houzzau

Love or loathe? Island benches

HouzzAU
9 years ago
The trend seems to be towards more use of island benches in kitchens as the food preparation area becomes more a part of entertaining.

Do you like having a bench in the middle of your kitchen or do you prefer it all out of the way and against a wall?
Godolphin · More Info
Love!
Loathe.

Comments (22)

• Luke Buckle
    9 years ago
    Only love if they are not too bulky - like the one in the picture. I wouldn't want it to dominate the room.
  • Angela
    9 years ago
    I have a galley kitchen with a short wall so one side of mine starts off as regular cupboards and turns into an island - the best of both worlds!
  • PRO
    SHARMA ARCHITECTS
    9 years ago
    ceiling is very nice and the wall adjecent to glass wall is just awesone but the dining table is not too much nice.
  • ln18b40
    9 years ago
    I love island benches because it allows to close your kitchen space neatly but still keep it open. Moreover if you have high chairs the person preparing the food can still face the others and stay part of the conversation. Plus, one last thing, you can turn it into decoration (wood islands are nice for example)
  • PRO
    Simplify LLC.
    9 years ago
    Love - especially the one in the picture. Time is always short, so if you have the space it's a very practical soln for interaction with friends and family while going about your business in the kitchen.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Loathe ... can't stand anything in the middle of the room.
  • PRO
    Coco Architectural Grilles & Metalcraft
    9 years ago
    I love the idea of a multi-purpose space that can be used in preparation as well as entertaining! It can be beneficial pragmatically and relationally!! Sometimes a big open space in the middle of the kitchen can be a waste, but with an island bench you can have more people working at the same time. This could be a great activity for friends or even guests! Sometimes giving guests something to do with their hands at a party can help relieve some awkward tension between people who don't know one another!
  • rtlafever
    9 years ago
    The center Island looks to hard needs to look softer. The rest is good love the floor and brick.
  • PRO
    LineBox Studio
    9 years ago
    Promotes interaction and conversation while preparing food.
  • PRO
    Centennial Glass
    9 years ago
    Island benches are a fad we're enjoying. They allow for cooking and conversation. Therefore, love!
  • PRO
    Osborne Cabinets and Millwork, Inc.
    9 years ago
    I love having company while I prepare food!
  • PRO
    Dawson & Clinton
    9 years ago
    The island as a kitchens centerpiece makes for a nice look. Especially with so many new and fun designs for lighting, and fans/hoods in these styles of kitchens.
  • fmicheline
    9 years ago
    We use our island constantly! Especially for large crowds ! I dress it up and use it as a buffet serving area. My island is also moveable . No sink . Even moved it out of the way once to use kitchen as a dance floor. Everyone always ends up in the kitchen !
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    Islands are a good use of empty space in the kitchen. They allow for a more efficient use of the area as well as functionality, providing additional work surfaces, eating areas, etc. There are several different types of islands that can be used. I don't particularly favor the one in the picture, but in general they serve a great purpose. Kitchens that are smaller and don't need islands shouldn't be crowded with one, but kitchens that are large and have a lot of empty space would definitely benefit from an island.
  • Gina P
    9 years ago
    I love kitchen islands! They encourage both separation and togetherness.
  • comfortablywacky
    9 years ago
    i can live with Island benches with sinks, not stove tops, being on the corner of the island imagine the splashing and the cleaning up. (flooring too)
  • PRO
    Prism Interiors
    9 years ago
    We like them but depends on the space, the size of the island, location etc.
  • rredpenn
    9 years ago
    I tend to love them in other peoples' kitchens (when I am the guest, and can sit there and watch!), but for a workstation, I'm not a fan. I'm short, and I'd rather have a kitchen table to use for chopping, kneading and assembling meals. The many times I've cut myself in the kitchen is a result of my trying to use a counter height work area...otherhalf, who is 6' tall, doesn't get it. One size doesn't always fit all.
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 years ago
    rredpenn when getting your home remodeled, etc. the point is so that its done to fit you. There's no one size for kitchen islands, and often times people do use a table to function as an island or something of the sort. There is no standard for what the island should or shouldn't be. Its meant to be whatever is necessary to make the space as functional as possible for the owner.
  • Lisa Williams
    7 years ago

Can someone please explain further what is meant by "island bench", it is not clear to me from the photo and I've not heard this term before. What makes it an island bench? Thanks so much :)

• Maria McNulty
    7 years ago
    I LOVE an island, but LOATHE ones with a large sink or stove top. Why would I want the mess in the middle of the room? They are great for prep, appetizers with guests, or putting food out for parties.
    When not in use, enjoy your gorgeous stone or wood etc.