told me that she thought "that they are not mining the Vermont quarries right now" but did not have any other information. I don't know, but this could be the reason it is so high?

• Tara
    last year

Thank you After researching I was expecting a range of 100-150. I did not expect $250 I wonder why the Vermont quarries arwnt being mined right now?

• Design Girl
    last year

I've never received a square ft price for my Imperial Danby. I selected the slabs and gave the fabricator my kitchen drawings. They then quoted me a price based on the amount needed and the installation.

• lesannelv
    last year

I lived in Vermont for 57 years and didn't appreciate the Beautiful Marble I had in my back yard. I live in Florida now and am having a hard time finding a stone yard with Danby marble. Please, if your listening, are there any fabricators out there from northern Florida that can hook me up with Danby marble, Imperial, Mont clair, etc.?

• Design Girl
    last year

@lesannelv - The Danby website lists various places in Florida that carry it. I found it in many more places than was listed on their website. I think it's pretty easy to find.

• Shasta
    last year

I would appreciate your thoughts. I have had polished Montclair Danby marble in my kitchen for 6 years. The island has bad etching from some appliances used without anything under them. Could I get the island honed and leave the other countertop/backsplash polished? Thank you!

• lesannelv
    last year

Does anyone have pictures they can share of Etching,Staining,Chipping?

• Design Girl
    last year

@Shasta - I find it odd that the island etched from cooking appliances. Was it sealed properly? Remember that marble is a natural material and will patina over time. I would hone the whole kitchen. I think it would look odd to just do the island. No sealer will totally protect against etching except ones that I think look and feel like plastic. I've used HydroShield with excellent results. It cost me about $600 to do my 9 ft island and perimeter countertops. It will not stop etching from acidic foods like lemons and orange juice, but does prevent etching from water and oil based stains. It also did not change the look or feel of my Imperial Danby.

• learningresources
    last year

Diana’s right! Think of European homes and how beautiful marble looks even hundreds of years later. My husband is relegated to working on the glass cooktop or the cutting board on the sink, for the most part! And I haven’t had any issue with it absorbing oils, but I do try to wipe it up quickly. My son is a great cook and I worry about splattered hot oil when he cooks here, as my backsplash is Danby. And we wipe up splashes around the sink, even though I probably don’t need to. Still… I have some etched spots.

• learningresources
    last year

Oh, and as far as pics of etching, that would be hard to capture. The stone just sort of dulls in the etched spots, but you can’t see it unless you get on almost eye-level with the countertop. Even my grandkids greasy hands caused some etching in a few places. But I still love my Danby marble.

• E Ktz
    last year

@Shasta i would hone the whole kitchen. I have honed montclair and love it. with honed danby you will be able to use comet and get rid of the etching like dyi honing. i used bullet proof sealer at first but wasnt satisatisfied with results. i used Akemo sealer which i think is similar to Hydroshield for a fraction of the cost. absolutly love that sealer. no stains at all, and i have teenagers that are messy. i also use their triple protection cleaner. it doesnt prevent etching but i think it gives enough time to wipe, the liquid just beads off of it.

• Shasta
    last year

Thank you all for your help and guidance.

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

Decisions, decisions! I have a quote for 12K for Eureka Danby Marble 3CM for a 10X12 L shaped kitchen with an 80" by 32" island. Standard pencil edging. NOT using it as a backsplash. Slabs have two 6-8" fissures and are NOT from the same lot.

Photos below. Is this too much $$$ for two unmatched slabs that have fissures? Do they all have fissures?

TIA!!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun - First, they do NOT all have fissures and I would not buy anything with fissures. I was in the same boat (looking at Olympian White identical slabs with fissures). I was told to stay away. I'm glad I did. I got two gorgeous slaps of Imperial Danby that I absolutely LOVE. As far as price, I think that is high (especially with fissures). I have a 116 x 42 inch island, a 192 inch wall that has a range top in the center so there are two 78 x 25 inch pieces flanking that and on the other side I have 72 x 25 inches of counter space. The 3 cm Imperial Danby that I selected is the most expensive. I paid 11K for all that with an eased or pencil edge. I'm in CT outside NYC where prices are high. Where are you located? I'd look elsewhere.

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

I can’t tell you helpful this info is—thank you! I am in the MetroWest Boston area. I grew up in CT outside of NYC so I am familiar with pricing there and sometimes it’s even higher than Boston.

I actually wanted Imperial but was settling for Eureka because of the cost.
    Any suggestions would be appreciated!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun - I'm glad I could help. My daughter lives outside Boston on the South Shore so I am familiar with those prices as well. I initially saw the slabs with the fissures at European Marble and Grantite in Bridgeport. I looked all over and found my gorgeous slabs at Fordham Marble in Stamford, They sold me the stone and also did the fabrication. Are you by any chance using Marble and Granite in Westwood, MA? I found prices are much higher if you are buying from a distributor and then that distributor sends it to your fabricator. I don't know if that is your situation or not. What I do know is that I would never get a slab with fissures as they can expand with installation and use. I'd also try to get the look you REALLY want. It is a big investment and I personally would rather cut back elsewhere if needed. There are so many sources out there, but you do need to spend a fair amount of time looking. I'm sure you will find the perfect slabs.

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

So I am using M&G because it was convenient and I really liked the guys there but 12.5 for two unmatched Eureka slabs with fissures clearly doesn’t make sense. Not sure what I was thinking but you responding so quickly kept me from that bad decision. I don’t know of any Danby slab dealers who also fabricate/install. I’m looking into it now.

I’m newly encouraged that it’s possible to get exactly what I wanted all along—Imperial.

I’ll keep you updated.

Thanks very much!

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

@designgirl I reached out to Fordham regarding the Imperial Danby. They said they could deliver it me in Boston. My kitchen is approx 1/3 smaller than what you described with yours. They gave me a price of 29K all in! I’m so confused. Were your slabs 11K?

Thanks so much!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun - Yes, my slabs were 11K. I would think the transportation up to Boston alone would be cost prohibitive. In addition, they would need to send someone to template etc. I am sure you can find someone up there that carries the marble and will fabricate it as well. You can start by looking on the Vermont Danby website for dealers (although I found many more dealers than are listed there). If you let me know what town you live in I may be able to help locate someone for you. You can message me directly if you don't want to list it here.

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

@Design Girl Thank you again for this info. The fellow at Fordham said the cost for transport would be 2K. That would still leave the pricing at 27K. So bizzare. I've been to so many dealers in the Boston area and the price for Imperial(approx 60SQ FT total) has ranged from 18K to 20K. There is nothing fancy going on my kitchen. It's an 10X12 L shape with an island approx 80" X 32". Even that Eureka(which I am now told is kind of Danby junk) was 12.5K installed---with fissures. Anyhow, I wanted to message you but when I clicked on your profile, there was no way to do that. I am in between Boston and Providence, if that helps. Really appreciate your time!

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

@Design Girl OMG!!! I just got an email from MGI in Waltham. I called them yesterday to ask about Danby(hadn't been to MGI yet!) and then sent my plans. The quote just came in for 11.5K! I am so THRILLED. Tomorrow I will take a look at the slabs. Fingers crossed!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun - That is great news. I hope the slabs look great. The only thing I can think of with the outrageous prices you got from others is sometimes companies bid to miss. They really don't want the job but will take it for a ridiculous price. I assume that's what happened at Fordham. They have plenty of work around here so why bother traveling and all the risk that may entail with the slabs breaking etc. I am posting some pictures of my Imperial so you can see what I got. Sorry, they were taken at night so not the best. Good luck tomorrow. It appears that Genrose Stone and Tile has 3 locations in Ma and also has Danby. You can also try there if you don't love the MGI slabs.

• librarylane
    last year

Certainly price shop! We went to 4 different yards. And we got the best cost for our Danby at Marble & Granite in Westwood Mass and had our fabricator in CT work with them to arrange transport. Good luck!

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    last year

Cheryl...seems quite high $. Have you done a hardness test on it yet? 2. If there are fissures, and NO back up slabs...what will you do if one cracks more in production and you can't use it? These slabs remind me a bit of some quantities. There are many varied hardness and porosities in quartite.

• PRO
    last year

Danby is marble, not quartzite.

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

@Design Girl Your kitchen is just stunning! And those Danby Imperial countertops are breathtaking. Honed, right? Your guess about outlandish pricing is on the mark. I also think that Imperial is so desirable in the Boston area that they just jack it up and wait for someone to pay 20+K for 60SQ FT of countertop. I have never heard of Genrose but will scope that out today as well. The Eureka slabs are totally out @Arden Hills Estates and you made an excellent point about the possibility of cracking during cutting. Things are moving quickly in the right direction with the help of you, DesignGirl, and others. Stay tuned and I will post pictures of my Imperial Danby soon. Thanks again!

• Joyce Lam
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun or anyone else interested in the NYC/NJ/CT area... I have a 50” x 118” 2cm slab of honed Olympian White Select sitting at my fabricator in Brooklyn that I didnt use for my kitchen project (annoyed at my architect for the gaff!!). I’m not sure what I paid per sq ft since I paid the fabricator an all in cost for the stone and installation but I’d be happy to sell it to someone at $50 sq/ft. If there is anyone interested, please DM me as I would love for something not used for my project to help with yours and be economical.

I’m finally nearing the end of my renovation after a VERY long wait and I cannot be happier with the Olympian for my countertop and blacksplash! I was deciding between Imperial Danby and Olympian White and ended up siding with the Olympian white for the grayer tones to complement the my cabinetry as opposed to the hints of caramel in the Imperial. This is how my kitchen ended up. Still waiting for my pantry doors to be installed in the coming year!

This is the picture of the slab

• PRO
    last year

Gorgeous!

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

Beautiful Joyce! I am looking only at Imperial but what a great buy for someone else. It's a gorgeous Olympian Select slab.

• PRO
    Arden Hills Estates
    last year

Diana Bier ..yes understood about Danby being marble...however, names can be arbitrary and.. different hillsides can be formed differently...regardless of how its labeled at the warehouse, always use your own eye( if trained) and... test a corner of it at the wheel. And... back up slabs are a recommended protection

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

@Design Girl Here is my Imperial Danby-honed with my BM White Dove perimeter and Quarter Sawn Oak Island. Quote was 12.9K for 60 SQ FT(2 slabs) but I got them down to 12.5K. Won't be placed until Jan 20th or so but I am so thrilled! Thoughts on hardware? Paint color? Backsplash? Appreciate all of your help.

Edit: 11.5K was for polished Imperial Danby from MSI but fabricated by MGI in Waltham. MSI did not have honed Imperial after all. This Imperial is from European in Norwood and will be fabricated by MGI.

• Design Girl
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun - I'm so glad you found something. I'm surprised that MSI didn't tell you that polished marble can always be honed. I've done it many times when I've preferred the look of a polished slab but wanted a honed surface. It can't be done the other way around though. It's hard to give advice from a photo and everyone's taste is different. What kind of look are you going for? My Imperial counters are soft looking without much distinct veining because that was my preference. Your slab appears more heavily veined so I would go plain on the backsplash. I'd choose what many may call the boring subway tile in a white that compliments the cabinets and stone and let the Imperial counters steal the show. My feeling is that too many patterns or even decorative shapes will make things too busy looking. You don't have to use the standard 3 x 6. I just finished a remodel and used a 4 x 8 in a new bath and it looks great. My cabinets are BM Simply White and I used that color on the walls and trim as well. In terms of hardware, again, it really depends on the look you want. Black would look nice on both the white and oak so that's my first thought. It's difficult to tell the actual color/undertones of the oak so it's hard to tell if a brushed nickel would go or not. I am just finishing up an 18 month remodel and it was no picnic. Hopefully your kitchen will be everything you want and more.

• Cheryl BKaun
    last year

@Design Girl Glad you mentioned honing a polished surface. I actually preferred the Imperial at MSI because of the softness/lack of heavy veining but the fabricator at MGI directed me to European for honed Imperial. Given this info, I'm going to email the salesperson from MSI to inquire about honing. What a wild ride all of this countertop seeking is--not to mention the endless decision making. Going to keep this process step by step because I am overwhelming myself not to mention my husband! Should know by next Tues/Wed about the possibility and cost of honing from MSI. Glad Houzz exists.Thanks again for your help!

• Design Girl
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun - If you preferred the slabs at MSI, I would inquire about them honing them for you. Even an already honed slab usually gets re honed (at least with the fabricators I use) before the install. Countertops are indeed a wild ride. The stories I could tell with this remodel, but I'll share my countertop story with you in the hopes of making you feel better. I knew I wanted Danby in either Imperial or Olympian white. I swear I went all over the state of CT. I couldn't find any "softer" Imperial but did find some nice Olympian White at Fordham. Still I continued the search and found more Olympian white slabs at European that I liked better but they had fissures, and I couldn't work around them. Even if I could I knew it wasn't a good idea. After about 6 more stone yards I went back to Fordham where I put a 5K deposit on the Olympian to hold them. 8 months later when I finally needed them (delays, supply chain issues - you get the drift), I went to Fordham's fabrication facility to do the layout. The slabs they had marked with my name were not the ones I had selected. I took out my phone and showed the man doing the layout and he agreed they were not the correct slabs. I was going to use them as they weren't terribly different, but when I looked closely I saw a bit of gray/green that I didn't like. Most likely my slabs were in someone else's kitchen. Well, I went back to Fordham and they had just gotten in some gorgeous Imperial that was so soft and gorgeous. It was meant to be as I like my Imperial way more than I liked the Olympian. I just hadn't seen the right Imperial slabs for me.

• sabrown72
    last year

@Cheryl BKaun - also in Metrowest Boston - I found a gorgeous Olympian white danby slab. Would love to see your kitchen and what you did for a backsplash! THANKS!

• vfabba
    last year

@Joyce Lam I can't figure out how to message you, is the slab still available?