natalie_mylnar

Need help with ugly home exterior

N Rochelle
10 years ago
We bought our house for everything but the curb appeal (we live in an expensive area, couldn't afford "cute" period houses). Therefore, we need some help making it less of an eye sore. It is late 1960's modern style, although the interior is remodeled in vintage industrial mixed with cottage. We are painting soon, and will go with a charcoal color and leave the deck as-is (weathered cedar). The orange you see in the picture will all be painted, too: I HATE warm colors (i.e. reds or oranges). So , my question is: ARE THERE ANY AFFORDABLE THINGS WE CAN DO TO "PIMP OUT" OUR HOUSE EXTERIOR? We can't afford a new driveway or new windows at this point, although I'd love black steel someday. Even though my style is not modern, I'm open to nearly any idea for the exterior. I realize that we can't make this house look "cottage-y" or coastal or vintage industrial. The architecture is very 60's modern, I get it :-) My husband is very good at DIY, I should also note. We built our kitchen from scratch pretty much.

Thank you!!! This is my first Houzz post :-)

Comments (30)

• bobcaygeon70
    10 years ago
    The charcoal colour will be beautiful. Personally I'd paint the deck railing black.
    N Rochelle thanked bobcaygeon70
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I actually love the black idea...except upkeep here in the Pacific Northwest is pretty difficult for black (or any painted) decks. I actually like the cedar as it's really greyed out and reminds me of the beach, haha. But I hate the rest of the house :-)
  • Related Discussions

Need help in designing exteriors for my new house

Q

Comments (1)
    Please save the floor plans as 'jpeg' file in order for them to show up.
    ...See More

need a help for EXTERIOR COLOR OF my HOUSE

Q

Comments (1)
    Hello! We are a windows and siding company, and have FANTASTIC siding. We use James Hardie siding and with our ColorPlus Technology siding the color palette depends on the region you are in. I have attached the website for James Hardie Siding and our website! Feel free to give us a call! http://www.jameshardie.com/homeowner/colorplus-palette.shtml http://www.wonderfulwindowsandsiding.com/ As for a color scheme for the house though- I would go lighter! That will really make a change and will bring out all of the details in your home! -Wonderful Windows and Siding
    ...See More

Help needed: Any ideas for this type of home exterior?

Q

Comments (3)
    carpet and wall papers both are printed which are giving a confused look. If one thing is printed we should keep others simple and single tone. So either the wallpaper or carpet can be changed in a monotone. Also add some by accent flowers pot/planter.
    ...See More

Need help My Exterior color...of my house.

Q

Comments (4)
    Modern houses like yours tend to be painted neutral colors. I'd go for white or off white with trim in different colors. I'd probably accentuate the horizontals, painting your porch railings a contrasting color. You can go to a website like SherwinWilliams, up load a better picture of your house and play around with color ideas. https://www.houzz.com/photos/texas-residence-contemporary-exterior-dallas-phvw-vp~1994082-Residence-contemporary-exterior-dallas https://www.houzz.com/photos/san-clemente-california-home-contemporary-exterior-orange-county-phvw-vp~2456325-CLEMENTE-California-Home-contemporary-exterior-orange-county https://www.houzz.com/photos/oakland-hills-residence-contemporary-exterior-san-francisco-phvw-vp~52742-Hills-Residence-contemporary-other-metro
    ...See More
  • brooksideto
    10 years ago
    I agree about painting out the siding charcoal. Lighting is a good way of pumping up the look and value of the home, pot lights in the overhang of the second level and over the garage. Add a cool gooseneck fixture to beside the big windows or on either side of the garage. Add flower boxes to the railing or build hedge boxes on the deck to add depth and colour. One last thought add shutters!! I think that would be my first step. Maybe in a grey blue? Food for thought, good luck!
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Do you think shutters would work with the style of the home? Any ideas of what style of shutter/which windows to put them on? BTW love the lighting idea....so true, didn't even think about that. Any opinions of doing a faux stone on the bottom level? My husband thought that might look good, wasn't sure.
  • PRO
    Sound Painting Solutions, LLC
    10 years ago
    Charcoal would look great on the main part of the home. Update your street numbers, light fixtures, and clean & brighten your deck railings. It would make them look much newer. Add some stain to them or just leave them. Living in the Pacific Northwest, it is also always good to protect surfaces with at least a clear seal to ensure the wood will last longer.

Good luck :)
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Walnutgreen---thank you so much. This is exactly the type of insightful and well-thought-out advice I was hoping for. I completely agree about shutters: totally wrong for this house. I was planning on altering the columns, so it's good to have the idea validated. I also thought that we needed something to duplicate or mimick the deck design above, but wasn't sure if that idea was crazy-talk, so thank you again. These things were just hunches that I had, but wasn't sure how to explain to my husband why they might be ideal, so it's great to hear the justifications/rationale behind them.
  • sally78
    10 years ago
    When I saw Natalie's "thank you" I had to read Walnutgreen's recommendations.

Natalie couldn't have said it better. Walnutgreen: your advice ROCKS!

I love when REASONS for design suggestions are explained---as compared to a bunch of pretty photos which may have nothing to do with the realities of the design dilemma (or people's finances)…

Natalie--can't wait to see what you and your handy husband accomplish. : )
  • brickln
    10 years ago
    last modified: 10 years ago
    Like walnutgreen's advice.
    What material is the "orange"? It reminds me of Core-Ten; maybe you could wrap that beam in some type of metal for an edgier look.
    On the deck, I think an easy change might be to replace the balusters with cable run horizontally. I'd also paint the fascia along the roofline in black to give the roof more prominence; leave the gabled section of the house in a lighter color and restrict the charcoal to the clapboards. A hint of color in the charcoal might be cool, too, especially since you have a wide expanse of pavement as you approach the house.
    I like the driveway on this house. Something to consider

Walnut Residence · More Info
  • PRO
    Ridgewood Renovations
    10 years ago
    Think about powder coated aluminum railings, in black, for the deck and stairs. It will give a much more contemporary look with the new grey color. The railings could be pickets, or better yet clear tempered glass. If you need privacy for the upper deck, then use pinhead glass. Be sure to check the state of the deck before starting anything, this climate can create a lot of rot in a sixties house.
  • PRO
    Columbia Redevelopment
    10 years ago
    We did a mid-century home a couple of years ago and I think the exterior colors on it would look great on your home.

The rest of the photos can be found here:
    http://columbiaredevelopment.com/one-year-ago-mid-century-remodel/
  • PRO
    Mountain Laurel Handrail
    10 years ago
    Check out Mountain Laurel Handrails to make your front porch a work of art.
    http://awoodrailing.com
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Sally78 thanks! I hope it will look at least a little better when we're done!
  • Brandon Schmahl
    10 years ago
    This house would look awesome with our stainless cable railing. The horizontal lines will meld nicely with the design of your home. I'm an estimator at agsstainless.com and we make an easy to install DIY all stainless rail system that will definitely give your home the high end feel. If you get a chance check out our website and let me know if you'd like an estimate. If you do just shoot me an e mail with the dimensions of your deck and I'll do my best to get an estimate right back to you. We'd love to help you out.
    Brandon 888-842-9492 brandon@agsstainless.com
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    My thoughts regarding the existing "heavy" appearance porch and stair rail, and materials substitution that would not be such a dominating distraction were the same as those of "snowblind". The contemporary look of cable rails seems that it would be in compliance and cooperative with the overall appearance, and produce a good return on investment.
  • PRO
    Brothers Custom Works
    10 years ago
    Multiple colors as in the pic provided by Columbia Redevelopment also seems to be a good idea.
  • fredm51
    10 years ago
    I would paint the deck board gray to get rid of the hard wood look dividing the first floor from the second.
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Unfortunately replacing the railing is not an option for now, since the deck is only 3 years old, my husband wants to wait. Interestingly enough, the previous railing did have horizontal lines, but because it was made of wood, it wasn't up to code (dangerous for children) so it was replaced with a very basic deck/railing. Hopefully someday we will replace it with something more stylish though.
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Snowblime -- love your railings...I'll definitely check into it in case it's less than I imagined. Thanks!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Natalie - I think your mid century house is very cool and coastal - can be even more coastal industrial cool with just a few tweaks. It will have a much more cottage feel with the right colors on it - and windows would make an even bigger difference - get pro help before you select those. The railing is perfect for coastal industrial - the weathered wood is your color guide and don't change out that galvinzed grid - perfection!

Let's color block the house with three grays - the deeper charcoal would go on the lower level. Replace the old style storm door down there with a full light glass one. Paint the posts charcoal, but the face of the deck and the address beam the lighter shade of gray - chosen to match as close as possible to the weathered deck silvery gray-brown. Order some very modern font stainless house numbers - 8 " high and start shopping nickel toned nautical light fixtures on the industrial side.

In the upper story, we're going to color block and break your house into two pieces from the front. To the left of your entry door, under the beam end, around the left end of the house, you need a mid-tone gray in that same shade but between the gray of the railing and the charcoal below. So, if the railing is bm baltic gray, the lower level would be bm eagle rock and the left side of the house, bm willow creek. For the area under the peak on the face of the house - bm light pewter. Beam ends and eave go to deepest charcoal contrast - here bear creek (These are colors to test - find the right ones to key off the wood railing and then use the website to go up and down the shade scale)
    matching railing - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/balticgray
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/willowcreek
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/eaglerock
    http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/lightpewter
    Eave / fascia / beam ends - http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/bearcreek
    If you had

Now, depending on the back of the house, you can either carry the blocking around to the back and shift under that point of the roof again, or you can carry each color down each side and switch to one uniform tone across the back - probably the willow creek(unless there is a great architectural point like we have here, it is tough to switch mid-wall). Let the peak front be the lightest to draw attention to itself.

In the recess around the front door, you use the bm eagle rock shade again, once the plane changes/wall turns or ceiling of recess starts.
    For coastal industrial, the front door wants to be either a strong bright marine blue or a watery blue-green depending on your interior colors. bm old blue eyes http://www.benjaminmoore.com/en-us/paint-color/olblueeyes is about the shade of the blue awnings you see used with gray along the coast. BM Azurite is a terrific blue green tone, more cottage but great with the warm grays. If you love turquoise you could rock rendevous bay.

For coastal industrial - don't paint the trim around the windows to contrast. When you redo windows, go for casements and awnings and stick with silver tones. Rock on the lower level won't do as much for you because there are so many openings - a uniform tone all the way across is better so don't waste your $ there. Put it into lighting and landscaping with a pro who will give you flowering native shrubs / water wise / coastal cottage landscape with some contemporary touches. Get a design and then carry it out yourself. Look for native / cottage / mod experience in their previous jobs.

Out back - use marine blue sails and umbrellas and white adirondack furniture - you'll get the coastal cottage look you were craving.
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Here's the kind of fixture (they sell it with LED lightbulbs for much more) I meant - cottage, industrial and coastal - (even tho it isn't nickel toned - it is perfection) http://www.lightingdirect.com/kichler-49065-hatteras-bay-collection-1-light-10-outdoor-wall-light/p2232403
  • Brandon Schmahl
    10 years ago
    Natalie One option that is pretty cost effective is to use your existing posts and run the cables through. We can help you with this option too if you'd like. Also I just saw the part that you're in the northwest. We're located on Bainbridge Island :) Yay for this weather!
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 years ago
    Personally I would paint the bottom charcoal or a similar color and keep the top as it is in a light to anchor it to the surroundings and add some landscaping. Stone facing (not riverstoneI might accomplish the same thing, but is pricier.

I don't know if your soffit and exposed beams are painted or stained, but with this sort of house they usually are emphasized and contrast with the roofing. A brown to tie with the trim under the deck might be nice, or even a bold color, depending on what you are doing with the rest of the house. A sort of maroon/burgundy/brown color was often used as well, and looks good with aqua and stained or naturally weathered cedar. Frank Llyod Wright called it Cherokee Red, and Tile Red is similar. By the late 60s though, they tended to go more with natural tones.

I would accent the front door on the second floor and de-emphasize the ground floor door, especially if that isn't the main entry. Some landscaping around that post would be helpful too. I do like the cable idea, but the existing railing would be OK once you change the rest. They were probably horizontal boards originally.

Chartreuse, aqua and turquoise are possible period colors for the front door. Even though you hate orange or brown (?) they are good foils for charcoal and these sort of colors and just a touch of a warmer color can really make the other colors pop. Making it all dark grey is just going to look like you are trying to hide the whole house I think. Even a palette of different greys needs some contrast and perhaps a punch of jewel tones to keep it from being flat and dull.

A view from other angles and one from a bit further back could be helpful.

These houses contrast light and dark and grey with natural stained cedar:
    Green Lines · More Info

Paiko Lagoon Oasis · More Info

ESG Unit One · More Info

Midvale Courtyard House · More Info

Has a punch of color:
    Olsen Residence · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/photos/32-small-1950s-eichler-expansion-midcentury-exterior-san-francisco-phvw-vp~1370445

Block House · More Info

Gable-front contemporary
    Christensen Remodeling · More Info

Hornstein Residence · More Info
    (with bright red doors)
    Donald Drive Residence · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/magazine/houzz-tour-earthiness-grounds-a-contemporary-louisiana-home-stsetivw-vs~5092099
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Thought this photo might be helpful. It's the real estate photo of our property. It shows that yes, indeed, the original "feel" of this house was supposed to be a sort of 1960's nautical. The deck was rotting and we couldn't afford metal cables, so we went with a cheap cedar design. As libradesigneye picked up on, though, it would still be possible it looks like to make our house look coastal again even without replacing the deck. I'm hopeful at least!
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    Wonderful inspiration photo - glad we helped you head in the direction you were hoping for. Remember, stainless cable rails can be used with cedar posts just fine, or you might return to a horizontal pipe rail . ..
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Yes, definitely will want pipe or stainless with our current posts once we can afford it, for sure.
  • N Rochelle
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Libradesigneye - would you paint the garage doors charcoal as well, along with basement trim? Sorry I keep bugging you but I love your vision! :-)
  • Aubry M
    10 years ago
    It's not all that bad, I think paint would definitely go a heck of a long way here. Maybe some planters etc.?
  • libradesigneye
    10 years ago
    That is so kind - here, let me visit again. Yes, whatever color the bottom level siding color is - here I recommended charcoal originally, that is the same color to use on those cool mcm doors with the tall slot windows. You want the bottom to appear unified and not have the doors break it up since the top is color blocked.

Did you get swatches or go online to see the specific color suggestions? I guessed based on the weathered railing that it might be a bit more of a warm gray - that is why the tones I set forth were not classic charcoal - the straight grays can read very blue and not work well with real materials -
  • pdk920
    8 years ago

This is a nice house. I agree with painting the garage doors to match the lower level, preserving the horizontal lines that are so important to this style of house. A dark color would play down their vertical windows while preserving their authenticity.