thomasmary

thomasmary
12 years ago
This tv came with the house when we bought it! Any ideas what to do with this wall?? It is the only wall to have a tv and we want to incorporate flat screen somehow?? Have been trying different paint colors but the wall seems to dominate and overpower the small living space. Thanks!

Comments (17)

• thomasmary
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    good idea but i was concerned by framing in the lower part it would make the room feel even smaller??
  • bepsf
    12 years ago
    Whether you frame it in or leave that TV there will not affect the overall space.
  • thomasmary
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    yes, i am sure you are right. it is an eye sore!
  • TanCalGal
    12 years ago
    What is that on the bottom? Here's a flat screen frame company http://www.flatscreenframing.com/
  • PRO
    debragibbdesign
    12 years ago
    Try putting a ledger stone or some other organic feel like cement slabs horizontally ,or a plaster finish thats rubbed back in colours that suit your style of home.Put it on the two walls to make it feel like it's meant to be there holding up the ceiling.Build in the TV like it's part of the structure and to house all the componants or maybe take out the wooden unit in the niche to the right and place your components in there with shelving.
    Hope this helps spark some thoughts outside the box!
  • PRO
    Jabelone
    12 years ago
    You've got the perfect opportunity there to recess a flat screen into the wall and then cover it with lifting artwork. Paint the rest of the wall to match the neighboring wall colors (looks whitish) and it will look great.
  • lefty47
    12 years ago
    Don't make a feature of a corner ---- if you have another place for a TV then rip out that area and just have it as a corner or fill it in and leave it. If you leave it as a corner then just put a pedistal with a sculpture or a plant there. Painting a color there just makes it show even more. I would get rid of the TV and get a new flat screen for another place in the house. Personaly I would fill it in - you will not make the room look smaller -- most corners like that are usually unused anyway. Just have the same wall color on as the rest of the room and just have a painting there. Usually when someone leaves something with the house when they sell it -- it's not worth keeping.
  • PRO
    VK Sustainable Concepts
    12 years ago
    Hi Thomasmary,
    If this is the only place in the house for TV, make most of it! First of all I have to agree with Lynda, about getting rid of the TV that was left in the house. I'm sure if such product was a top of line, the previous owner would have taken it with him/her. So why not get a nice flat screen TV and recess it into the wall and conceal it with some nice artwork? You have the perfect room for it. On the bottom you can always add a fireplace. As far as the color on that wall, keep it simple and cohesive with the rest of the house.
    Best,
    Andrea
  • Margaret Kottelenberg
    12 years ago
    I agree with Jabelone. Painting the wall the same color as the neighboring walls will draw attention away from it.
  • runningbear79
    12 years ago
    It looks like a perfect spot for a built in cabinet/entertainment center. I don't know what your tastes are like or your woodwork in the home, so it could be a simple white or Cherry and anything in between.
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    12 years ago
    Get rid of that tv and get a flat screen like other's have suggested. It's just too bulky for the space and looks dated. It also looks to big for the stand it's on, making the space look even more awkward.

The real issue is there is an opening that doesn't look cohesive. It looks odd because it isn't built in such a way that anyone could stand in that space if the tv weren't there, but yet it goes all the way way to the floor.

Some built-ins to hold your tv components would be great, although it looks as though they would have to be custom. Have them made to match the other built-in to right. Also, maybe a mantel type piece above the tv.

Paint all the walls the same color to eliminate the contrast. Right now the color is screaming "look at me, look at me" and unfortunately, what it's screaming for you to look at isn't that attractive.

Here's a picture to kind of give you an idea... It would require some additional drywalling, adding baseboards, etc.
  • thomasmary
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Great ideas. Thanks ! Really helping me think of more possibilities. Have been so stuck. Lori Beth, do you see shelves for components under tv as a possibility? Thanks againo all
  • PRO
    Loribeth Clark
    12 years ago
    You could definitely do some shelves for the components under the tv. I would just make sure that there is a kick plate or something underneath them so there isn't any carpet going all the way to the back of the opening. It needs to look like it was deliberate and not an afterthought.

Here's another picture to help you visualize it.
  • PRO
    TVCoverUps
    12 years ago
    That is definitely a tricky situation, have you thought about hiding your TV behind a piece of art like so?
  • PRO
    Susan Mills Design
    12 years ago
    Hi there, my first thought was to place an electric fireplace there, with low BTUs and no clearance needed, you can place the tv above it. Just make sure the tv bottom is no higher than 42 inches off the floor for best viewing. I would find one that works with your decor (can't see enough to advise on which one) as there are many styles. I would paint the wall the same as the rest of the room though so do not bring any more attention to it. If you add art on the walls around the room at the same height of have some tall cabinets it will not look like this side of the room is weightier than the rest of the room.

regards

Susan
  • thomasmary
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    Thanks for ideas! We have a plan to recess the wall above a new flat screen. Will post pics when done!