littleblee

Timber deck or tiled concrete patio?

blee
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago
We were originally planning on constructing a timber deck coming off of our outdoor area downstairs, which comes off the lounge room & billiard room. However, due to the ongoing maintenance that timber decks require we are now considering doing a tiled concrete patio. We plan on using the same tiles we are using indoors to create a seamless flow from indoor areas to outdoor areas.

The problem is that when talking to my builder this morning he said that if we do decide to do the tiled concrete patio we will need to lower the height of the patio, by at least an inch, to prevent water from coming into the house. I am really disappointed now that I have found this out, as it will affect the seamless indoor/outdoor flow that I wanted to create. Can anybody verify what my builder has told me???? Do we really have to lower the tiled concrete patio to stop water coming in? Most of the patio is actually under the cover of our upstairs verandah, and I wouldn't think that water problems would really be an issue. I've attached a photo of our house so that you can understand what I am talking about. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (8)

• hayley
    9 years ago
    If there is a chance of flooding, i guess he is right, but does that seem reasonable to you? Maybe he just doesn't want the job. The weight of concrete substrate and tiles could be an issue too - would your existing posts be strong enough keep the whole thing up?
    blee thanked hayley
  • blee
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Minimal chance of flooding I would think and I'm sure my builder does want the job as he's already done Stage 1 and 2 of our renovations and all is going really well. I just wanted to know if there was some new product out there in the market today that helps with these indoor / outdoor transitions and while I've been waiting I think I've found something: Zero Threshold Drains by Customised Drainage Solutions in Victoria, Australia. I'm gonna talk to my builder about these and see if they will work. Will keep you posted.
  • Neetie
    9 years ago
    Hi yes I have been through this same problem. Builder is correct and go with their advice. However we managed to get our builder to do flush decking because they are putting drainage underneath the deck - not sure how but engineer got involved in that one. Our situation was a bit different though - we signed a contract saying it could be done so was up to the builder to find a solution!
    I did look at those drains you mentioned - a good solution but maybe check out whether the decking underneath doesn't suffer with water pooling underneath.

Good luck.
    blee thanked Neetie
  • Neetie
    9 years ago
    Ah and I just noticed to make matters more difficult the fall of your land is towards the house. Not a good friend of drainage.
    blee thanked Neetie
  • asquithoatley
    9 years ago
    Yes we have our patio down 1 inch but it still looks seamless ( we have stacker doors that open up) and i'm glad we did because we do get flash foods from sudden heavy down falls, and our large drain couldn't cope, so it has saved our house many times.
    blee thanked asquithoatley
  • PRO
    Archatrak Inc.
    9 years ago
    Another option would be to install a 'floating' type of paved surface which you can do with 3/4" thick porcelain pavers installed on 1/2" high rubber supports at the corner. Then the water would drain away under the pavers. See for example http://www.handytile.com/kronos-landscape-pavers.html#4
    blee thanked Archatrak Inc.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 years ago
    We are currently building and went from timber decking to concrete very early in the drawing of our plans as I wanted low maintenence.
    We live in Victoria and our veranda is 360* around the house at 1.8m.
    We do not have flash flooding like people can experience in other states however, our fall from the house to the edge of the veranda had to be 50mm for all the reasons stated in other responses, that you never want water getting into your home.
    I too wanted seemless entry into my home, naively unaware of the laws of nature!!!..... but it's just not possible as regulations require this compulsory fall.
    blee thanked Barbara Dunstan