jeannie_nguyen

Grey walls. Yes or no?

Jeannie Nguyen
9 years ago
What are your thoughts on grey walls? Hate them? Love them?

Vote and tell me your thoughts! I've been a huge fan of it lately and love to see the different color combos tied in with the walls. If you currently have grey walls, post your photos and tell us what other colors you used!

Dyna - Blakely · More Info
YES - It's an easy color to mix with.
NO - It's too dull for me.

Comments (239)

• kranno
    9 years ago
    When we moved into our home many years ago every single room was either painted cream or wallpapered in cream tones. We then painted everything in white tones. In the last couple of years we have remodeled the Mr. Bath and painted a pale blue with white Carrera marble tile. One of the bedroom is a medium brown with lots of white accents that also pops. We removed walls to expand our kitchen this year and painted the walls SW Mega Greige that I love. Cabinetry is off-white, white carrera marble backsplash and quartz marble looking countertop on the dark wood island. Open to the kitchen is the diningroom which is painted a lighter gray which makes the gold-toned draperies pop. We installed medium-toned wide distressed wood flooring.
  • 1citykitty
    9 years ago
    so refreshingly neutral
  • Related Discussions

curtain and wall colour for black sofa and grey and silver cushin

Q

Comments (5)
    Hello Seema, This color combination may be used with a lot of colors. Do you mind sharing the pics of the Sofa and the room along with the dimensions please. Thanks, Nitin CORNERSTONE DESIGNS Bangalore
    ...See More

Does the TV wall need a wallpaper when opposite wall is detailed

Q

Comments (5)
    Surbhi, The width of the room is not mentioned here but from the scale it looks like it is ~8 ft. Effective living area would be close to 90-100 sqft . Grey and darker blue may not a be a suitable palette for this area. However, the tiling is already done. You may want to go for lighter shades for the remaining areas like wall paint (try 8260 Asian paints) and maybe brighter contrasts for sofa and curtains. Bright pastel yellow or beige may be a good combination for upholstery. Thanks, Nitin CORNERSTONE DESIGNS, Bangalore
    ...See More

Wall matching with grey floors

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Fawwaz, You may consider one of these combinations - Teal Pale Green Soft Blue Pale Grey Off White or Pearl White All the best! Regards, RnD Atelier Nagpur
    ...See More

Curtain color for Living room. Turquoise and grey accent walls.

Q

Comments (12)
    I would suggest u to go with white sheer and light grey curtains only. If u want want to play with bright colours then it is safest if u add them in form of accessories or decors, reason one being the space is small n it’ll look more crowded then. It’s better if u avoid orange n yellow in this bedroom at least. If u can give a better picture of the accent wall colour here it would be better. Then u could go with a darker shade of it to form the colour scheme. White+Grey+Purplish brown. That’s it.
    ...See More
  • PRO
    Fay Jones Day Tile
    9 years ago
    I wouldn't want grey walls because here in Oregon we have grey skies.
  • PRO
    Deborah Bettcher - Decorating Den Interiors
    9 years ago
    I get that. I feel that way about my family home on Lake Erie in the winter, as well.
  • daljoe
    9 years ago
    Love grays! My dilemma is that my rooms don't get much natural light. What grays would be best in that situation?
  • PRO
    LB Interiors
    9 years ago
    dalojoe, just because everyone is painting gray, doesn't mean it is right for you or your home. I would choose a color that is not so trendy.
  • PRO
    B Interior
    9 years ago
    Gray has to work in your space. It is a great alternative to neutrals that we have seen for years, as in beiges and whites, but it does not work for every space in every area. Use what color looks and works best for you.
  • Verde Fisher
    9 years ago
    So many grays, dove, charcoal,pewter, harbor, cape cod, look lovely with crisp white woodwork, and just the right furnishings. However, for me, color affects mood. My neutrals run to shades of green; sea salt, celery, sage, as they blend into the background of the sea and sky accents that soothe my spirit; seafoam, dutch tile, indigo and navy. If I have the pleasure of spending my last days at home, I want to have the outside inside.
  • 88ranchlife
    9 years ago
    Pop is theeeee most over used word in "Designer Land" Eeeeeeeek!!!! I cringe every time it's used. Please, please come up with a better explicative.
  • Karen Heffernan
    9 years ago
    We have Benjamin Moore Gray Owl in our kitchen, mudroom pantry and hallways, and LOVE it. I was worried about gray in the northeast, but it hasn't felt cold at all; it seems bright when you want it to be and cosy at night
  • jack826
    9 years ago
    Has anyone used Stonington Gray in there living room and hallway? I am looking for a gray or gray blue to paint my living room and hallway. Any thoughts both positive and negative would be great! Thank you
  • jack826
    9 years ago
    Cara hunter, can you post a picture of Stonington gray. Is it more of gray or blue gray?
  • Karen Heffernan
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
    jack826 - I've used Stonington Gray in 2 bathrooms; I wouldn't say it's a blue gray (it's more neutral) but it's lovely.
    My Houzz: Asian Influences and Contemporary Interior Design · More Info
  • jack826
    9 years ago
    Karen, do you think Stonington gray will look lovely in my hallway and living room?
  • jack826
    9 years ago
    Karen, what is the undertone of gray owl?
  • jack826
    9 years ago
    Love your bathroom Karen!
  • Karen Heffernan
    9 years ago
    Thanks Jack! gray owl is light and very neutral - we love it. It's lighter than Stonington Gray. What colors have you already decorated with in your living room and hallway?
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    9 years ago
    I just painted my clients vanity cabinets, she did not want to spend a lot of money and since she is a sweet hart I donated the back splash. She loves it. So I guess gray is in.
  • makaloco
    9 years ago
    Some deeper grays can be nice (e.g. Comwest's bathroom above), especially when cheered up with white and/or bold colors. Most light grays are way too blah for me.
  • jack826
    9 years ago
    Hi Karen! We just bought the house. We are in the process of picking colors for the entire house which is lots of fun but overwhelming. It's a red brick row house in Brooklyn, New York. Any advice on colors would be awesome.
  • 10east
    9 years ago
    I am so tired of seeing grey everywhere! I live in a highrise condo building that was completed in the past few years, which means that everyone bought their units and moved in over the same 2 to 3 years. Most built their color scheme around grey, so it's one grey place after another.
  • Nicholas
    9 years ago
    I think wall colors should be a neutral backdrop for your furnishings, art, and how much light comes in to your home, condo, or apartment! I prefer a creamy or off white paint like "cloud white" from Benjamin Moore, it makes any space look a bit bigger and it's not so stark like a "pure white" color due to it's primary tint of yellow & black. I tend to go more monochromatic in my color choices so everything flows from one room to another...my new website called gentrified.net will be completed and up by beginning of 2015, it will have many different looks for everyone's own individual style & comfort. Will be posting on both Houzz and Etsy web sites as well...
  • rouxb
    9 years ago
    Being monochromatic does not mean being neutral...
  • Nicholas
    9 years ago
    FYI, I wasn't stating monochromatic is neutral at all as it's a preference for furniture pieces only...I like my wall colors neutral, hope that clarifies what I was conveying?
  • Lee Ann Freeman
    9 years ago
    Love, love grey
  • Ann Pineo
    9 years ago
    haven used it yet, go into paint my kitchen cupboards after Xmas, don't know what colour for the wall, the why the room is layed out I have to paint my dining room to when I do my kitchen ?
  • Cody Baggett
    9 years ago

It's a color that you can't complain about, nor love in my opinion!

• PRO
    Remodel Works Bath & Kitchen
    9 years ago

Yes, gray is a great color to use its easy to decorate with and goes well with a lot.

• jhmarie
    9 years ago

too much grey out my window - winter blahs. I need something warmer. It is not a bad color, I just like others better.

• elefantenkitzle
    9 years ago

I like all colours, so I like grey on a
    whole. In clothes it suits me, too. My husband loves the colour for walls
    especially French grey or any luminous yet calming shades of the same palette.

But I cannot say off the bat that I would
    use it willy-nilly in the home just because it happens to be trendy. It all
    depends on the available light, the mood of the room, the type of grey…in short
    all the logical considerations one would go through before committing. I have
    no grey walls in my present home but I am going to use a rich charcoal shade of
    it for some upholstery soon.

• Ann Pineo
    9 years ago

I want to paint my kitchen cabinets grey, but not sure what colour to pait my wall. I would also have to paint my dining room. Also don't know what colour for accessories, like window treatment, cushions for on dining room chairs, and other things?

• zellab
    8 years ago

I have grey walls in my kitchen and used multi colored pattern in napkins to create curtains. I pull out whatever colors I like and keep it simple.

• PRO
    Billiard Factory
    8 years ago

Gray walls are a a great neutral color to paint your walls and it is easy to find accent colors that look good with it to brighten up your room.

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    8 years ago

Great color! It's so easy to incorporate lots of different colored decor when you have gray walls.

• cegeorge1
    8 years ago
    HATE it. cool gray is a rain cloud. warm gray is smog. gray became popular during the recession because it's a depressing color!
  • Nancy Weiss
    8 years ago
    LOVE IT. We have a condo with pale gray--it might be a Ralph Lauren shade--and it's beautiful. You can add color and warmth with your art and accessories if you're worried about it seeming too cold.
  • Sybil Strawser
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I have been resisting the gray trend thinking it would look dull or cold but after trying several (lol..much more than I care to admit!) muted colors on my living room wall I decided to try Valspar's Seashell gray (very pale gray with a little warmth..like old sterling silver) and am astounded how lovely, light, and cohesive it looks with our pomegranate/gold/blue persian carpet and how rich the medium dark oak furniture looks against it! I don't want a gray room but as a neutral to use with color I love it!

• Liz85207 Liz
    8 years ago

worked 20 yrs in a dull grey office space. No grey in my house. Makes me depressed

• tdub1941
    8 years ago

Gray is ok for some people, but many prefer a warmer neutral such as beige. And some people much prefer a warm "blue," such as bluish green. What is distressing is that this gray, cold blue (& yellow) palette has replaced many choices in the beige and aqua palette. I am looking for a comfortable chair in that warm category and every time I find a chair I like, it is in that gray / yellow / cold blue palette. Trends aside, millions of people already have a beige & blue-green home and would like something to fit into it. When trends push other palettes aside, all those people may just give up finding pieces to fit their home. Then furnishings sellers wonder why sales are not as they expected.

• Donna Williams
    8 years ago

Fortunately, that ship has sailed.

• PRO
    Kristiina Eljand Interiors
    8 years ago

YESSSS

• Dell Ann Melvin
    8 years ago
    I like gray if EVERYTHING in the room is not some shade of black/white/gray. I don't want to live my life in black and white. Add bright colors and it us fine...if you choose a cool gray balance that with a warm color for a nice contrast.
  • Karlie Eldred
    7 years ago

Gray walls photograph really nice. Unfortunately in person the house can look like a prison if you don't have enough bright decor to balance out the drab color. If you live where winters are dark and rainy the rooms will feel depressing. Add some blue or green in the paint to give it some color. A grayish green or a grayish blue is beautiful but true gray can make a house look depressing, cold, bleak and lack that cozy feel to the home.

• PRO
    Starr Homes
    7 years ago

For our newest model, we used SW Mindful Grey for the kitchen and great room and had a great response from visitors who toured the home. We did balance the grey with dark blues.

• dfmcminn
    7 years ago
    I vowed in my new townhome to not have any gray anywhere. Ever. I find it to be the most depressing color on the planet.
  • kranno
    7 years ago

To me, gray is a neutral just like whites or beiges, and even some pastels can be neutral. White woodwork and adding pops of bright colors will wake us up. Gray kitchen cabinetry are the latest trend.

• Nanci Merczel
    6 years ago

I think people are just hopping aboard the gray trend wagon! Like they see all the shows using gray and say: "Wow! Gray is so popular! Everyone likes it! So I should like it too, so I can be just like everyone else!" Well frankly, I am so BORED with gray...and not just because it is so overdone and trendy right now, either. Gray is COLD. Gray reminds me of a cloudy dreary day. Gray has no warmth. Creams and browns, on the other hand, are warm, as well as being classier and cozier...they don't need to look dated if done right. Gray is the color of a zombie....cold and dead...

• Pat M
    5 years ago

My walls are grey with honey oak floors. Dislike this combo. It has no warmth and is not calming. Cool colors are not calming. I want some warmth and better overall look and feel. Grey may be trendy, but it does not blend with many furniture pieces either, esp. Mid century modern.

• PRO
    Jan McMahon Interiors
    5 years ago

It truly depends on the light in the room. But try Accessible Beige from Sherwin Williams. It's a nice neutral that would compliment oak floors.

• Lisa Hays
    3 years ago

I love my gray walls and white baseboards and trim. I realize that it’s not for everybody but having lived with white walls for most of my life this is just enough color and neutral enough that I can use any color I want to with decor.