bclements48

Suggestions for kitchen backsplash

bclements48
10 years ago
Here's my dilemma. We are building a new home with professional Thermador products. I am contemplating installing tile as a backsplash including the area between the range and the vent hood. Are there reasons to consider the stainless steel suggested back guards sold by Thermador or is tile consider a safe and cleanable surface. Any suggestions of what to use in this kitchen as backsplash - color etc. would be appreciated. The cabinets are SW Heron Plume and the granite is UbaTuba. Wall paint color is BM Muslin. Thanks!

Comments (30)

• colemanchan
    10 years ago
    I have a tile backsplash behind my cooktop and it's easy to clean. I think you need something to stand out in your new space - it's lovely but very monotone. Maybe a porcelain tile with glass tile accents to add some contrast)? Or a subway tile in your favorite color?
    bclements48 thanked colemanchan
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    I would not do it right away, unless you have to. Live there for awhile and get some samples and place on wall and look at them in different kinds of light. I'm surprised you put the 3"/4" back piece on the wall - they don't do that now - dates the kitchen.
    See 4 pictures above - non have that piece on the wall.
    bclements48 thanked Angel 18432
  • Related Discussions

Kitchen backsplash - which tiles for a white Cottage/Farmhouse kitchen

Q

Comments (8)
    Hi Rasa, Nice to hear from you and I’m glad I was able to give you some inspiration for your kitchen tiles. I’ve included another image for you to look at that shows more of a farm house style kitchen with the coloured tiles. If you worried the coloured tiles might look too contemporary for your space, I would advise going for quite soft, muted colour tones to give you the same effect but in a more rustic style. You can see in the attached image how they have used a soft sheen, textured tile in neutral tones, with a subtle hint of colour to be in-keeping with that farmhouse feel. For your tile colours, you could pick up the off white tone of your cabinets with the grey in the granite, and a very soft hint of green or blue to add a little colour to achieve the same look for your kitchen. I have also added some paint swatches below you could use as reference for tile colours to help you visualise the combination. Off white: Greys: Blue or Green: Hopefully this answers your questions for you and I’d love to see some pictures when your project is finished. Good luck with the decorating. Paola Dulux Design Expert www.designer.duluxamazingspace.co.uk
    ...See More

Is glass mosaic tiles good for kitchen backsplash

Q

Comments (2)
    Yes, ofcourse. Infact, they one of the best option as they are durable and easy to clean.
    ...See More

hydrophobing coating on bathroom tiles and kitchen top and backsplash

Q

Comments (1)
    Mukti, From what you described, it seems you need a water softener than a hydrophobic coating. Salt based softeners are good for these issues.
    ...See More

I’m hoping to find some backsplash ideas for our kitchen.

Q

Comments (5)
    Greetings from Dream Design, As per your inputs we suggest some ideas -Don't go with too dark backsplash as it will make the kitchen dull after some time and kitchen will look smaller -You can go with marble/tile or even the same counter top like quartz if you use in counter top you can same also put in backsplash as currently it's in trend -take white color with some black/grey lines marble or quartz -or you can go with white designer lines with grooving Sharing some reference pictures
    ...See More
  • bclements48
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Angel--got it, and you have a good eye. Actually, we had that discussion with our granite source and with the feedback they provided (their personal and their customers') we opted to go with the back piece simply out of cleaning practicality. Still, your observations are borne out with the photos you reference and I trust the owners of those kitchens are also pleased with their decision. I do like the idea of allowing some time--particularly to experience the different kinds of lighting throughout the day, but we are somewhat pressed for time because the surface behind the range is simply painted wallboard--i.e. not a surface that will tolerate the kind of heat this range can put out. We can certainly "temper" our cooking for awhile, but need to remedy the issue sooner instead of later. Certainly welcome additional insights you may wish to share. Thanks again, b.
  • jagn
    10 years ago
    I would play up the look of your commercial stove by going with the Thermador stainless steel backsplash. If you don't want to care for a stainless steel backsplash, another good option would be to get another piece of your granite cut to extend behind the range up to the vent. I think this would look good because currently you have a broken line between the range and the flanking granite backsplashes, that to me looks a little odd.

If you decide to tile the whole backsplash, including behind the range, I would pick something white that closely matches the cabinet color. You can do an inset behind the range if you need more contrast and color, but I wouldn't do that everywhere, it'll give your kitchen a choppy/stripe-y look, because you already have strong contrast from the dark granite (the added 4 inch granite backsplash emphasizes this).

Good luck!
    bclements48 thanked jagn
  • Maraly Wagner
    10 years ago
    Subway
    bclements48 thanked Maraly Wagner
  • PRO
    JudyG Designs
    10 years ago
    Stainless steel tile backsplash kitchen glass mosaic bathroom tiles SSMT274 · More Info
    bclements48 thanked JudyG Designs
  • Angel 18432
    10 years ago
    I agree with bc48 you could cut a piece of black granite and run it across the back of your stove, keeping it the same height as the counter so it is one continuous line (not up a tad at stove area) hope you understand. Also agree, do some kind of design over the stove as it is a very large area and could take some kind of design. Look at some designs here on Houzz and see what you like.
    bclements48 thanked Angel 18432
  • PRO
    Subway Tile Outlet
    10 years ago
    A Glass Subway tile would look great in your kitchen! Let us know if we can help you get a few samples for comparison!
    Glass Tile Backsplashes by SubwayTileOutlet · More Info
    Glass Tile Backsplashes by SubwayTileOutlet · More Info
    bclements48 thanked Subway Tile Outlet
  • rsm49
    10 years ago
    Put a backsplash behind the stove but leave the other area plain. You will create a lovely focal point and not have designs vying for attention. http://houzz.com/photos/468289
    bclements48 thanked rsm49
  • baca
    10 years ago
    I didn't want to do a quilt pattern in tile that i saw everywhere so we had the craftsman who made our lights make an asymmetrical piece for the backsplash. It even has hidden hooks if I ever get pots fancy enough to hang up!
    bclements48 thanked baca
  • Hansi Manning
    10 years ago
    Coloured glass cut to size and to fit exactly above the stove, easy to clean unlike tiles. Don't decided on colour until you have moved in just live with it and it will come to you.
    bclements48 thanked Hansi Manning
  • bclements48
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    So for safety purposes, you are saying the back guard is best, correct? We have a clearance of about 36 inches between range and vent hood. The high shelf (handy for keeping foods warm, etc. is 22 inches leaving about 14 either for painted wallboard or tile. The low backguard would leave about 27 inches. Since the range has already been installed, would it be difficult to now install the backguard?
  • User
    10 years ago
    I am saying that, unless you replace the wood studs in the wall behind the stove with steel studs and use concrete backer board for the tile instead of paper faced sheetrock, then the back guard is required. It is NOT just an option. "When there is less than a 12" (305mm) horizontal clearance between combustible material and the back edge of the range above the cooking surface, a THERMADOR® Low Back or High Shelf ""MUST"" be installed." The International Residential Code does not accept tile applied directly to a wood framed and sheetrock wall as adequate protection of the wall for a reduced clearance of less than the 12" specified by the UL Listing and Labeling.
    You will probably need to pull the stove out to fix it.
    bclements48 thanked User
  • sally78
    10 years ago
    I love the way tile looks and how easily it cleans.

When my husband put in a tile backsplash in our last house, he easily removed the 4 inch thing with his putty knife and a little crow bar or large screw driver and then put up the tile.

You need it now to seal the place the counter and wall meet. No big deal to remove later when tile will come down all the way to the counter.

He didn't use concrete backer board to put the tile on. That is for a shower, not the amount of water used in a kitchen. Tile right over sheetrock is okay for kitchen purpose. He has done this in two houses---looked great, worked as it should, was durable.

Your project isn't that complicated and will be a plus in your kitchen for both function and appearance.

Happy Decorating!
    bclements48 thanked sally78
  • User
    10 years ago
    @sally read the codes before commenting. The concrete board is for fire protection. It has nothing to do with water. The BTU output of this cooktop is higher than the furnace in many houses.
    bclements48 thanked User
  • bclements48
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    I think we will go with the SS Thermador backguard. It seems to be functional and necessary. The manual says, just like Fred S, that it is not an option which makes me wonder why the salesperson did not tell us that. Now we know. More than likely, we will use a glazed subway tile with a crackle finish in the same color as the cabinets. Though this kitchen has a clean, simple look, the design is not modern. I hope to post pictures of the project when finished. I did not post the remaining three wall of the kitchen and an island is coming. Our builder has been amazing!
  • User
    10 years ago
    Hopefully, other people will read this and understand that the salespeople are not that forthcoming about this. I have even had people call the different manufacturers of these high BTU output stoves, and the technical rep will flat deny the need for such protection even though UL makes them put it in the installation instructions :(
    It is too bad, because it would not be a hard fix at all if it is known at the very beginning of remodels. It is mostly only the biggest models of each brand that this applies to.
    bclements48 thanked User
  • bclements48
    Original Author
    10 years ago
    Agreed! Glad I posted and sought opinions. Our builder was willing to correct by installing concrete board but decided the most sensible (yet expensive) route is to install a back guard and do it right from the beginning!
  • gordawg
    10 years ago
    What fun... Add texture and color.
    bclements48 thanked gordawg
  • Brian
    10 years ago
    Black and white alternating subway tile would look great. Serious pop factor.
    bclements48 thanked Brian
  • Ms-sis
    10 years ago
    You have put some lovely details in your kitchen. The wood floor is very nice, the simple beauty of the cream cabinetry with the crown is a classic, and the stove is a huge wow factor. Have you considered doing a cream tile on an angle? I love a sort of houndstooth pattern with a darker grout that bridges the difference in the countertop and cabinetry. Some more simplified pattern with a dimensional tile can add textural interest and also utilize the darker grout to play up the black/white contrast with a little more pop. Your kitchen is a classic beauty, hope you'll enjoy for many years to come.
    bclements48 thanked Ms-sis
  • km kane
    10 years ago
    pretty sure Fred S has it right about the area behind the Thermador. As for the rest, tile on drywall, properly prepared, should be fine. I would never have put up the 4" piece though, and don't understand the "cleaning practicality" part. If you install tiles, take it off.

IMO, an ivory matte subway with light grey grout would be nice. The grey would play off the counter top and the stainless of the range, plus break up the expanse of white. If the heat output from this range allows, consider a 4" deep shelf running between the cabinets above the range, that also breaks up the white, and paint the small area above the shelf the same color as your kitchen walls, for more color. The power of your fan will keep it grease-free. Also, a liner tile of either stainless steel or a color two-thirds of the way up the backsplash would also break up the expanse of white from the cabinets and backsplash.

Coming along beautfully!!
    bclements48 thanked km kane
  • PRO
    Interior deisgner/IKEA
    10 years ago
    perosnally looking at the style of your kitchen i think something like slate mosaic tiles would really set of the black worktop and upstand, to really help set it off some under cabinet lighing would make the work tope really stand out and shine.

or possibly go for some victorian style brick tiles very popular! off white with maybe a black row, or smaller feature tile. nice kitchen though will look great when finnished!
    bclements48 thanked Interior deisgner/IKEA
  • PRO
    AFS Mosaics
    9 years ago
    If it's not too late, consider custom. http://www.mosaicsbyariel.com
  • Angel 18432
    9 years ago

Mosaic, April 2014 post - how do you dig these up? Comments are a bit late.

• PRO
    Regal Designs Savannah
    8 years ago

Simple ivory mosaic tiles behind your cook top would be fabulous - then consider ivory subway tiles for the space underneath your upper cabinets.

• Angel Garcia
    7 years ago

@Fred S, thank you for stating the fact that by using concrete backer board for the tile instead of paper faced sheetrock, because I am going through a full kitchen Reno and I didn't want to us any of the DCS S/S blackguards being recommended. Therefore I am going with your suggestion and I will also carry the porcelain tile back splash below the counter top for added measure. I believe this will also give me better piece of mind when in the event of a fire and for insurance purposes.

• Angel 18432
    7 years ago

Fred, you are a wonderful poster. Good to have you help us all.

• User
    7 years ago
    Dark blue mosaic